1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting DRM-Protected .m4v files to .avi

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ivymike, Oct 22, 2005.

1. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

Hello,
    I just downloaded some music videos from iTunes and to my dismay, they're in the DRM-Protected .m4v format. How do I go about ripping these videos to .avi? What programs are available and how do I use them?

Thanks in Advance.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

m4v is just apples incorrectly used extension for mp4. Now assuming you can remove the drm you can convert the same as any other mp4. How to remove the drm though, since it is supposed to be the same as the audio, I guess the audio de-DRM tools should be updated to work.

Seriously though you can't have expected iTunes stuff to be DRM free?

3. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

I didn't expect it to be in .m4v format. I think I have a plan though. There are mp4 devices that can play video files into your TV and I have a video capture card. Only problem is the price. If I can find an affordable one I'll give this a try. Other than that, I contacted the maker of DeDRMs with an idea to add video decoding to his program. Haven't heard from him yet.

Thanks for responding though.

4. tahoerob

tahoerob Member

Any update on converting iTunes m4v to a burnable format????

5. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

Unfortunately, the HDD player idea didn't work. I still haven't heard back from the maker of DeDRMs yet. I guess the lesson here is this: DON'T BUY VIDEOS FROM iTUNES!

6. tahoerob

tahoerob Member

I read in another forum (after Google search for problem) that try importing the m4v file as an mp3. iTunes is supposed to covert as apart of importing. Then will it play???? I will try tonight when I get home.

Also, I found this program:
    http://www.i'manidiot.com edited by ddp

It states m4v as a file it supports. It is from a Chinese programmer. Again, I have to wait later to try it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  7. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

m4v is supposed to be (according to MPEG-4 specs) the extension for a raw MPEG-4 Part 2 video stream. Even if they are refering to apple mp4 files, they would most likely mean non DRM'ed ones.

8. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

I tried the ImTOO MPEG Encoder and it won't work with DRM-Protected m4v files. I also tried to import the m4v files with iTunes as mp3's and that didn't work also. I read on Apple's website that you can play back the videos you purchase with iTunes (read DRM protected m4v files) on your TV with an iPod and an S-Video cable. This probably only works with the iPods that have video playback. Unfortunately, the price for one of those puppies means I'll have to be saving my pennies. Hopefully, I'll either be able to find an iPod with video playback that is priced cheaply (preferably used) or someone will invent a software program that will remove the DRM from iTunes purchased m4v video files.

9. tahoerob

tahoerob Member

Thanks for info.
    I even broke down & bought a registration to change Apple Quicktime to Quicktime Pro.
    You can interchange formats EXCEPT the protected ones; ie. paid downloads from iTunes!!!!
    It was worth a try!
    If anyone has the huevos to crack the protection, it might be those Chinese guys who wrote ImToo MPEG encoder!!

I guess I am stuck watch on the PC.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  10. adloya

adloya Member

I am was eperiencing the same problems, I guess i will not buy videos from iTunes. Where else can you buy videos? anyone knows?

11. samba09

samba09 Member

hi all,

good news: tunebite now can convert itunes videos m4v to mp4 and m4v to wmv.

best regards, samba

12. whyandy

whyandy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  13. Natlance

Natlance Member

It works for small m4v files like music videos. But not for long videos. Is there something that could work with a movie file?

14. XweAponX

XweAponX Member

Well, I obtained a copy of that. The file extention of a Itunes video is M4V I think... You can force open the m4v file with ImToo Mp4 to Mpeg converter, but it only shows you the paramaters of the file, it will not play the file or convert it.

But there are some settings for a "PSP" - When you click on it, it says the device is not attached, what is a PSP a piece of hardware?

I agree with what I have sen in these forums day after day: DO NOT buy DRMMed content! Buy MP3's! I don't know what format there is to buy videos, I wold say, just rent the videos you want and use DVD Shrink/DVD Decrypter/DVD Region + CSS Free to copy them.

I know a poor girl who has about 4 thousand itunes songs: I explained to her when her windows XP gets too corrupt to run, she will not be able to play the files, unless she backs up the licences, now I think Windows Media Content can have the licences backed up, but I am pretty sure you cannot save the licences for Itunes.

So, for music, there is always Emusic.com and MP3's - At least when you buy MP3's, you own them and you can do whatever you want with them. Also, MP3's are the only real MP3s and you can even buy a car stereo that plays mp3's.

But I have not seen a good solution for online videos, not yet. WMV files suck, cos they look like you are watchihng an old TV set, and the Itunes stuff certainly looks good, but if you can't move it from one format to another, then it is worthless:

Try using your ATI video card to feed it diretly into another computer that has video and audio capture: I do this all the time, on this machine I have an ATI 9250 Radeon with an S-Video Out, and I got a line in over on the machine with the All In Wonder in it: I can save it AS Mpeg, High quality, then I just author a DVD with Sony DVD arthitect.

I have lots of cool music videos that I have made this way, even copying them from VHS to DVD like that.

I am even more convinced now there is no software solution for Itunes video content: Unless there is something that can bust through that damned DRM

15. goodguy2k

goodguy2k Member

I experienced this same problem with protected WMV files on a PC (I use itunes on a mac).

The only solution for getting around the DRM was this:

I used a PC laptop with an RCA video out (svideo would probably be better) running into $75 dollar DVD recorder (from Costco). Also, ran the headphone out of the PC to R & L RCA cables and into the DVD recorder. Pain in the ass I know (and quality not too bad).

I ran the Windows Media Player in Fullscreen mode, started the playback on the Win Media Player and hit record on the DVD recorder.

Viola DVD copies of protected content - granted these were instructional videos so there wasnt a need for "super quality" but it worked very well. I'm sure the same applies for MAc systems as well (assuming you have an video out port).

16. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

Tunebite seems the only way to remove DRM from these files albeit it does have it's drawbacks. You'll need a good processor and a good GPU if you're gonna use tunebite. Another program one could use is SnagIt. If you're gonna use snagit, you'll need to know how to use the program if you're gonna get a good quality rip.

17. msaulik

msaulik Member

I have a USB video card from ADS Tech and a video iPod. I've been able to send the signal out from the iPod into the composite jacks of the video card and record music videos that way. It actually works pretty well.

18. Molder

Molder Regular member

All I do for iTunes downloaded music that is protected, is to burn it to a disc using iTunes, I havnot tryied it with video but if it is small enough to fit on a CD try it, if not try to burn to DVD from iTunes.

I know it sounds far fetched but true you burn the music to the CD and then you can do what you like with it.

Also I have use tunebite that is not bad.
    M

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  19. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

I looked at buying a video iPod and capturing the video to an ATI video capture card but with a video iPod costing $300.00-$400.00 a unit, i'd be better off using a program like Tunebite or SnagIt. You're lucky and fortunate if you have one. Most people can't afford or don't want to afford an iPod especially with such a high price. Even USED video iPods go for $200.00+.

20. leonpuro

leonpuro Member

I must tell you something, man: I don't know if you have a Mac or a PC. If you have the latter, I suggest you to do this: I had the same problem that you have with you DRM-protected M4V videos, for I've downloaded some video-podcast. I realized, however, something: These *.m4v files appear with, if applies to you, the WMP (Windows Media Player) logo; I mean, I realized that, probably, these files can be opened with WMP. So I tried, and they opened! But the great thing isn't whether they open or they don't. The big deal was that I realized that the option "File/Save as…" was available. With this option, you can, as I did, rename your videos and make them *.mp4 files. You can give them the externsion you want (*.avi, *.mpg, etc.).

After this, you can do what you want with them: If you have a burning software that recognizes *.mp4 files, you can put them in CD or DVD (I highly recommend Nero 7 as DVD burner, for it supports many types of files, such as *.avi, *.mpg, *.dat, *.mp4 and other). But if you want to convert them to another format, I

So, this is a free way to use your DRM-protected M4V files. Only you need a CPU with WMP.