1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is lightscribe worth it?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by qwik3r2, Oct 8, 2005.

1. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

I want to create professional looking backups for my dvds, i recently bought matte labels but they look like crap i am going to try photo labels next but was wondering about lightscribe. I read about it and it looks good but is it worth me swapping to a new drive, any issues with it, quality etc? Would i be able to take a JPG and convert it to lightscribe? This is the drive i am interested in buying: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827140010

Also what about the media is it as good as say verbatim's or data life plus or w/e its called etc. Thanks.

i recently purchased this one:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827152047

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I, like you also checked out LightScribe. I didnt like what i learned..takes forever to print a label onto disc and tempromental..finger prints etc. In the end I purchased a Canon Pixma 4000 printer which prints directley onto InkJet printable discs, it does a really professional job and you CANNOT tell they are not the Original. Takes less than 30seconds to print. I live in Aus so I dont know if they are available in your Country but I know Epson also make one as well. Definately go this way...you will NOT be sorry

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Copied from another forum ~

Question: ScubaPete, what's the best way to label and store my DVD's so that they don't become mixed up ?

My Answer, in the usual wordy and windy "ScubaPete" tradition ):D)

Golden Rule Number # 1. Avoid fingerprints, smudges, oils or solvents on the top OR bottom of your DVD/CD discs as these skin oils, etc. can, and do break down your discs making them unplayable in short order.
    Always keep your discs clean.

Here then, In order of best to worst, is my list of methods to label your DVD/CD's:

1. The hands-down, best way to label your DVD discs is to use Verbatim's LightScribe discs with a compatible LightScribe burner.
    "How does this work ScubaPete ?"
    Verbatim's LightScribe media is one of their top-of-the-line 8X, +R media on a special disc that, allow you burn your VIDEO_TS folder or ISO Image onto, just as you would any quality media BUT, when you are finished backing up your DVD, all you need do is to "Flip" the disc over, place it back into your burner and "burn" your label, text and graphics, with silkscreen quality directly onto the disc. There are no inks, solvents, adhesives, vinyl, foil or paper labels involved. It is, without a doubt, the finest system available.

It is so nice that I've included a picture so you can checkout the quality.
    [​IMG]

2. Using a water-based marker to write directly upon the unburned side of the disc would be the second best manner to label one's discs. Just allow the marker a couple of minutes to air-dry before placing the disc into its jewel case.

3. Using a specialty, Disc printer, which uses regular printing inks and allows you to print your label directly on a "printable" disc media, comes in as next best. HOWEVER, you must allow for ample dying of the inks prior to packaging your disc. A drying time of 30 to 40 minutes is recommended as the solvent "leaches out" over a period of a few hours. Trapped solvent fumes can attack the disc and the dye application destroying the disc and rendering it unplayable far before it's time.

4. A solvent-based, magic-marker now follows in our list. The solvent used in these magic-markers is the same type of solvent found in many paints and lacquers and requires a longer drying time, from 1 to 1 ½ hours. Overnight drying is best then no fumes can become trapped in the jewel case thereby attacking the disc's finish.

5. Paper vinyl or foil adhesive labels are next. You MUST use an application tool to be sure of a balanced application.) As with the above "Disc Printing" app., a couple of hours of drying time for the printing inks is required. The adhesive used to hold the label on the disc requires more time so, when the adhesive has dried, so has the ink and the discs are ready for their cases. I allow my discs to set overnight and have never had an issue with them.

A hand applied label as the same type above rates as the very worst. Not at all recommended ! A hand-applied label will be unbalanced, bank on it. Depending upon how unbalanced the disc is, it may make the disc unplayable AND / OR, it could even hurt the DVD drive. Due to the extreme hi-spinning of an unbalanced disc, it can easily put a strain on the drive itself. :(

Some ScubaPete thoughts ~

1. The absolute best way to label your DVD's to use Verbatim's LightScribe discs with a compatible LightScribe writer, no question !
    Draw-backs: It does require a LightScribe compatible burner (special purchase ?) AND the discs are costly, about $1.33ea (USD).

2. Using a water-based marking pen is economical AND there are no solvent fumes to attack the disc and break it down.
    Drawbacks: NONE ! Unless you count the fact that my writing is, to put it nicely, horrific. Hence, the discs I've done lQQk so bad, I felt the necessity to apply a label on them to hide my penmanship. (Now I feel so embarrassed that I wished I hadn't written that :( Lol

3. Using a disc printer with printable discs provides a 100% balanced label. Over the long haul, it is less expensive than paper labels as you don't have adhesive template labels to buy.
    Draw-backs: Compared to LightScribe and the water-based marker, it involves the purchase of a specialty printer ($125 - $150 (USD) and separate ink cartridges AND, requires a drying time before the disc can be put away. Though it's hardly worth mentioning, printable discs do cost a couple of pennies more then a regular discs. Not enough to matter in the scheme of things.

4. Using a solvent-based, magic-marker is economical.
    Draw-back: IF you do not allow it to "air dry," the paint solvent can break down the disc's dye over time and can render the disc unplayable, especially in an environment with increased heat and light. Finally, unless your writing is excellent, the discs lQQk terrible :(

5. Paper, vinyl OR foil labels. I've personally had good luck using paper labels by "Neato" which has an application tool available to insure you a balanced application. I use the tool to apply my labels and have done well over a 3,000 discs in this manner with nary a problem with appearance or playing. (Crossing my fingers and lQQking everywhere for some solid wood to knock upon. :)
    Drawbacks: You must buy labels on an adhesive template that cost approx. $.20 ea(USD) PLUS you still must consider the costs of the inks for your printer. There is a possibility for an unbalanced disc even when using an application tool and a longer drying time is required before you can safety put your discs away. All in all, this is by far the most expensive way to go.

Finally, only a fool would try to apply an adhesive label to a disc free-hand. It would guarantee one an unbalanced disc ~ unbalanced enough to strain your drive at the least ~ unbalanced enough to be unplayable OR to harm your DVD drive at the most.

As I recall, there was something in there about LightScribe (Lol)

To address your issues, Yes, it takes time to burn a label BUT I happen to really like the effect :D)

I found nothing "touchie" about the discs and have brned about 50 to date on my BenQ1625. I also LOVE my BenQ for it's ability to change booktype top a DVD-ROM. Now all of my "Top" DVD's are on LightScribe (EXCEPT those whose labels seem to require color. Not many, but a few don't seem to have the contrast that is needed for a "silkscreen" type of effect. One example would be "Simon Birch".

Bye, all

Pete

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  4. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

Thanks alot of the response, would you happen to have any more dvds that i could look at for examples? Thanks.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

qwik3r2,

The discs labeled with markers lQQk only as good as the handwriting of the person writing them.

Discs printed with a disc printer and those done with adhesive labels appear much the same as the original discs. It is only by close examination that the edge of the labels can be detected, hense additional screenshots would be of no value.

Pete

6. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

that makes little to no sense, good day

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

and you're so very welcome ~

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  8. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

right, a newbie? Please maybe a new person to the site, newbie far from that, i have been part of the "scene" and distro probably before you saw the movie "hackers" and decided to buy a pewter. Can you say ego?

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Silly post, not on topic ~

10. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I'm happy with my Epson R300 and 8X DVD+R Taiyo Yuden Silver Inkjet printable media. Check on picture below and on my sig.
    [​IMG]

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Both printable discs and labels will look exactly like the original discs. Perhaps you have a different original disc BUT, I scanned the original label I had and it came out like ~ the original label (except of course the center ring, the same as yours).

[​IMG]

It seems ridicules placing screenshots of things that look like the original when all one has to do is look at the disc in their hand.

Printable discs and labels can be done so well, you can sea the typing around the edge.

Ohh well, . . . .

12. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

ScubaPete,

Look all i was asking for were some examples, i understand what you mean, how are you supposed to tell the difference from the original disk, well if it prints like crap than yeah there will be a difference, and i was refering to lightscribe examples, which are a big difference from the original, lacking color obviously. I was uxclear of the limitations of lightscribe and its ability to recreate scans etc.

There was no need to go off on a rant, just like you do not appreciate someone disrespecting you for taking your time to answer a post i do not appreciate being called a newbie, because i am far from it. I especially do not need a lecture from an anonymous entity over the internet on the world at large and "respect". I mean come on....tomorrow i will waste my superior's valuable time and patience and perhaps my job? Do you realize what you are typing? And i certinaly did not hold a gun to your head FORCING you to WASTE your free time, you did that on your own and when someone responded to you in a manor displeasing to you and your ego you fired back with your value holding rhetoric, look if you want to preach to someone, or change them, or tell them how to act, than become a cult leader, don't "waste your time here"

It seems just a bit too egotistical to be preaching I appreciate your time, and apologize for making you feel as if i do not have respect for your response.

Good day.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  13. ireland

ireland Active member

ScubaPete TO GET ON SUBJECT...SOME INFO FOR YE..SORRY IF YE KNEW IT.

LightScribe,adds 5 colors,red,orange,yellow,blue and green

LightScribe direct disc labeling launches color-background CDs in Europe
    Posted by Johnny on 02 September 2005 - 16:48 - Source: LightScribe.com

The following text is a complete press release, unmodified by CD Freaks. If you don't want to view these kind of news posting you can disable them in your preferences page once logged in. Please send your press releases to news@cdfreaks.com

New LightScribe licensees also announced at IFA World of Consumer Electronics 2005

Berlin, Germany, September 2, 2005 – LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling announced today at the IFA World of Consumer Electronics tradeshow the development of five new vivid color-background CDs for LightScribe images. With the new LightScribe Media Version 1.2 coating technology, the same precise, silkscreen-quality black text and graphics labels available on gold-background discs can be burned onto the label-side of LightScribe-enabled CDs in stunning, new jewel-toned background colors. LightScribe will exhibit the new color-background CDs at LightScribe's double-decker bus, located in the IFA Summer Garden, Freigelande/2011.

With LightScribe color-background CDs, consumers can add more individuality, creativity and flair to their customized CD labels. The five new CD background colors -- red, orange, yellow, blue and green -- are rich and saturated. The development of LightScribe’s color-background CDs was possible through the new LightScribe Media Version 1.2 coating technology. The color-background CDs will have labeling speeds and enhanced image contrast comparable to those of the current gold-background discs.

LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling is the only disc labeling technology available today that burns silk-screen quality labels directly onto the label side of CDs and DVDs and that enables customers to easily create professional-looking labels without compromising on data space. The original gold-background LightScribe CDs and DVDs are already available through most leading media brands online and in retail stores. LightScribe enabled desktops, notebooks and optical disc drives are also available through a large number of hardware brands.

CDs with the LightScribe Media Version 1.2 coating technology are compatible with existing LightScribe-enabled drives and labeling software after a simple download of an updated driver file. The new color-background CDs are expected to be brought to the European market by brand licensees in early 2006. Five of the initial brands intent on offering LightScribe color-background CDs are HP, Memorex, Mitsubishi, Philips and Verbatim.

According to Pierre van Lamsweerde, Business Line Manager for Peripheral Products at Philips Electronics, N.V., "We are pleased to announce our intention to bring LightScribe color-background disc products to market, expanding Philips’ current portfolio of LightScribe-enabled CDs, DVDs and optical drives."

"Color-background discs provide visual interest and fun, and they make it easier to organize a collection," said Jan Graef, HP marketing manager for Optical Storage - Europe. "We're proud to be among the first to offer LightScribe color-background discs, furthering HP's reputation for innovation and bringing customers another great option from a premium, trusted brand."

In support of the LightScribe color-background CDs launch, CMC Magnetics Corporation, Mitsubishi Kagaku Media, and Moser Baer India will be among the initial media manufacturers to produce the discs.

Faster-speed coating for the original LightScribe gold-background CDs and DVDs is also expected to be brought to market by media brands in early 2006.

LightScribe announces new licensees

LightScribe also announced today that a number of additional companies have licensed its Direct Disc Labeling technology. These new licensees include hardware brands Alienware, Evesham Technology, Medion, Pacific Digital and Packard Bell; media manufacturer Prodisc; software developers SmileOnMyMac and Ulead; and disc duplicator supplier Alera Technologies.

LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling technology is already being incorporated by optical drive and media manufacturers, software developers, media and computer brands, including:

Hardware brands Asustek, BenQ, Freecom Technologies, HP, I/OMagic, LaCie, Lite-On IT, Philips, ProStar Computer and Sager Computer;

Media brands BenQ, HP, Imation, Maxell, Memorex, Mitsubishi, Philips, TDK and Verbatim; Media manufacturers CMC Magnetics, Mitsubishi Kagaku Media and Moser Baer India;

Optical drive manufacturers Hitachi-LG Data Storage, Lite-On IT, Panasonic Communications, Panasonic Shikoku Electronics, Philips-BenQ Data Storage, Pioneer, QSI and Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technology;

Software developers Acoustica, CyberLink, Droppix, InterVideo, MicroVision Development, Nero, NewSoft Technology, NewTech Infosystems, Roxio and Sonic Solutions; and

System integrator Micro-Star International.

“LightScribe continues to expand its embrace within the optical market, licensing additional manufacturers and brands serving the PC marketplace in order to become the market standard," said Kent Henscheid, Marketing Manager for LightScribe. "Consumers are enthusiastic about their LightScribe experience and overall awareness of LightScribe is building rapidly.”

About LightScribe

LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling offers consumers and businesses a simple, no-hassle way to burn professional-looking, silkscreen-quality labels on their CDs and DVDs. LightScribe extends optical media, recorders and software through an integrated system of media with special laser-sensitive coating, laser control and imaging drive modifications, and labeling software enhancements. LightScribe uses the same laser that burns data in the disc drive to create precise, iridescent labels. LightScribe technology was developed and patented by HP. A business unit of HP, LightScribe licenses its technology to optical industry leaders in drive and media manufacturing and to hardware, media and software brands. Additional information about LightScribe is available at www.lightscribe.com.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12346

14. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

cool thanks for the response and great info.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ireland,

Thanks much, - knew it was coming sometime. Small hints in magazines on this side of the pond but never a timeline. You know how it is with Hint’s. Sometimes it's just to "test" the market. Glad to sea they’re getting of their duff.

Huuumm, now I'm wondering if they'll take this stack of 1st generation LightScribe discs

Today's cost per, for the first generation LightScribe discs is about, $1.33 (USD) OR 1.034 (EUR), One can only pray that the color discs will be closer to that than to a DL discs.

Then again, if one were to extrapolate, . . . . How long before we have a DL with color LightScribe ? Time does in fact move on, . . . and my thinking isn't that farfetched.

It was my thinking, when I purchased this, my 2nd DL burner, just so I could do LightScribe's, will they replace printers ? ~ I'll just have to live long enough to sea, Wot ?

(Naaaah, it's just that important to worry about ~ :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  16. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

Well now that the fight is over we can get back on the subject lol.

I went ahead an purchased a tray for my canon IP5000 and some printable CD and i am pleased with the results, they are not super vibrant, although this printer prints unbelievable quality pics better than photolab, maybe its because i'm running low on black ink, or i missed a setting hehe. Either way i'll keep my eye on lightscribe, hope that they can speed up how long it takes to make a complicated burn on the cd, because to print on a cd takes about 25 seconds.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

qwik3r2,

If you're lQQking for speed, stay with your printer.

Just as you can't expect to burn a CD in 25 seconds, you'll never, ever burn a LightScribe label in anything close to that.

Remember, it's not "spray" nozzle, it's a laser beam. Assuming you wish to have a full disc (I like that the best) many pple just burn the DVD's name on the disc that takes a shorter time. As I was saying, assuming you wanted a full label, it would take the same amount of time as it would take to burn a full video to the dye-side.

To imagine anything else just isn’t realistic,

Cheers,

18. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

As I posted in the early stages of this debate I went off LightScribe and purchased a Canon Pixma printer for around $190 Aus..I download images from Google or other sites, make my own adjustments if needed and Print....printing takes LESS than 30 seconds and ink is DRY on ejection from tray. Cannot tell the difference from the original.

19. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

gwendolin, I have a Canon Pixma 6000 printer do you think it would work on Lightscribe discs? What media do you use, are they very expensive?
    Thank

20. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@tashacat, I dont know about the 6000,can you print directly onto discs with it? all I use are Ink Jet printable(which are white) discs no particular brand and all I pay is around 50c Aus

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005