1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck on an extremely weird issue

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by ddzc, Oct 10, 2005.

1. ddzc

ddzc Member

I have something that will shock a lot on here and im totally lost on it.

I modded a friends xbox with the duox2 cromwell.

Works fine, it's running avalaunch with all the emu's, apps, etc. Plays MOST games without any issues, except one.

This xbox doesen't play Mortal Kombat at all!. This is his favourite game so he's getting a bit pissed at me. I backed up Mortal Kombat Deception for him, doesen't boot at all, just goes to the ava screen. I updated his bios to the latest 4981, no luck. He also has evox at the time and I updated it to ava (which I like better anyway) no luck.
    I tried the disk on my personal xbox, it boots without any hesitation (running a different chip though, im running x3)
    He has a thomson in his xbox.

So I ripped apart my xbox and his, swapped my samsung to his xbox and tried again, NO LUCK!! still didn't boot.
    I had a brand spanking new thomson drive sitting around, I tried that drive and it still doesen't boot up

The xbox plays everything else, I tried NFS2, American Chopper, etc etc u name it, like 10 other games they all play.

I reburned the disk on ridata ritek dvd-r which is what the other disks are as well which run fine on his xbox, burned it at 1X. Still the same issue. Works on my xbox ok

So I said the hell of it and I had an older MK lying around (MK Deadly Alliance) So I backed up this game for him and tried it on his machine, IT DOESEN'T WORK.

I then backed up another MK from another friend to test on his machine (MK Sahaolin Monks,) IT doesen't freakin work!

All 3 Mortal Kombat games don't work on his machine, all 3 of them work on my machine without any issues

Anyone have any ideas whatsoever?

I only have one more thing on mind, ripping out the duox2 and dropping in another duox2 to see if this solves the issue.

Thanks

2. xboxdevil

xboxdevil Guest

put an x3 chip in his xbox then it might work.

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

This might not work but you can try it. I have had the issue of my games not loading and going back to my dash before. I searched and was told to clean out the CACHE folder (mine was in E partition) and then try it. I did that and it worked perfect after words. But it seems like this is an odd issue.

I know that when I played backup games on my Xbox the games worked. Then one day I tried playing a new backuped game and it started doing it restarting to my dashboard. All of the new backup games I tried did this, but yet the games I played before this problem started happing still played on the Xbox.

Anyway thought you could try and see if it worked. If not hope you find the problem.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  4. phil31169

phil31169 Regular member

good detail on your problem, i would try dif media before i tear into all that...and try +r...i have a thompson drive and ONLY use +r media NO maxell or memorex!! 400+ backups and still going. all mk's work.
    as far as i know you have to use the same kind of drive to replace a drive so that may explain the thompson/samsung thing...did anything work after you did that switch? kinda curious

5. fknhstile

fknhstile Member

Step 1: Concentrate really hard
    Step 2: Grip hand really tight
    Step 3:Hit offending machinery multiple times while cursing in spanish
    Step 4: Blame it on violence in video games or your parents
    Step 5: Insert backup and try again

Xbox backup's......the coaster maker :)

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

Since the games worked on another machine (though setup differently) I can almost rule out the media issue. I would say go ahead and clear the cache...since even if it doesn't solve the problem,it won't create any either. Did you mod the bios at all....like with any tweeks in the startup? I know that sometimes when you play with the 'flubber' intro it can get a little wonky. Other than that the x2 4981 bios is pretty damn stable. If your friend has a larger hard drive,try to boot it from the hard drive.....if it runs then this will mean that it IS a patch that is needed. Although I've never used a patch yet and I'm still running a flashed TSOP with an old as hell 4976 bios. Which would kinda rule out the bios for sure then.

One more thing,if you could tell us what methods you used to back up the game it could help us out as to what problems you would encounter. Until then,this is kinda odd to say the least.

7. phil31169

phil31169 Regular member

i stand by what i said. just because a samsung drive in your xbox reads the disk doesnt mean it will read in your friends...the thomson drive is the worst of the bunch. try +r media. hasnt failed me yet with mine. and you know what my bios read as? unknown...lol. yep, bios unknown (in evox) and never had a failer. try the +r

8. punqewe

punqewe Active member

In response,I'm just trying to solve the problem by first...finding a 'control'. In this case the control is the media itself....because that hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed are the machines. So if you were to think in that sense,the problem lays within the differences between the machines itself.

If it wasn't the media,which I would almost swear that it wasn't I'd have to say try the parental settings in the M$ dashboard. It must be set too low for the type of game.

I'd put a dollar on it.

/end of line