1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mediplayer?

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by lijertje, Sep 9, 2005.

1. lijertje

lijertje Member

i want to see a movie but when it plays i only see a a quarter of the whole screen and i dont know how to fix that

do you know the problem

2. nrautava

nrautava Guest

Does some other player show the whole picture?
    -player like Media Player Classic, VLC or BSPlayer..

If not, problame is in video and then I do not know any way to fix it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005
  3. tednor

tednor Member

Which player are you trying? I know diddly squat about these things. but mplayer (availible in multiple builds, so you can try going back if latest isn't doing it) allows you to read the programs output, and this idea is probably the single most inspired approach in an incredible and awe-inspiring project!

It means that with the output displayed, even an absolute moron like me can see what has been going wrong. It has helped me many times in the few short weeks I've been using it. You may also find that mplayer just fixes the problem itself by trying different chains of filters, etc. Give it a little time, another genius element in design.
    I have to reiterate that I know NOTHING, but I have seen this program do amazing things with video and been struck by it's transparency of operation.

As it uses it's own codecs and can be told to bypass DirectX (at least in the build I'm using), you can immediately tell if the problem is inherent in the source file or lies with the system/codec setup. Of course if this question is in regard to an area where mplayer can't be used or for some reason output can't be displayed, then I'm contributing nothing to helping you, but I hope otherwise.

Also the common sense first advice I should have given is probably to check that you have the latest drivers for your graphics setup and that they are properly installed, second that if you are using windows you have latest directx. I trust others will correct me if I'm off on anything.

PS - I admire the awesome scope of BS Player and the incredible amount of work/generosity of the guy who created and maintains it, but on my system it always runs into trouble and for the uninitiated it offers a dizzying array of options (which are probably a godsend to those who know what they're doing but can tempt one to experiment a bit too much...). For the idiot user like me with attention deficit issues, I recommend the mplayer. Be sure to get a gui for it and the mplayer codecs (usually included in 3rd party install packages, which are referenced at the mplayer hq site).

4. tednor

tednor Member

oops, I have to note that VLC incorporates many aspects of mplayer and if I'm not mistaken you can select to view the output from VLC as well, so the guy before me was right to suggest it.