1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

splitting problem

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by dic, Mar 5, 2003.

1. dic

dic Member

when i split the file into 2 files with virtualdub. the quality degrade because i used the same bitrate to rip the divx again. but if i don't rip it, the size will be huge. how can i solve this problem? thx.

2. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

What program are you using to do the original encode with? And are you encoding into .avi with the DivX codec or into vcd/svcd?

3. dic

dic Member

i used dvd2avi and VFAPIConvert to create a pesudo avi then to create a .avi with virtualdub. i'm using the 5.03 codec. thx

and besides, the quality before split still doesn't satisfy me. the bitrate is already 1200kbps. it's 2 pass already.

4. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

I'm using DVDx 2.1 for my videos - it's got 2-pass built in. In other words, you can set up your settings for the first pass and then you can also set up the same or different settings for the second pass all in one shot. Works great with DivX 5.0.3 - on the first pass I set DivX up as Multipass - First Pass and for the second pass I set DivX up as Multipass - Nth Pass. If you need to do a third or fourth pass to achieve your desired file size later (by adjusting the bitrate on the DivX settings dialog), just set DivX up as Multipass - Nth Pass and it will actually continue to increase the quality of your video by spreading around the bitrate smarter in each successive pass even as you are decreasing your bitrate setting.
    Unfortunately, you will probably not be able to download this program in this most useful form because the latest version is 2.2. And I don't know what those guys are up to at http://www.labdv.com (creators of DVDx) but in v2.2 there is no longer any support for DivX or many other codecs including Xvid, Angelpotion, etc. In v2.2, only codecs from Cinepak, Indeo, Microsoft, and one or two other mainstream companies show up in the codec manager even though DivX and others are installed on my system. I'm not sure if this was by design or by flaw (in my opinion it's a serious flaw).
    I've been using DVDx for some time now and even though the program does have some flaws (dragongodz, read: Audio processessing is seriously broken in NTSC and possibly PAL), I really like the general user-friendliness compared to other dvd backup programs and the video quality is top-notch. I'm encoding 2hr+ dvd's that fit on 1 700MB cd at plus or minus 700Kbs with very little detectable loss of quality.
    Anyways, let me know if you (or anyone else) wants to get their hands on this awesome little tool and since I don't think you'll be able to find the 2.1 version if you don't already have it (this version was only out for 2 weeks before v2.2 crashed the scene), I'll host it for ftp download.
    I can even show you how to get around the "stuttering" audio output although by the programs you are using you may already know how:).

Note 1: This is a free program therefore this is not a post about warez (so don't ban me 8P~).

Note 2: Even though this is a free program, http://www.labdv.com is a members-only site. You would need to download it from http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1003545444
    -or-
    http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/dvdx.html
    -or-
    ???

Bear in mind that you will be downloading the 2.2 version with no support for DivX, Xvid, etc.

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

You'll have much better success using Vidomi& DivX MPEG4 3x alpha codec. You rip the movie, open Vidomi and input your settings (one time only), chose your output file format (DivX, Xvid, AVI), just to name a few and off you go, simple as that.
    Vidomi: http://www.vidomi.com/
    MPEG4 DivX 3x Alpha: http://www.doom9.net/

If you wan't kore "advanced" options and still create superior DVD2DivX video quality, then use Gordian Knot.
    Gordian Knot download& tutorial:http://www.doom9.net/

Shoey

6. dic

dic Member

Thx guys. I'll try both software. since i know the basic of ripping dvd to divx/xvid. just that the quality doesn't satisfy me. and no matter how many passes i did in process(tried at most 6 passes) with virtualdub, the quality of the 2 .avi files are exactly identical.
    since vidomi says it can only rip tv quality (from their website), i would go for dvdx or Gordian Knot. i have dvdx 1.8, but it keeps giving me error msg, forgot how i tweak, i gave up using it. btw, i'm downloading dvdx2.1. is the size around 2mb? ThX!

7. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

I'm glad you were able to find v2.1. Built-in 2-pass was just added in this version so you should definately try it over v1.8. The file size is 1,983KB. Also, you should switch the skin to 'metal (by dragongodz)' first thing. This changes the buttons along the bottom row and makes them more useful (Once you do this everything you need to do with the program can be accessed by these buttons). To do this go to File / Themes / metal (by dragongodz). Restart program to take effect.

I tried Gordian Knot but found the slider-operated bitrate versus resolution to be too restrictive. End results were always poor. Also tried Vidomi with the same results. I might tinker around with Vidomi one of these days and see if I can get it to work better or at least see if there's any neat tools/functions on it that it can do. That's the cool thing about trying lots of different programs; you learn what they can do and then when you're in a pickle one day you know which one can overcome the obstacle. Trying Gordian Knot introduced me to DVD2Avi, VirtualDub and NanDub. I'd already used DVD Decrypter before that.

Let me know if you have any questions with DVDx.

8. Bycrosoft

Bycrosoft Member

Dude.... dont listen to them....
    just when splitting set it up as "direct stream copy" on both video and audio....
    itll only take like 3 minutes after tht

9. dic

dic Member

I think i checked direct stream copy. But it still warned me the file size will be too large (few gb) if no compression. but quality degrades again after compress.
    and thanks for all of you giving me useful feedback. I really appreciate it.
    btw. I may post the problem again about dvdx(experience a few so far). Hopefully you guys can help me. : )I've tried easydivx, dvd2avi, dvdx 1.8, flaskmpeg. they either gave me error msg or created unsatisfactory quality .avi. Totally fed up of looking for another ripping software.

10. Bycrosoft

Bycrosoft Member

Well, your always gunna get a lower quality when you use compression, because its compressing it; lower quality.....
    when trying to compress use divx and use a large bitrate.... if its a movie use a calculator like dv-tool
    if its just a movie use around 910 bitrate on divx.....

11. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Ask away, dic!

12. dic

dic Member

To Bycrosoft: here's the problem. I ripped the movie(die hard3, 2hrs long) with a bitrate 1200kbps, the total size is 12xxmb(but the output was like vcd quality). I wanna split it into 2 files so that i can burn it into 2 discs. I tried to ignore the huge size warning. after 5%-10% of splitting process, the file is like few gb already. I got no choice but to compress with 1200kbps again. then the quality degrades again.
    Thx so much, PopWeasel!!

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

PopWeasel,
    Did you print out the Gordian Knot tutorial and follow step by step? I've used this spectacular program for backing up dvd2divx and my playback video is astonishing! I prefer Vidomi though and just backed up a movie earlier today. Again, the playback video is superior and I won't use any other program. Why should I?

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2003
  14. dic

dic Member

ok. I ripped using dvdx 2.1. the quality is acceptable. at least better than using flaskmpeg and dvd2avi/virtualdub. pictures are sharper and more colourful. but here's some problems:
    1.) I open .ifo file. it popups an input window, what option i should checked? I left Use ASPI, DeMacrovision, originals, audio/video synchronisation, dolby surrand, and detect progr. 24hz. checked. Other things should be changed?
    2.) received an error msg after I clicked ok. "ASPI not available, DVDx won't be able to unlock DVD drive and to read file bigger than 2GB. but I clicked yes to continue and ignore the msg.
    3.) the file will be corrupted if I enable 2pass, the output is 4mb only.
    4.) In the output settings window, what export (avi+premiere) should I pick? (i picked YUY2, wanna know which one is better) and should I check "Multi pass" at the bottom right corner? Thx.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2003
  15. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

I usually rip with SmartRipper, sometimes DVD Decrypter.

INPUT SETTINGS:

(Items that pertain to Video)

Use ASPI: No
    Demacrovision: Yes
    Key Search: Each VOB ID
    Subtitle: None
    Original Colors: Yes
    Output Frame Rate: This item depends on where you are. In U.S. you should set this to 23.976 (NTSC). In most areas of Europe you should set this to 25.0 (PAL).
    Detect Prog 24Hz: Yes
    Force 24Hz: Yes
    Misc iDCT: Optimize this for your processor type. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ so I use the last optimization setting: SSE/3DNow+ (Intel P3, AMD Athlon)
    Deinterlace Filter: None

(Items that pertain to Audio)

*IF* you are going to use DVDx to process your audio simultaneously with your video then these options are how you want to set it up. Note: You will probably experience undesirable audio pops and clicks especially in parts of your movie where there is music (beginning, credits, action sequences) and/or during sudden loud areas of the movie such as explosions.
    Audio/Video Synchronisation: Yes
    Audio Track: You usually want to choose the one that is English AC3 2ch highest on the list. English AC3 6ch is Dolby and 1) it is usually about twice the size of 2ch so you will be wasting valuable space that could be used for higher video bitrate, 2) since you are encoding into mp3 audio you are losing Dolby surround anyway. Sometimes there will be 2 English AC3 2ch's. The lower one will be the director's commentary or interviews with the actors, etc. So, before you encode a full movie, in Output Settings always encode a small chapter to test both the video and the audio to make sure it's what you want.
    Dolby Surround: I haven't noticed any difference whether this is checked or not.
    48KHz to 44.1KHz: 44.1KHz (no conversion)

You can tweak your audio settings to see if you can get better results with different configs but I've been using this program a long time and I've read a lot about it and encoding in general and these are the settings that I've settled on using.

(Items that pertain to your system/performance)

Save your DVD Drive/Size (MB): Use RAM for faster performance and allot RAM depending on your system specs. For example, I have 1GB of RAM on my rig so if I am setting it up to encode before I go to bed (i.e. nothing else will be happening on my computer) then I allot 512Mb. It's a good idea to try not to be doing stuff on your comp while it's encoding. If I am downloading or uploading via FTP or something else that takes small cpu power while encoding then I'll allot say, 384Mb for DVDx to have to work with.

That's it for the Input Settings. If I missed something just ask.

16. dic

dic Member

input setting: I picked FPU because it said best quality. I don't care about the speed, but only the quality. and you know what "force 24Hz" does?
    I also have problems about output setting that i mentioned in the previous post. question 3 and 4. thx. I will try version 2.2 since it said that it fixed the bug of 2 pass problem. and after that, will try Gordian Knot.

17. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

"FPU" is just a generic catch-all and doesn't implement the full encode capability of your processor (i.e.: utilizing the sse2/3dnow instruction set optimizations). "Force 24Hz" is the equivalent of DVD2Avi's "Force FILM" function. It sets your frame rate correctly.
    I didn't quite understand your #3 question. Is this an error message you got, or is this you saying that the output was corrupt and only created a 4mb file after the 2nd pass? If the latter is true, it sounds like on your 2nd pass, in the DivX dialog settings you had it set to Multipass - 1st Pass. Remember when you encode 2-pass with DivX the first pass has to be set for Multipass - First Pass and the *second* pass has to be set for Multipass - Nth Pass. Any further passes for the same piece of video would be Multipass - Nth Pass also. If you just do one pass but have it set at Multipass - First Pass then it won't be fully processed and you won't be able to watch this video. Same goes if you do 2 passes but both passes are set for Multipass - First Pass.

Your #4 question asked about Premiere plugin. Just leave this set to "Not Enabled." It refers to if you have Adobe Premiere ($549 http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/main.html) installed and want to export some of the work to it. Leave the "Multipass" option at bottom right unchecked as this is refering to the export to Adobe Premiere. You also asked what color format you should use in the Export (Avi+Premiere) setting. Since we're not using Premiere just leave it set at RGB24. If you change this setting you will end up with a corrupt avi or will just get an error message and it won't encode. This may have been what caused your corrupt avi in question #3.

What kind of processor do you have? There is another setting where the type of processor you have makes a difference in what option you choose. It's the "Export Settings" (upper right of Output Settings) / "Resize" setting. Also, in the "Resolution" fields you should enter 640 x 480. In "Zoom", you usually want to use "Medium (4/3)". Once in a while, if you have a dvd that is full-screen or close to it, then you will just want to use "None (Letterbox 4/3)" in the Zoom setting. If you ever use "Pan Scan (4/3)" or "Full (16/9 or 4/3 input)" you will go cross-eyed trying to watch the movie as it really crops the edges and zooms in close- really strains the eyes!

Don't forget to just encode a small chapter first to test the output before you commit to the full encode. You may have figured out how to do this already. If not, in "Output Settings" under "Volume don't exceed," click on "Custom Chapter." Click on the "Settings" button just to the right and look for the chapter with the shortest time. Depending on your dvd the shortest chapter time will range from :55 secs (plus or minus) to over 8:00 minutes (plus or minus). Highlight the shortest chapter by clicking on it once (to deselect a chapter click on it again) then click on "Create Volume," finally click "Close." Do this to test that you picked the right audio track if you are using DVDx to process your audio, and also to check to make sure you got the "Zoom" setting right. It will also give you a good idea of what the output quality will be like so you can adjust your bitrate if wanted.

That's pretty much it. Just dial-in your DivX settings and you're set.

Did I forget anything/got more questions? - Just ask!

18. dic

dic Member

ok thx man. I didn't get the error msg in my #3 question. it just creates a 4mb corrupted file in my folder. it may due to the colour setting problem. I'll deal around the colour setting later. and my processor is the same type as yours. 1700+. think i should change to SSE/3DNow next time. I'll ask you if i have question. : )

19. folio

folio Member

Ive used DVDX2 and really had good results by using DIVX 5.0.3 first pass only but then again it depends a lot on the film. Ived used a bitrate of 986 and incredible results for a 1 hour 30 film like Monsters Inc. but on the other hand ive noticed that it isnt a rule of the thumb for every film that length!! I have a question would appreciate it very much if Popweasel or someone could explain in more depth, on the setting of Divx 5.0.3 Pro...DVDX2 does have it as option for encoding, but im not too sure of the settings... i.e after working out the bitrate for the film, do i set that same bitrate for both passes? Is it better to select Home Theater or Hign Definition profile??
    I have tried this and DVDX just froze at 50% during encoding process!? What did i do wrong? Is there a guide out there for 2 pass encoding with DVDX2 and the DIVX 5.0.3 Pro codec? Step by step for setting up the 2 pass encoding!!?!
    Im new to all this so please forgive my ignorance in all this! thanks for any help
    folio

20. dic

dic Member

I just know that my computer will freeze in the middle of the process if I select YUY2 at the export option in the output window. I picked RBG32. and the file is corrupted if YV12 is selected. and i can't answer you on other questions, since i'm just the beginner. I always stick the same bitrate for both passes. quality is 1st priority for me.