1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Zeyf414, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

I am building a brand new system because my old one is... well just too old. I want to be able not only to do Office work and gaming, but also video and picture editing, transferring VHS and burning onto DVD, et. al. I was looking at LCDs but someone on another site said that LCDs are not designed for video/media and CRTs are much better for this because LCDs still having "ghosting" and other issues. I knew in the beginning that LCDs had their problems but the tech has improved dramatically. So, was the advice given to me correct? And if it is what CRTs do you recommend and if not what LCDs are good? What should I look for in an LCD?

Thanks. (this is all new to me)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hi.

Originally, CRT monitors were the only monitors you could use for gaming. For a start my 19" CRT monitor goes up to 2048x1536 resolution, whereas a 19" LCD monitor would only achieve 1280x1024. It can also achieve a higher frame rate at lower resolutions, having a response time low enough to produce a 150Hz picture. TFTs usually can manage no more than 60Hz, which can lead to poorer image quality. The widely spread term "ghosting" most commonly occurs when the picture frame rate (i.e. 60Hz) exceeds the monitors response time.

In english, the response time is how long it takes the monitor to produce each picture. Hence a 20ms LCD would only achieve 50 frames in an entire second, and given you'll have a 60Hz signal, ghosting may occur in gaming.

However, with recent improvements in LCD technology, response times can be up there in the league of CRTs, some with only 3 or 4ms response times.

So if you're a fan of high-res get a CRT, but if 1280x1024 is fine, you may as well get an LCD.

As for brand, buy Viewsonic. They're my preferred brand, and produce the best monitors in both the CRT and LCD field, albeit expensive ones.
    The top class LCD you can get is the Viewsonic VX924. Nice.
    I'll leave you to make your own decisions but I hope I've cleared up the situation somewhat.

3. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Sammorriss, thanks for your quick reply. Yes, you definitly gave me information to ponder. If I read you correctly the lower the # of the ms response time the better, right? Is there anything else I should look for in either LCD or CRT? Thanks again.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, you want:

Low Response time
    High Resolution (although in LCDs this is pretty standard for the size you choose)
    Reputable brand:
    Use: Viewsonic, LG, Philips
    Avoid: Acer, Benq, Digimate

Also check what connection the monitor you're looking at uses. If it has a VGA (D-SUB) type connector (The blue one that's bigger at the top than the bottom) then you'll obviously need the appropriate port on your Graphics card.
    If it has a DVI type connector (Long and white) then likewise. If you're Graphics card doesn't have the right connector on it, but you really like the monitor, buy the monitor anyway and while you're at it pick up a converter from VGA to DVI which cost a couple of dollars/pounds/euros.

5. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

I didn't even think of the type of connection and the graphics port. I hope you don't mind answering more questions but it has been a very long time since I built my last PC and so much has changed I feel like a newbie again (always hated that term but so descriptive). For the LCD what would be a good response time, i.e. don't go higher than? Also, what dot.pitch is good? High resolution? Thanks again.

6. rooster33

rooster33 Guest

well, i just got a samsung 19 inch on newegg for $278 after a $50 mail-in. i got it mainly because it has a 8ms refresh rate which is very good for a 19inch. if you are willing to sacrifice some size, you could go for a 17inch. the refresh rates are good on those and the prices are dropping like crazy. just make sure you get a decent brand. i like samsung, lg, and viewsonic to name a few. prices always seem to be pretty good on acer monitors and i've had good luck with their lcds, but i've heard horror stories from others about acer.
    good luck with your hunt.
    if you want to pick up the samsung i got, its a 915n, i'll recommend it anyday.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Avoid acer, the contrast is horrible on both the 1711 and 1512 models my school has. ugh, their Relisys ones are better but still not great (they're 15")

Imo, the maximum response time you should be looking at is 16ms, but 12 or lower is a high performance guideline. The VX924 has a 4ms response time, but that's quite an expensive screen. Really, 8 or 12 is perfectly good enough, and 16 isn't bad either. Just avoid 20,25 and 30, they can often be pretty hopeless, but unfortunately are the only refresh rates you get on big screens (21" and above).
    The best LCD available is probably a viewsonic 20" 1600x1200 monitor, but if you actually have a budget of any reasonable size then a standard 19 or 17" screen will do you fine.

I haven't ever really experienced a problem with dot pitch being too high,low etc.
    Any image quality problems usually relate to resolution, response time, and just general 'who makes it'.
    That's not to say there aren't some good cheap LCDs, i'm sure there are, but I haven't found any...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005