1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod chip and backup

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by creatine, Sep 17, 2005.

1. creatine

creatine Member

I am planning to mod my GC with the Qoob Pro chip, but I am doing as much reading up as I can before I go ahead with it. I read up on a few things on modthatcube.pxn-os.com but I am confused about backing up original disks to dvdr. What I understand do far is that I need to flash my mod chip with a bios (qoob_13a) and need a broadband adapter to stream the iso to my PC. This is where I get confused. The site mentions that GCOM is the best app to create isos of GC games, but I don't understand how to use it\load it on my GC\establish a connection with my GC, etc. I am hoping someone can give me a step by step procedure on how to do this. Does my mod chip have to be flashed with any addition software ? Is there another app I should be using to create isos ?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the noob question.

2. nunzio738

nunzio738 Member

Ok on the QOOB PRO chip you will need to load the disk ripping program to it. For the GCOM, first you need to go to the command prompt and configure the ip address for the pc and the cube. If unfamiliar how to do this, look for help in running the CMD command in the RUN line. Go to the directory where you extracted GCOM, then type in command line gcomconfig it will show you a usage line. You will need to enter the ip address of your PC and Cube example –pcip 192.168.0.104 –gcip 192.168.0.101 –mask 255.255.255.0 then enter. Note your ip will be different. As I am using a router and that‘s what ip address are assigned to them. Ok once you have that done it GCOMCONFIG will create a DOL file for you. That is what you will load to the CUBE. Hope you read on how to use the QOOB flash program. Once that is done then load the app then load internet explorer. What you should then see in the CUBE is something like the (192.168.0.101/backup.iso) from IE you would type in address (http://192.168.0.101/backup.iso). It should then start streaming and then ask you where to save the ISO. You can leave the save file name as backup or change it to what ever you want. Once all that is done then use your burning program of choice and start burning. I hope this helps out. Good luck!!!

3. creatine

creatine Member

Ok, I get it now. Thx for the explination. Just 2 things I would like clarification on.

#1 How do I load the disk ripping program to the qoob chip ? Does it have to be flashed to one of the other banks ? What is the file name for the disk ripping program so i can search for it ?

#2 Once I have my DOL file, how do I load it to the cube ? Does it have to be flashed to one of the other banks on the qoob chip? Does the DOL file have to be loaded everytime I want to rip a game or is it a 1 time thing.

Those were the parts that were unclear, I understand the networking aspect 100 %

4. nunzio738

nunzio738 Member

Go here to find files http://modthatcube.pxn-os.com/main.htm
    Using the flashing software thru the usb cable for the QOOB and flash to the other banks. Then when boot the bios hold down B to get to the bios menu. Under applications look for GCOMCONFIG, follow the prompts from there. Agian you should see 192.168.x.xxx/backup.iso. If you all is going well the streaming will appear in the cube and thru the pc you should see it transfering. With my network and GCOMCONFIG I am seeing speeds around 2.1 mb/sec. So it take about 15 min to rip to pc.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  5. creatine

creatine Member

Ah ok, I have to flash the .dol file i created on my PC to one of the other banks on the mod chip. Thats the part that I didn't find clear. I get it now.

Thanks alot for the help.

6. hybrid_x

hybrid_x Member

Hmmm, I have done all of that and I get to that stage. I go to internet explorer and enter all the details and it wont go it just goes no where. Ive tried wget and it doesnt work either. I get to the save point in IE and it just does nothing. Is there anything ive done wrong? Is there anything anyone can think of that might just help? I can get images and i got one from the qoob bios but i heard it gives dodge images and they have errors in them. any help would be much appreciated

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  7. nunzio738

nunzio738 Member

First off hybrid_x. Are you using a cross over cable or connecting thru a router. If using a router it will set the ip address for the cube and the pc. So you wil need to enter those values into the .dol file. If using the cross over cable you will nee to set a staic ip address for the network card, then enter those values into the .dol file. Once you have the ip address's of both it should go thru ok, if not then you may have a bad cable. Hope this helps out!!!

8. hybrid_x

hybrid_x Member

I was using a crossover cable and i did all the networking stuff right and i know the cables not bad cause i extracted an image by using the Qoob Bios method