1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EDTV Question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ragnarok2, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

Alright so I'm planning on buying a 42" EDTV Plasma TV to put up on my wallhttp://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=ELEC&pid=05775535000&subcat=Plasma+%26+LCD+TVs
    I was wondering if I should spend an extra few hundred dollars to buy an HDTV. Would I even get a noticable difference? And what about my Playstation 2...would that like damage the plasma TV? Thanks.

2. TooBokoo

TooBokoo Guest

Plasma TV's are the most prone to burn in. I'd recommend going a different route for gaming. And dude, for 2000.00 yes, get an HDTV. 480p looks good, but 720p, and 1080i are breath taking. And for that same price you can get a huge HDTV. Everything is going HDTV so it'd be a smart move. If you are already spending that much go HDTV or you'll be very sorry in a year or two. Seriously. All the next gen systems are supporting 720p and 1080i which an EDTV will not do. As well, as Blu-Ray and HD-DVD being higher definition. So if spending that much already go HD!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2005
  3. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes it does Ragnarok2.

Don't worry about burn-in with the Plasma screens. These new-gens are as about as prone to burn-in as CRTs (Old-Tube tvs)! If you have never burned-in a CRT then you don't have to worry about ruinning your Plasma tv.

Plasma tvs offer the best picture quality available. They have excellent black-levels, meaning that the tvs are great at producing acurate rich colors and offer improvments over projection tvs in the area off shadow detain aswell. Plasma tvs have always been brighter and easier to see from any angle. They have also been able to keep up with the action on screen, no lag or screen door affects like LCD. Thats why they cost more.

HD on a plasma is as good as HD can be. The only problem is that most only support upto 720p! They except better but will downconvert to 768p (WXGA resolution). The good news is you probably wouldn't notice it without a side by side comparrison (with a HD-CRT! :).

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2005
  5. TooBokoo

TooBokoo Guest

^^^ What has changed in the new plasmas from the old that make them not prone to burn in?

6. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

If i were you i would get LCD t.v. They don't use gas so they last longer. They have better picture and bright. I would never buy plasma but that's just my 2cent

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Its not gas, its Plasma :) And the new plasmas last for 60,000 hours till half-life (the point where the TV is half as bright as it was when it was new). 60,000 hours is the equivalent of whatching tv for 5 hours a day for 32 years (calculation: 60,000 Hours / (5 Hours * 365 Days = 32.88 years)!

No LCD has a viewing angle better than a Plasma. LCD is also subject to Pixel-burn out. The panels used in LCD use organic materials as light shutters (Liquid Crystals, not actually a liquid or a crystal) that ware unevely over time, unlike the plasmas. Besides the largest LCD (flatpanel) is only 40".

Well you know where I stand,
    Ced

8. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2005
  9. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

I dont think thats an actual LCD TV, because of its depth. Correct me if im wrong (which I probably am) but isnt an LCD tv usually around 9 inches max? I think that is one of those slim rear projection HDTVs.
    And also, plasma tv's have no definite lifespan yet, since they havent been around long enough for enough of them to burn out.
    EDIT: Just looked at it again, now im really confused. For a 52" LCD TV it only cost $2200

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That is this:
    http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...rogram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

Its a [bold]Projection[/bold] tv not a Flat-Panel. Its a little different. Same technology but can't be hung on a wall. Imagine a projector in a box! Its light engine is based on the LCD concept.

An yes you can accrately predict the life (or Half-Life) of chemicals used in plasma televisions (the three phosphors: Green, Blue, and Red). CRTs also use Phosphors to produce colors.

CRT:
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/tv4.htm

Plasma:
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/plasma-display3.htm

--LATER--

@ TooBokoo,

I just saw your question, the simple answer is matrials and maturity of the tech. Also, I don't believe that plasma screens have ever been that prone-to burn-in. It was just a negative that could manifest itself in the real world for using the tech as a TV. For the most part retailers that don't (or didin't) sell plasma tvs used the burn-in and life-span topics to keep thier Flat-Panel LCD and Projection tv sells up. (Its like saying CRTs are horrible because they are prone to galvanization, but we all know its not that big of a deal). The biggest difference is that all the newer sets have a feature that shifts the picture on screen a couple of pixels every-once in a while if the image isn't changing. The shifting isn't noticable.

Also their are two types of burn-in. Static-Burn-in (Ghosting) and Burn-in (Screen-Damage). Static-Burn-in isn't permanent and is cause by the ions (phosphors) being excited for long periods of time (like 30 min). True Burn-in occurs when damage is done to the screen. This damage takes a very long time to accomplish (several days consecutively).

Static-burn-in can be resolved faster by running (looping) an intense white screen for a period of time. But it will rectify itself. After that, its gone forever.

Current Plasma TV technology has been around since the 70s!
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2005
  11. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

Oh ok...can anyone reccommend a good Wall-Mountable HDTV? All the bigger ones can't be mounted on a wall...which sucks.

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

13. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

14. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Nah, you want something with a max resolution of 1024x768. That tv has a resolution of 852 x 480. Dont go to sears unless you know exactly what you want. I would suggest something like bestbuy.

15. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I still recommend the Panasonic brand. I find the Samsung Plasmas to have poor color reproduction caused by having horrible black-levels. Almost no shadow detail.

All the EDTVs in question will except HDTV signals. But, they will only display HDTV signals at enhanced definition (480p/DVD quality) at best. EDTVs down-convert 720p and 1080i signals to 480p automatically.

For the money I would get the Panasonic EDTV,
    Ced

16. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2005
  17. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Looks good, except for the name. Never heard of it. You might want to go to Best Buy and check it out, make sure it doesnt have a crappy image or anything.

18. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

19. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thats what I said, I mean its not phonaminal but its better than most. Its very clear, crisp, and vibrant. When your source is a signal as clean as a digital HDTV one your picture is always going to be better!

As for the Maxent, I sell thoughs and can tell you that they suck. They are cheap because they don't have any type of tunning capability. Since they are true HDTV (-read) monitors you must have an external source like: Cable, Satellite, or an NTSC/ATSC off-air tuner! The Maxent's HDTV picture quality is subpar, not the quality you would expect from your main/theater tv.

TV mounts aren't that expensive. They cost as much a a decient TV stand. You don't want to go cheap on the TV mount. Its holding your multi-thousand dollar investment to the wall! Generally the mounts vary in mobility. Mounts that tilt cost more than flush mounts. Mounts that make installation easier cost more than mounts that tilt. Mounts that are both easy to install and tilt... well you get it.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2005
  20. Ragnarok2

Ragnarok2 Guest

Ok alright so I know which TV im going with(the Panasonic one)...but im really worried about burn-in. I heard that plasmas are prone to burn in the most in the first 200 hours of use, and i'll be afraid to play games on it....cause they all have like speed gauges and stuff like that...so im worried about that kinda burn-in. What do you guys think...dont the newer tvs come with some technology that reduces the chances of burn-in?