1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Copy Protected PC Games

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by AhrenBa, Dec 22, 2005.

1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Member

Hello,
    I would like to backup copies of a few of my copy-protected PC games. I have Alcohol 120% and A-Ray Scanner. I scanned my game, and it says it has SecuRom protection on it. I then go Alcohol 120% and make an image. Then I burn it to a disk, put it in the drive and wait. It brings up the game screen, then says I have to make sure the game disc is in the drive. It kept doing this until I downloaded Daemon-Tools and ran the Emulator.

Is there a way to burn copy-protected games and play them with out the need for an emulator? Thanks

2. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Member

Hey,
    Thanks for the input. One thing that I was wondering is the exact definition of a "1:1 copy"? Is that where the burned copy is the exact same as the original disc and no emulation is needed to play? Also, how do I tell if I have a "good burner" or which burners indeed are good for this?

Does the type of burner alone determine if you could make a 1:1 copy successfully? Or what does?

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

3. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Member

Ok, cool. Thanks again. I have found out Warcraft III is SecuRom. I have sucessfully made a backup of this game with Alcohol 120% except I could only do it with emulation running.

So basically, what you are saying is pretty much all new games have to be copied and ran with emulation in order to work? Right? It's pretty much impossible to run a new game without emulation? Thanks for the help.

Happy Holidays!

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Most burners cannot create a true 1:1 copy of Securom Protected games except Plextor premium burner (im not sure of the exact model of the Plextor but I can get it if needed)

With Alcohol you can enable emulation aswell.

I personally use A-ray scanner to determine all my backups so you are on the right path.

5. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Member

Ok, cool, thanks for the help guys. One thing I basically am still unsure on is it basically impossible to make a 1:1 copy of new games?? If not, are certain copy protections easier? What determines if you can make a 1:1 copy? Thanks

6. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Member

Ok, well at least thats good to know. Thank you!

Lets say if I did have a Plextor Premium and wanted to make a 1:1 copy, how would you go about doing that? Same way as you do it normally? (use A-ray to detect copy-protection, then use Alcohol 120% to make the image and burn) Or is there any settings you have change around to make it a 1:1? Thanks

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

A I stated earlier

Reason for this is, most if not all cannot write bit patterns back to the cd-r like the Plextor premiuim can, this is why there is "Emulation"...sucks I know but this is how the world works (In technology)

It also sucks that these newer protections (Securom 7 and Safedisc4) require some type of tool to be able to play your backups, Alcohol Has been a bit slow (as well as clonecd) in developing a newer datatype to create an actual working backup without the use of these tools.

-jjssj- gave some excellent links so take full advantage of them.

8. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2005
  9. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

I cant seem to download A-ray scanner anywhere. Does any1 know where I can get it?

10. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Member

11. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

@AhrenBA
    I did search in on yahoo but the link, "Windows Installer", isnt working. Ur probably thinking why dont i just download rar but i dont have a program to extract it.

@jjssj
    Gotcha..thx for the help

12. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

is Alcohol free?

13. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

No, but you can get a 30day trial period. If you like it and it suits your need then you ahould purchase it :)

14. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Member

Nope, I think I have a pretty good idea now. Thank you all for your help. One last thing, from what I understand using a Plextor Premium is the easiest way to make a 1:1 copy, right? Thanks again.

15. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

can i use daemon tools instead of alcohol?
    If not, what other programs can i use?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2006
  16. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

17. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Member

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. Could you elaborate a bit more? Thanks :)

18. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

I was asking what other programs can do the same things that Alcohol 120 does? or is it the only software of its kind?

19. BondGE

BondGE Member

After downloading the "Game Protection Identifying Tools", how do you open the file? It only lets you download a ".rar" and I don't know how to open them.

20. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

In order to open a .rar file, u need an extractor like 7-zip (which u can get from download.com for free)