1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UT2k3 playing burnt copy

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Steefoo, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Steefoo

Steefoo Member

I used Alcohol 120% and i was able to make a image and burn it on a cd...But when i try to play it...it just loads...then stop. I hear my cd-rom running when it loads but then after like 1 minute it stops. Also the title of the burnt copy is "Need Emulation". Wat does this mean?
    For the cdmage, it doesn't scan Alcohol 120% image files. The image files from alcohol 120% r mds. HELP!!!!

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You find the answer by selecting in Alcohol options, 'Emulation'. All is written there.

Basically, you need to switch on the Alcohol's option "RMPS emulation". (RPMS = recorder media physical signature)

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

If it's Unreal Tournament 2003, you need to use BlindWrite Suite 4.25 and create or download a bwa file for the first disc. Your rom can't bypass the twin sectors of the SecuROM 4.8.x cd scheme on the first disc. I've backed up this game successfully but it took me 2 attempts.

BlindWrite 4.25: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=61418

Also download Virus2k (Litey)or FutureProofs (Asus)bwa file and read the tutorial on how to safely backup UT 2003. Discs 2&3 are not SecuROM 4.8.x cd protected. I hope this helps.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2003
  4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Well, SecuROM should be bypassed also by CloneCD and Alcohol 120% (but you need an image with .SUB information, CloneCD and BlindWrite, for instance. .BIN/.CUE is not enough) and a burner capable to write P-Q subchannel data (RAW SAO 16 or RAW DAO).

Shoey, with 'twin sectors' are you meaning that SecuROM 4.8.x has added an extra protection feature?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2003
  5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

1) CloneCD can produce working backups of SecuROM 4.8.x ONLY if you use the TwinPeak tool
    2) Alcohol120& CAN'T produce working backups of SecuROM 4.8.x although you can play your backup with Alcohol running in system tray and the option ticked "RMPS". Basically if you use Alcohol to burn SecuROM 4.8.x, then you need this software to play your backup(s)
    3) BlindWrite 4.25 CAN produce working backups of SecuROM 4.8.x and NO need for any additional software or emulation to play your backups.

Best burnin' prog to backup SecuROM 4.8.x is BlindWrite 4.25
    Best reliable program to backup Safedisc 2.8.x is Alcohol 120% but there are other programs that can safely backup this protection (BurnAtOnce, BlindWrite, Disc Dump& FireBurner) just to name a few. "Twin Sectors" is part of the SecuROM cd protection scheme, and if I were to explain this in pc guru tech, I would be throwing you out in left field, lol.
    After you successfully achieved this, this is what is called the "play" disc. Now you need to REMOVE the bwa file and and burn again with the same write settings. After you you have done this, this is what is considered the "install" disc. Disc 2& 3 have NO SecuROm protection so you can use any cd burning software and read/write at 8x. I used CloneCD 4.2.0.2 for discs 2& 3 with read options "fast error skip" and write "always close last session".

Shoey

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2003
  6. Steefoo

Steefoo Member

Where can I dl the virsu2k or futureproofs files? Shoey can u give me a link to it? Thxs...u have been very helpful

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Download BlindWrite Suite 4.25 (best for SecuROM 4.8.x). Now follow this guide and copy& paste to word& save to your hard drive or floppy. Link to download bwa files (ViRuS2k& FutureProofs).

How to backup Unreal Tournament 2003
    -------------------------------------
    Read Portion: Extract the contents of the cd into an image. (orange arrow from cdrom to disk). When blindread begins follow and apply the following check marks.

1. make make sure you click on general settings, test cd layer access, and that the vso driver is used. if prompted to restart do so, if not go back to main menu.

1.5 next select dump image from cdrom.

2. select your writer from the drop down list

3. check the box with extract subcodes only!!!

4. leave the default location for the image file which would be in the vso/blindread directory. IMPORTANT!!! also leave the default name of the disc as the image name ex: UT2003_CD1.

5. make sure #1 NIBBLE is selected ***

6. check the box with adapt speed.

7. i wrote and read at 4x, thats the speed i recommend.

8. check the box with eject disk if you wish

at this point, it will begin to make the image. errors will occur at the end of the process, around 15 seconds remaining, dont be alarmed, its ok.

NEXT STEP IS TO MAKE A .BWA FILE

1. start bwabuilder application. (cannot be lauched thru the desktop icon, but rather by clicking start/all programs/blindwrite suite/physical cd characteristic dumper).

2. make sure the drive with the disk is selected, set for 4x, and the default 324800.

3. click start mesure, when complete if not given the option to save, click on file and save bwa.

4. !!!URGENT!!! when the process is complete, you will be given the opportunity to save the file, BE SURE TO NAME It THE SAME AS THE IMAGE ex: UT2003_CD1 and no extension because the application will give it the .bwa. ALSO IMPORTANT, the file has to be saved in the same directory where you save the image.

WRITE PROCESS, YOUR ALMOST DONE!!!

1. lauch blindwrite, turquios colored arrow pointing from HD to cdrom

2. click start cd writing wizard

3. be sure you writer is selected, on the information tab, blindwrite will give you information about you drive (max read speed, max write speed, etc) the application will not allow you alter any information under that tab.

4. click on advance. !!!URGENT!!! uncheck all the boxes except DAO pw-it should be the only one with a check mark next to it.

5. i am not sure if your drives characteristics matched mine. the max read, write, and suggested speed were at 48, the buffer size was set at 2048, with rewrite at 10. i would suggest going along with the default settings that blindwrite suggests!!!

6. locate the image. and click start, it will verify the image, simply click next when finish.

7. last step, make sure DAO pw mode is selected, at 4x, and that the box next to USE BWA FILE IF AVAILABLE IS CHECKED!!!!!!!!!! along with the other two boxes. CLICK GO. YOUR DONE.

Also, it is recommended that you run your copy from a cdrom or cdreader-not on writers. Dont ask me why, i read that on the net and for some reason, it's true. I tried running it on my writer and it would not start up, just spin. You might try to use insektor v3 from gameworld.
    You DON'T need to create a bwa file, simply tuck the bwa file where you saved the image of disc 1 (image should be saved in the vob folder as recommended by this guide.
    BWA file downloads; http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58185

Guide and bwa files courtesy CD-Freaks

Shoey

8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

OK man. I updated the 'Backup protected CD' main thread by also adding a link to this thread. This topic should be clear now.

Just two questions, maybe you can answer them, too:

- are all BW suite versions above 4.25 good or you need 4.25?
    - can you backup SecuROM 4.8x with Alcohol 1.4.0 datatype 'SecuROM new (v 4.x)'?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2003
  9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

aldaco12,
    Great to hear that m8. BlindWrite conquers SecuROM 4.8.x, NOT Alcohol 120% (hehe)

Just two questions, maybe you can answer them, too:

- are all BW suite versions above 4.25 good or you need 4.25?
    Answer: BlindWrite 4.25 is the most recommended version and i don't know if the latest version can successfilly backup UT 2003 as I've yet to test. I'll test later and post my results.
    - can you backup SecuROM 4.8x with Alcohol 1.4.0 datatype 'SecuROM new (v 4.x)'?
    To the best of my knowledge, making backups of SecuROM 4.8.x with Alcohol 120%= software "reliable, or dependent". In other words, you have to install Alcohol 120% to play your backups. Notice the profile for SecuROM 4.8.x when using Alcohol 120%. I don't need any "additional measures" to play my backups of UT 2003 using BlindWrite.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2003
  10. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Fine, then, and thanks. I'm sure that many people in the forum will appreciate this new knowledge.

11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I recently tested the latest BlindWrite 4.3.01 release baking up UT 2003. The Polaroid BurnMAX48 produced working backups, however, many threads I've read at CD-Freaks report failures. My advice for those attempting to backup SecuROM 4.8.x or higher, use the BlindWrite 4.25 version. Here are my event logs for UT2003 (disc 1) for both versions.
    ----------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)
    Patin-couffin version 10 in use
    Blindwrite Version 4.3.0.44
    ***----- CD DEVICE INFO START OF REPORT -----***
    CAUTION : Using unknown CD writer.
    Unit String : "POLAROID BURNMAX48 "
    ***----- CD DEVICE INFO END OF REPORT -----***
    Unit 2:0:0 - Polaroid BurnMAX48 482E [E] (Ide)
    Speed Max
    VolumeId : "UT2003_CD1"
    Hash : FC57FC9AC4DFA3120C94155ECFF7D52FFAC96EAA
    HD image "UT2003_CD1.BWT"
    Writing mode : DAO PW
    Autoplay(tm) : Physical media informations embedded
    Sectors read : 325743
    Sectors built: 0
    CD is complete
    -----------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build 2600)
    Patin-couffin version 10 in use
    Blindwrite Version 4.2.5.35
    ***----- CD DEVICE INFO START OF REPORT -----***
    CAUTION : Using unknown CD writer.
    Unit String : "CDWRITER IDE4816 "
    ***----- CD DEVICE INFO END OF REPORT -----***
    Unit 1:0:0 - CDWRITER IDE4816 482S [E] (Ide)
    Speed x8
    VolumeId : "UT2003_CD1"
    Hash : FC57FC9AC4DFA3120C94155ECFF7D52FFAC96EAA
    HD image "UT2003_CD1.BWT"
    Writing mode : DAO PW
    Physical CD descriptor (BWA) file found.
    729 dual sectors will be added to recreate lower sector densities
    Sectors read : 326472
    Sectors built: 0
    CD is complete
    ----------------------------------------------
    Notice on BlindWrite 4.25 event log, the "Physical CD describer (BWA) file found, compared to the BlindWrite 4.3 version.

Shoey

12. mayhemJ30

mayhemJ30 Member

I got the backup to complete and the disc looks good. Problem I have is identical to the first post here except the copy title is correct and I used Blindwrite (like recommended) instead of Alcohol 120%. I tried both my DVD-rom and cd-rw. The start menu loads but when PLAY is clicked it begins to load then quits.
    I did notice one thing when backing up disc 1. Selecting "SAO" was my only option when writing. I selected DAO-pw the few steps before as recommended, but on the last step SAO was the only choice. I think this is the problem but I can't figure out where I must have went wrong.

UPDATE: Trying a 2nd yielded success. This is what was different. When enabling 'extract subs' I was given the message "Able to read subs" vs. the 1st time message of "Can not read subs". Don't know what changed but this worked. I also clicked the "Save changes" button (duh) after selecting "DAO-PW" this time. It's not specifically in the directions so I overlooked it. LIke the first time I didn't get the errors at the last 15 seconds of the extract but it worked. And finally before burning I was able to select "DAO" instead of "SAO" like the first time. The burn took longer with DAO and my cache was at 0% by the time the CD was 20% done. I thought that was odd since the first time it was pinned at 99%. Regardless it worked.

Now for me to freshen up on backing up dvds. It's been about 2 years since I messed with any of that. This forum rocks!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2003
  13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

If your reader or writer can't read sub-q channel data, then your backups won't work. Did you create an "play disc" (bwa file& image) and an "install disc" (no bwa file, just image)? You can download ViRuS2k or FutureProofs bwas files at CD-Freaks if you created on yourseld and it failed. When you're finished backing up UT 2003, you should have 4 discs.

Shoey

14. mayhemJ30

mayhemJ30 Member

4 discs eh? No I didn't. Thanks for telling me that. I'll delete the *.bwa and burn another copy. If my 1st original disc ever gets screwed up I would have been SOL. What's the difference between having the *.bwa and not? I'm sure it has something to do with the SEcurrom, but it's just not adding up in my head.

Oh yeah guys, as a test I tried to see if Disc 2 and 3 would burn on EZCD5. Both locked up around 80-90%. It worked fine with Nero though. Could just be EZCD5 being a PITA like usual but that was my results. I'm sticking with Nero from here on out.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  15. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Shoey, correct me if I'm wrong. In general you need to burn two versions of CD1 of UT2k3
    - install CD (image only)
    - verification/play CD (image+BWA)
    only if your CD-unit cannot read 'twinpeaks CD' (image+BWA) well. Otherwise you might install the game with the play CD as well.

I assume the trick is to use the perfectly readable 'unperfect backup' Install CD to install the game and the barely readable 'perfect backup' Play CD to cheat SecuROM 4.8x checks that occur during playing.

Therefore we also could assume that there is no SecuROM 4.8x check during the installation phase.

Is this correct?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  16. Shoey

Shoey Guest

You are correct aldaco12 with your post and the reason why to create an "play disc" if one should decide to upgrade drive(s) in the future. I read a post over at CD-Freaks where one individual made a backup of UT 2003 and this individual didn't make an "install disc". Well the individual upgraded drives and his drive couldn't bypass the TwinPeak (tages) cd protection of SecuROM 4.8.x. That is why it is important to create 2 backups of disc 1 (UT 2003). The BlindWrite team live internet assistant even tells us to make 2 backups of the SecuROM 4.8.x protected cd.

Shoey