AfterDawn Forums

What will backup Fiddler on the Roof?

This discussion thread has 9 messages.

The latest AnyDVD, in combination with both DVD Shrink and Decrypter, failed to back up Fiddler on the Roof. Seems to get stuck on the VTS_07_04.vob file. Has anyone had luck with this title?
▼▼ This topic has 8 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
This is an old movie... I would think that DVDDecryter would be able to rip to hard drive without the help of AnyDVD! I use DVDDecryter all the time and it works flawlessly, even the newer DVDs!
It certainly perplexes me. Though the movie is obviously old, the DVD files are dated in 2001. The AnyDVD info is

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.7.3.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: FIDDLER_1
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

I cannot understand why I can’t rip or make an image file of it. Always hangs on that one file.
Your disc isn't scratched? Or, i had a problem with a box set of DVD's like that. The disc was in perfect condition, but it seemed that i had a bad press of the disc. Since it was an episode collection, I was able to extract all the other sectors of the disc and just make an image. But other than that, i'm not too sure. Did you try DVDfab?
Try turning off AnyDVD, if it is not needed it could throw out a false error. But I'm leaning towards a dirty or scratched disc.

I've tried a series of programs, both with and without AnyDVD. While it certainly isn't the most scratched disk I've ever backed up, I suppose it only takes one critically located scratch to mess things up. I suppose I'll have to get my hands on another copy to test that theroy.
Get Scubapete's guide on ripping hard to rip discs here: http://www.dvdplusvideo.com
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jan 2006 @ 2:12

I got my hands on another copy and it ripped without a problem with DVDShrink. I can only conclude that one of the scratches on my copy was bad enough to prevent the ripping. It surprises me as some of my other DVDs have far worse scraches and none of these seemed severe. This does make me wonder if different releases of a title might be protected my different methods. Nonetheless, thank you all for your insight and help.
There shouldn't be more than one type of copy protection on the same title...your problem could have just been the scratches or possibly a bad press.

This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.