1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Typing???? Exactly what is it and why

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by eddiechi, Nov 18, 2005.

1. eddiechi

eddiechi Member

I see the option in Nero to book type, Im new at this and did a search on here for it but haven't found a descriptive explanation besides turning a dvd-r into a dvd rom..... why would one "book type" something.... or "dvd rom" something? what uses does it provide?

Thank You

2. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

I am copying this from Bbmayo's FAQ:
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/FAQ.htm
    Just remember booktyping can only be done on DVD+R or DVD+RW or DVD+R DL. If you have a -R then its going to stay -R and can't be changed.
    doesn't work on DVD-R, just +R types. I use mostly DVD+R now as i like it to be booktyped to DVD-ROM. Hope that helped. Here is what Nero says when you set booktype;
    [​IMG]

3. eddiechi

eddiechi Member

Thank You, I did a search for this but didn't see the thread you directed me to in my search.........

Ok, so in essance I should only buy DVD+R from now on so I can booktype and should do it to all your backups to insure highest probability of compatibility with stand alone dvd players. Now I see in dvd decrypter it has a few writers listed in there, what to do if your model doesn't appear, I have the sony dru-810a and see Benq in the list in which I read sony 810a is a carbon copy of the benq... at work now so I can't test it, but hope I can try it with my sony.

Thank You

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@eddie

well, i have a Sony too, but i have yet to even see the Sony dru-830 that you mentioned you have yet...i've only seen up to the Sony dru-810a (which is a rebadged Benq 1640), but, i have NO IDEA what the so called "830" would be???

i have the Sony dru-710a (which is a rebadged Liteon 1633S) as well as a Liteon 1693S (which is the Sony dru-800 counterpart)...so, i'm very familiar with all of Sony's drives and their rebadged/manufacturers...

please shed some light on this so called "830" Sony that you have...who actually makes it from your knowledge?

in dvd decrypter, i use the "liteon" tab for my booktyping on the Sony dru-710a, but before you can use either the Liteon or Benq tab...we need to figure out WHO actually manufacturers your drive...

docTY~

5. eddiechi

eddiechi Member

I'm sorry, it is a Sony dru810a, I replaced my dru-530a with the 810 and mistakenly called it an 830. I have to go back and edit that.... sorry for the misinformation. Would you know who made the sony 530? Or what it was rebadged from???

6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

not a problem...i was thinking perhaps you may have your hands on a new Sony that isn't even available yet here in the U.S. (to my knowledge at least) :)

the dru810a = benq 1640 and you can use the benq tab in decrypter to set booktype on it~ :)

i have the actual Benq 1640 (bought it OEM) and use Benq's own tools to set booktyping on the drive, but, as MY sony dru-710a proves it, decrypter WILL do the job (on mine i use the Liteon tab) PRIOR to the actual burn~ :)

good luck and happy burning

docTY~

edit. ps...i BELIEVE the older Sony's were ALL rebadged Liteon drives, i am not 100% sure about your 530, but my guess is that it's a rebadged Liteon~ :)

7. eddiechi

eddiechi Member

Thank You for this info, I also see that you have your # of burns tabulated(estimated) in your signature line...... Just out of curiousity, is there a program that keeps a count on burned dvd's out there?

8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

not that i am aware of...but, my burn count in my sig. is an approximation, give or take 50 here and there...:) but, with thousands under my belt, WHO's counting? i know it would take me all day to actually COUNT them all...besides, what if i lose count after say 3,000? then what? LOL

but, IF you can find a program that will keep tally, please let me know...i would be more than willing to try it out~

docTY~

9. eddiechi

eddiechi Member

Ok, that's what I figured but was curious.....I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum, very very informative! Has saved me many hours of trial and error. Thank You

10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

anytime i can lend a hand, i'm only a PM or post away~ :) ur very welcome and enjoy your stay here at AfterDawn~ :) lots of VERY good info. to be obtained here~

docTY~

11. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

@eddiechi
    Satisfaction guaranteed or your money cheerfully refunded :)
    I/we like helping ppl. Doc is a real doc, and you have to really want to help ppl if you want to make it thru med school.

12. pathfinda

pathfinda Guest

funny that i found this post....

I have a NEC ND-3530a DVD burner and Nero 7. When i go to change the Book Type, I don't have an Option dropdown. Am I am able to change the Book type using this drive??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2005