1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tough choice - ILO DVDR04 $60 or ILO DVDR05/MU $98?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by pinkpank, Sep 29, 2005.

1. pinkpank

pinkpank Member

Since I'm homebound watching the baby for 2 months, I decided to buy one of the new "cheapo" <$100 DVD recorders. After a few moments of research and despite my dislike of WalMart's policies, I looked to see if they had the fabled "DVDR04" still for sale. Voila, the on-shelf demo was an 04, and I got it for $60. Works pretty well, even though the (mono) tuner is kinda cheesy.

In a rare moment of luck, the only "boxed" ILO they still had was a DVDR05, which happened to be the mystical "MU" model. But this one was at list price, $98. So I bought both.

After reading about these for a week now, I'm glad I have the MU, not the ZU. But I'm not certain whether I should keep this R05 (CyberHome 1600) MU model or if the R04 isn't the better unit in the long run . . . . opinions? The price is close enough so that it doesn't matter. And I don't do anything "mission critical" with these, so I don't need them to last 5 years or play every single type of media file. I do, however, need region free settings, which are available on both.

What's better? 1600/R05 "MU" or the R04?

IMHO, I like the R04s standard width, solid "feel", nicer remote (I don't use universals) and cheap price. Yet I like the 1600/R05s tiny size for it's own reasons. What's an OCD mind to do? :)

TIA

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Well, let's see ... LiteOn has lots of on-line support and is the #1 selling set top DVD recorder AND Cyberhome has virtually no support and is problematic.

The R04 is a rebadged LiteOn and the R05 a rebadged Cyberhome.

The choice is crystal clear

Congrats on your new famoly member and happy burning!

3. pinkpank

pinkpank Member

Hey, thanks.

The thing that made me hesitate was that the 1600MU was supposed to be a much better unit than the 1600ZU (the latter is the one that gave the CyberHome 1600s a bad name, I think, while the former MU model has a much better chipset and/or recorder?!?).

Of course, since last week we've found three more new in box DVDR04s, so it makes more sense to have the same unit across my entire family - since I'm the one that supports all of them. :)

4. KimTx

KimTx Guest

"What's better? 1600/R05 "MU" or the R04?"

I've had both of these machines. The 05-MU I took it back the next day after I got it. It was very unstable. It couldn't even find the disc most of the time. It kept giving me "no disc" errors. I wish it had worked because I did like it, it had some great features. So I took it back and got the 04 model. They just happened to have 1 in stock. I haven't had any problems with it yet, except once when I went to record, it got hung and wouldn't start recording. After unplugging it, it worked fine again and that same disc still recorded. It's been really stable so far though.