1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove DRM from WMV

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by SkyDomain, Oct 31, 2005.

1. SkyDomain

SkyDomain Member

I capped some stuff with WM Recorder, but I get that pesky DRM protection along with it.

Is there any program that can remove the DRM protection on the WMV file?
    Or is there a good manual way to bypass it?

2. spencsm

spencsm Guest

The easiest way I know is to burn the files to CD, then rip them again (with AnyDVD running in the background).

Apparently Blaze Media Pro has a tool for this, but I haven't tried it.

3. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Does AnyDVD really remove DRM. If I download from Rhapsody, do I just copy tracts onto a blank CD-R, then wright them back to computer (using Nero to make a music compilation) with AnyDVD in background?

4. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I don't know of any method to break WMDRM that works well. Fairuse4wm is said to do that but I'm not certain, and it requires you have a valid license key, which often defeats the whole purpose. There are a few programs out there (e.g. Tunebite) that claim to do it but don't.

Burning WMV to a disc won't eliminate the DRM. That only works with certain audio encodings and even then only if you have the license and/or the copyright owner's proprietary software. Neither AnyDVD nor any other ripper will do anything; they are for ripping DVDs, and you are dealing with WMV files. You would have to break the DRM before you could successfully convert them to DVD.

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You have it reversed, the point of Fairuse4wm is fair use, hence the name. If it worked when you didn't have a valid license, then that would be theft, not fair use.

6. Lasse87

Lasse87 Regular member

You mean downloaded adult material? They have almost always some kind of protection and need some license to be played.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  7. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

DRMed WMV is a scam, and really a form of spam and/or fraud, so, no, breaking the DRM without a key is quite fair. I do take the victim's side of this, not the scam-artists'. But, with that said, the lesson learned is not to bother with that junk in the first place. File-sharing, torrents, etc. - it's a monumental waste of time, and I think after you get burned a few times, you'll learn that it's not worth the time and headache - not to mention security risks - of delaing with it.