1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Guide to Gamecube Backup/Booting

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Icemonkey, Dec 12, 2003.

1. XSF04

XSF04 Member

Well,

You guys some good shit specially you @FartDude.
    What the number of your pusher? I would love to have the same stock.

XSF04

2. dontay

dontay Member

FartDude: I think you have confused yourself abit do you even know what a gamecube is?

Muhmann: Yes today you can play games without the modchip How do you do it - Go to page 1 & read

3. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Yes i know what a F@ckin game cube is, its the most shitty console ever made by nintendo, now u guys read my post, im gonna get the damn info so quit buggin me or im gonna tell ya were to stick it, im sick of PM's and stuff READ! i dont know the methods for backin the shyt up the disc i have was "GIVEN" to me can u guys read that huh???? goddamnit. and PS, I have alot better things too well lets say a life, than sit around and pirate games all day, I also do not support piracy. Now live with that.

4. FartDude

FartDude Guest

I've tried to be nice about this , but people here just wont listen and of course READ

5. infidel80

infidel80 Member

I've got a problem. I have the chip installed. And I've been able to play my backups flawlessly. But something happend. I now get this message when the gamecube boots up. "Fatal Error #02" What is that? I tried reflashing the chip, and I still get the same message. Any Ideas? :-(

EDIT - OK, it works with the top cover off, but when the cover is on, I'm getting the error. What the hell is going on?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  6. dontay

dontay Member

Hey Fartdude - ITS SO FUNNY YOU HATE GAMECUBE but you signup for a gamecube thread ?????????????

Second of all people asking you for advice - thats a laugh

If people believe what you said then there bigger fools, you must understand its impossible to do what your saying - think about it ????????

Where here to help each other not mislead people off the track.

If you can play a burnt game without the modchip or the network adapter - i give u a million dollars. So many people have researched it & its quite sad to see people like Icemonkey who do there best for us & then people like you have to come & stuff up a good thread.

Whats this thread tell you - its still going

NINTENDO LIVE ON FOR EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. dontay

dontay Member

infidel80 - see the person who installed it. Could be faulty chip or the bios was not flashed correctly. What happens when you flip the switch of the modchip - does it play originals or does it have the same error in both modes.

If you have no luck i will find out but will take about a week

8. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Look guys sorry for the ill temper, But seriously i dont know what causes this disc to play or anything about video game backups i am for one not fan of the GC, but i signed up for this thread for the reason im tryin to explain here, now i dont mind helpin out the people here ok i just need a chance too obtain the info then i will pass it on , cool? As for the burned game i was given, it is the zelda classic collection the promotional disc that came with the GC there for a while, But for right now stick with the method here in this guide and as soon i can get this let's say "little trick" i'll send it out , But dont accuse me of spreading false info, cause im simply passing on what was given to me, As for this individual im speakin of here , all can tell ya is that he is pretty experienced with this type of thing and also he is a $microsoft$ technician, aka. beta tester. Just chill out guys i have a 50 hr a week job, but i will get this method im starin too get a little interested in learin how too do this stuff myself,

9. infidel80

infidel80 Member

@dontay, I installed the chip myself. For some reason, when the top cover is on, I get the message, but when I remove the cover, everything is fine and working properly. Even if I slightly put the cover back onto the machine, I get that fatal error message. I tried moving the chip around a little bit, and put the cover back on. So now, I have the cover on, and everything is fine. I have no idea what's causing it to give that error when I was putting the cover on. I didn't even screw it back on and it was giving me that message. Well, if this happens to anybody else, wiggle the chip around slightly, and try putting the cover on again. But just want to let everybody know, that everything works 100%

EDIT - I know now completely what the issue was. It happend again to me, so I started investigating everything. It delt with the eject button. In the far back of the gamecube, there are two thin pieces of plastic, which are the lid sensor. Now, I had the top cover off, and I turned on the gc, with no problems. Now, I held the lid sensor down with my finger, and the message came on! Now, I looked at the piece the connects from the chip to the original gc lid sensor wiring, and noticed that the motherboard for it was slightly making contact with the metal shielding. I decided to take the flexwire for the gc programmer, and set it behind the motherboard for the lid sensor wiring. I turned the gc back on with my fingers still pressed on the lid sensor switch, and it booted fine! I screwed the case back onto the gc, and tried booting it again, it booted fine! So, there's your "Fatal Error #02" It deals with the lid sensor.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  10. mstrchf

mstrchf Member

Just read your posts fartdude.
    I find it hard to believe your explanation of the how this 'microsoft technician' burned a gamecube game. You claim you need a liteon dvd burner with a booktype setting. I have a liteon burner with booktype setting, all the booktype setting does is enable a dvd+r to be burned as dvd-rom disc. This improves readability for consoles and dvd players, i use this setting for use with my xbox which has a fussy thomsom dvd drive and it does make an improvement. However this is only compatible with dvd+r not dvd-r.
    Correct me if im wrong but it is not possible to buy mini dvd+r , the only available media is dvd-r hence the booktype setting will not work.
    Can you tell us what media the game is burned onto or provide a photo of it? Could it be possible that it is an original unpressed factory reject copy from a nintendo manufacturer that your guy has got hold of?
    I'd love to believe you but i just can't, burned gamecube discs playable on an unmodified console is just too good to be true, you are either innocently mistaken or just someone taking the piss like those guys from http://www.xskorpion.com .
    I look forward to reading your further posts on this information, and i hope you can prove me wrong... though i doubt you will

11. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Actually I have a Pioneer DVD-A05 DVD-R burner and it supports the book type setting.

12. mstrchf

mstrchf Member

with dvd-r? mine will only accept it with a dvd+r in the drive, when tried with a dvd-r it doesn't give me the option

13. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Most Pioneer burners including my old single -R format burner support this function.

14. mstrchf

mstrchf Member

hi m8, you are right that you can change it with dvd-r, its not quite the same though, with my liteon there is an application that changes it for you, it's not just a workaround method as with dvd-r, i found this article that explains it quite well http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150
    Interesting to know though, my mums got a new pioneer dvd writer so im goin to do some testing with it at some point.
    What do you think of fartdudes claims icemonkey?
    I reckon it's not possible with out modchip, but i thought that with the dreamcast and that got hacked after a while. I only got a gamecube a week ago so i haven't investigated the scene fully.

15. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

As mstrchf said bitsetting a DVD-R isn't the same as doing it to a DVD+R. With -R the booktype is actually written to the lead-in at the factory so in order to change it you have to have a second session on the disc. The second session has its own lead-in that will have the new booktype, but a player or DVD-ROM drive may still read the original lead-in and not be fooled. In the case of +R the booktype is written when you burn it so it can theoretically fool any player because there won't be anything on the disc that tells the player/drive that it's actually a DVD+R and not a DVD-ROM.

16. dontay

dontay Member

@infidel80 Im very glad you have figured out your problem. The person who done my one has done so many already that if you get another problem or the same problem again & you have no luck just post on here. I be keeping my eye out for your post & then have a chat with them. Good stuff anyway dude.

17. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I think this guy is taking the piss.

18. gtofablus

gtofablus Member

hi. i'm having a problem with the loading of the dol file and the games onto the gamecube. i'm running win xp and i run- command prompt/dos - to get to the dos screen and when i try psul -s for psul or psoload -s for psoload it says that they aren't recognized as an internal or external command. are my commands right? with psoload 2.o i got a dol file to load by dragging it over the exe file but that didn't save any information on the memory slot and now it doesn't load the dol's either way. the properties show that the pc and the gamecube are connected. ip for the gamecube is 192.168.1.32 and the ip on the pc is 192.168.1.100. it worked before but i messed around with the ba speed in the starcube preview edition and then on the nic and now it doesn't work. thanks in advance to anyone that helps. check out http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/gc/psotut.php it got my network started the first time.

19. infidel80

infidel80 Member

About my Fatal Error #2 message. If you do get this, shut down your gamecube. leave the lid open, put in your original, turn on the gamecube with the lid still open, and the menu will appear. once you've installed your backup, you can close the lid, and everything will be fine. For some reason, that Fatal Error #2 will show up from time to time if you have the lid closed, while turning on the gc. Just follow what I mentioned and you'll have no problems.

I also found 2 other, very minor issues.

Right now, I'm running cobra's 4.0 bios. I've noticed with my wireless controller, you can't access rumble features in games, rumble will not work for wireless controllers, as of yet i assume. And, the other thing, after about 2 1/2 straight hours of gameplay, the system losses sync with the disc, and an error message appears, in which you'll have to shut down the gc, and reboot your backup. This has happend on several occasions with my Metroid Prime backup. Of course, there are no other games that I wish to sit around and play for 2 1/2 hours, to see if this does that same thing to them. Also, I highly suggest you get the Memorex 5pack mini dvd-r. I've never had one single problem with those discs.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  20. DanteJay

DanteJay Member

Well I for one believe him. I believe it can be done. Nintendo has not made an pirate proof system. And when this comes all out in the open then you'll see. And on top of that I'm not going to insult someone tring to help either! I've dealt with video games all my life. I've managed my own game store. I've modded over 20 Xboxes for my friends without a modchip. I've pretty much seen it all! There's a flaw with every system, and it's only a matter of time till people exploit it. The only reason the GC hasn't been hacked the way the PS2 and Xbox have been, is because the scene doesn't seem to be interested in the GC. Dreamcast was majorly targeted because it was the first *Next Gen* console. PS2 was targeted because it was the next PlayStation, and the Xbox was majorly targeted because the scene knew they'd have lots of fun with the harddrive! The GC was nothing special. It's in the last place for this console war. Hence why it's only now really starting to get pried at. That plus the fact that Nintendo did their best at proventing piracy, so they never really paid much attention to the GC. But now that the modchip is out all that's going to chance.
    ~Dante