1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with 'Album Art' not appearing

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Mono67, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Mono67

Mono67 Member

Hey,
    I have a Nano, my first iPod. One thing that attracted me to it was the feature with the album art. As a song plays, the album cover art is shown in full colour display. I assumed that since iTunes has CDDB Gracenote, it would provide this album art when importing my CD collection in. This was not the case. In fact, the only tracks that included the album art were the ones that I bought at iTunes.
    This was irritating. I already had scanned all my album covers anyway. So, having already imported my audio CD's in, I just selected the full album, right clicked, and then selected "Get Info" - I pushed yes to editing multiple entries, and clicked on 'Artwork'. I would then import the appropriate album covers. This worked well for some time.
    Just recently, I found it no longer works. I can't understand why. On the iTunes page, the album art shows in the lower left window. It shows when I check each individual song info. It does not, however, appear on my iPod nano at all. WHY?
    Anyone?

2. labertoss

labertoss Member

Hi, I have the same situation, but believe I might have a solution. Do you Eject your Ipod from Itunes when you finish adding music or do you just close them out? I found that if you eject (with the eject ipod button) the album artwork stays there, but don't know how long for I need to keep track. Try it and let me know if it works.

3. Mono67

Mono67 Member

Hi,
    Thanks for your message. You might have explained what may have went wrong. I had never used the manual eject. I tried it. That is - I cleared my entire iPod, imported the tracks again, and then manually ejected as you mentioned. Unfortunately, no change. Still no Album Art.
    I wonder, how did you get your Album Art to begin with? When you buy tracks at iTunes, the Album Art is included. When importing my CDs, there was no recognition - via, presumably, CDDB Gracenote - of the appropriate Album Art. As I mentioned before, I had backup scans. As well, I found scans online for the ones I was missing. This manual entry worked for me, but I wonder if others know something I don't.
    I guess as iPod customers, we're entitled to 1 call with Apple. The warranty is only one year. Apple does not get into specifics regarding Album Art, at least anywhere I can find. I'm going to spend my phone call. I want to find out more about the iPod's Album Art function, and more importantly, why my Album Art is corrupted.
    If all else fails, I will personally return my Nano to the Apple Store. If they refuse, I will contact my credit card company.
    I will respond after I have my phone call with Apple.

4. Berge

Berge Member

Mono,

I'm having the same problem you are currently having. I tried all sorts of things and have even selected to show album artwork. It would seem to me that this is some sort of bug. I too can download the album cover and then drop it into iTunes, but it makes for very tedious work. I'll keep you posted as I tinker.

I've only used iTunes for 2 days and I just got my iPod (video) today! I'm excited!

Just curious, are you at least able to see album artwork when you manually drop it into the iTunes and then re-sync with the iPod?

5. Mono67

Mono67 Member

Hey Berge,
    I think you're right, it must be a bug.
    You hit another interesting point about the album art. NO, iTunes does NOT recognize album art. I had to manually attach a scan with each album. Tedious, yes. Given the track listing is there, I can see no reason why this album art thing isn't automatic. My guess is that they're trying to push their iTunes music store.
    I did up quite a few albums with album art. I had downloaded several to the iPod. Everything was fine, then everything wasn't. I lost all album art in my iPod. It shows in iTunes, but not on the iPod. I've cleared my whole iPod and refilled it, with no help. I haven't many ideas left.

6. Berge

Berge Member

Hmm.. I noticed this weekend that if you "get info" on the track you're working on. Sometimes I had loaded two or three album artworks covers. Perhaps if you delete some then you'll get the artwork back? Who knows!

7. vineys

vineys Member

I have a problem with my 60 GB photo iPod which may have a similar origin. On sync through iTunes, the album art is jumbled up. The iTunes on my PC shows the correct album art associated with the track, but on the iPod some, but not all, album art is all mixed up. I have tried clearing the iPod and re-synchronising, but the associated album art apparently changes randomly. Anyone else face this problem? Any solutions? Incidentally I have rechecked as Berge suggested, and have only one album art with each track.

8. Mono67

Mono67 Member

It occurred to me that I'm an idiot. I haven't figured this Album Art issue out yet, but I discovered I'd neglected to include an important piece of the puzzle. On or about the time these Album Art issues surfaced, I started getting error messages. They were all the same, stating:

iTunes.exe - Corrupt File

The file or directory /iPod_Control/Artwork/Temp File is corrupt and unreadable

Please run the Chkdsk utility

It took me a while to figure out what Chkdsk is. I found it, and ran it on the iPod. Nothing changed. It was suggested that I replace the iTunes exe file, but I don't know if that'll do any good. I think the problem is that the Control/Artwork/Temp File is corrupt. I wish I knew how to fix it.

9. Wjason777

Wjason777 Regular member

if you downloaded the cd from a torrent site and it came with artwork, all you have to do is drag it to itnues and drop it, where is says drop album artwork here.

10. Mono67

Mono67 Member

Problem solved.
    If anyone has a similar problem, try restoring your iPod. To do this, go to the latest update you've downloaded (in this case, 10-12-05), and select restore. It sets everything back to factory settings.
    I knew there was something wrong with the artwork file in my iPod itself. I cleared all the songs from it, but it showed that 657.2 MB was used - and there was nothing on it! So, I restored, then sent my entire library to the iPod.
    Now, the album art shows just like it did before everything went screwy. I think I wasn't using the manual eject, and perhaps it jumbled up the iPod somehow.
    Thanks to all for suggestions.