1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ffdshow directshow and tmpgenc

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by raddish, Nov 19, 2005.

1. raddish

raddish Member

I previously posted about some problems I was having with ffdshow (latest builds) and tmpgenc.
    The problem is that once ffdshow is installed (I currently have the 20051103 build) tmpgenc can not read avi files through directshow.
    I thought the solution in this thread worked for me
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/253876

however, it turns out that I had just inadvertantly enabled tmpgenc to read through the vfw part of ffdshow. While this works - it does not work well and causes all sorts of problems with tmpgenc.

All other software on my system works with ffdshow no problem.
    2004 builds of ffdshow work with tmpgenc absolutely no problem at all.
    Someone has also posted on a tmpgenc forum about this
    http://bbs.tmpg-inc.com/bbs.php?board=en_tmpgenc#topic29394

Does anybody have a possible solution for me or do I need to revert to using a 2004 build of ffdshow?

Edit: The last build I can find that works with tmpgenc was 20050527

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well You can allways Frameserve from say "Virtual-Dub" to Tmpgenc ...

I have the Latest Build of FFDShow installed and I have No problems Loading AVI files into Tmpgenc, i sometimes have to disable the "Direct show File Reader" and use the "AVI VFW File reader" but that hasn"t caused me any problems as of yet and Frameserveing is allways a Good work-arround.....

Good luck

3. raddish

raddish Member

frameserving from virtualdub is not really an option for me as I often batch encode. I'm currently having to either use an older version of ffdshow or use mainconcept mpeg encoder that has no problems with ffdshow.

Using vfw with ffdshow and tmpgenc - a video that would usually take 90 minutes to encode now takes around 6 hours. A one hour xvid file encoded to mpeg will contain one hour of video and one hour of junk data. I have no idea why this occurs but it appears to be caused by some kind of incompatability between ffdshow (new builds) and tmpgenc.
    tmpgenc also ha no problems with the standalone xvid directshow codec - however, it is a little slower than ffdshow.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if you Frameserve with AVISynth you can batch encode in Tmpgenc but Frameservering does slow down the encodeing somewhat....

Cheers

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

??? Frameserving with AVISynth should speed the encoding up, that is if you have it resize, etc. instead of letting TMPGEnc do it. With AVISynth you can resize before converting to RGB.

6. raddish

raddish Member