1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning a KVCD as an SVCD ?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by fizikz, Dec 17, 2005.

1. fizikz

fizikz Member

Hi, I'm really new to burning so please bear with me.

I'm not really sure what KVCD is exactly, but I'm guessing it is some kind of format... Anyways, I have a KVCD file (bin and cue files) that I would like to burn onto a CD. In Nero Express, I selected to make an SVCD and tried to add the aforementioned bin/cue files. Nero said that they are not in the right format; I think it said it wants MPEG 2. Also, the file is about 820MB, which I think would be difficult/impossible to fit on a CD. What are my options; what would you suggest I do? Any help is appreciated.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

KVCD is a format intended to be burnt to a 700 MB CD. Just burn as a regular Bin/Cue in Nero Burning Rom and when the option to overburn is shown, select OK and then burn at the slowest speed possible. The burn should complete but give a failure message. The video should play fine. Just ensure you use a 700 MB CD and burn at a slow speed. I just burned a 780 MB file and received these messages and it plays fine.

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

(I'supposing you're speaking of standard a KVCD, not of a KVCDx2 or of a KVCDx3)
    First, a you cannot convert very successfully a KVCD into a SVCD. A KVCD mpeg is a 352x240/288 (NTSC/PAL) movie encoded MPEG-1 VBR (300-1800 kbps; therefore the use 'KVCD' since a VCD is 1150 kbps CBR).
    A SVCD is a 480x480/576 MPEG-2 movies encoded VBR 1150-2500 kbps.
    Since garbage in = garbage out, don't expect great result.
    In you wished anyway to make this conversion, what would you need to do?

1) VCDGear cue/bin --> mpeg ; with this command you extract the full 'true movie', lat's say movie.mpg.
    2) Your favorite encoder: load movie.mpg and encode it movie_SVCD.mpg.

This is the only way. A cue/bin is an image file that, if burned on a CD, would containg a file named AVSEQ01.DAT, whivh is a mpg wile with header. You must extract the movie frm the image, first, then emoving the header. This is what VCDGear does.
    After that, movie.mpg which is a MPEG-1, since it comes from a KVCD must be conerted into a SVCD file, and you need to author a SVCD with it.

The thing I don't think you want to do (or you cannot expect great results from) is to create a 480x480/576 1870 MB (2x835 MB; a 80' CD-R can contain 835 MB and no more than 55' must fit in a 80' CD-R, so no less than 2 CD-R , and often 3 CD-R , are needed to contain a movie, since a movie is approx. 85'-120') movie starning from a low-quality 352x240/288 800 MB movie.
    Unless yout DVD player cannot read KVCD and reads SVCD instead, but usually what it happens is the opposite (SVCDs are less readable than KVCDs).

And remember: with a MPEG-1 352x240/288 movie you can author a VCD.
    With a non-standard MPEG-1 VBR you can author a KVCD.
    With a MPEG-2 480x470/576 you can author a SVCD or (if it's 720x480/576) a DVD.
    To author a specific media format you need its movie type (well, sometime you can author a DVD containing many VCD movies - with DVD Lab - but no CD)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  4. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

a KVCD file is a modification of the standard VCD, under KVCD you can fit a reasonably good quality full length movie onto a single cd compatible with any dvd player...

to make one you need a program like TMPGEnc with the right templates...

KVCD are best burnt with programs such as NTI under VCD mode because under SVCD i am pretty sure it re-encodes making you split it so keep these in mind...

5. fizikz

fizikz Member

Thanks for the replies.

Following mistycat's post, I burned the file to a 700MB CD. As predicted, there were some error messages, but it still plays fine until the last few seconds. There the my DVD drive (I tested this on my pc)just keeps making a clicking sound and it freezes at that point. The good news is, this is at the end of the credits. I just hope that it doesn't cause problems with my DVD player and cause it to freeze. Other than this, everything seems fine.

Thanks aldaco12 and Phantom69 for your posts too. As you mentioned, since KVCD is of lesser quality than SVCD, there is no point in converting a KVCD to SVCD. I didn't know about this, I just wanted to burn it in the best possible way. Like I said, I'm new to burning, and I'm not familiar with authoring (what's that?), encoding, or those other softwares mentioned.

By the way, I burned the KVCD with Nero Express 6. Would I have had better results with another program?

6. Wenkuo

Wenkuo Member

Ususally,if you have a disc image file(cue/bin,mds/mdf, iso,nrg...),just select "burn disc image...." mode and don't matter what it is. In (S)VCD mode, you should add "MPG" file as assets, not cue/bin. Unfortunely, your image file is still too bigger to burn. This is a common trick to prevent copy, becuase people own only a 700MB cd.

The first solution is to get a special disc with about 850MB. Run "Nero cd dvd speed" and make a test on this new disc. Then turn on the overburn mode and revise cd size from the test result. If all is fine, select "burn disc image" mode to burn.

The second is to burn into dvd, i always do this. All of most dvd player can play a data dvd with mp3, mpg, dat or jpg file. Just load your image file into a virtual driver such as "Daemon Tools", and then you can see the content. Select to burn a data dvd and drag all of .dat file from the "mpegav" directory to Nero window. Before you burn, remember to choose "allow files to add later". This option let you burn a dise several times until it is full.

7. fizikz

fizikz Member

Ok, I tested it further. On my PC, it plays ok except for a few hiccups, i.e. the video "jerks" on a couple of occasions. Other than this, it seems to be ok. However, on my standalone DVD player, it doesn't work well. The video and the audio alternately lag every few seconds, rendering it completely unwatchable. The DVD player is a Koss KD260-2 from Costco.

8. nambi

nambi Member

Not sure If it's my disk or it's the program but I'm trying to burn a KVCD and I was told that the speed of burn determines the quality of playback so I'm trying to burn at 2x but my 80 cdrw which are rated at 24x (they never burn at 24x) always burn at 16x, and playback is pretty bad. I can't choose a slower speed and when I take the disk out and choose 4x it still jumps back to 16x.

Anyone else have a problem such as this?