1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple Poll: What linux do you use/which do you think is the best?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by neronut, Jan 5, 2006.

1. neronut

neronut Regular member

I'm trying to find a good version of Linux to use, I have used both Ubuntu 5.10 and SUSE Linux 9.3 and 10. And have enjoyed them both. I was wondering what community members think is the best version they have used/want to use.

2. rundata

rundata Guest

i personally have used suse redhat unbuntu and dsl ubuntu is really good it has nice installer features and is good for windows people who are converting or playing. I use DSL because i can just pop in my flash disk and boot to linux wherever i need. well most the time :)

3. zugzwang

zugzwang Member

ive used redhat, mandrake, suse and am currently on slackware and im liking it!

4. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

The best linux distro's for me have been Debian, SuSE and Mandrake/Mandriva.
    Though i now prefer stuff like Freebsd/Openbsd (and other proper Unix stuff)

5. wangwen

wangwen Member

I have been use AS3, SuSE and Mandrake/Mandriva, I like those all, and now I will try debian and cenos

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

for me it has to be Mandriva/Mandrake, but that doesn't even come close to the awesome Solaris :)

7. neronut

neronut Regular member

What makes Solaris diiferent from Linux, I know its Unix based, but it's its own entity isn't it?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

indeed.. it's just 'proper' Unix. it just works permanently, ie it's bulletproof as it's designed for enterprise use.

9. rundata

rundata Guest

hmmm might try it out, never played with Solaris. Im still using DSL, need a winxp disk lol.

10. neronut

neronut Regular member

What would be a good version to work on a PII 300MHz with a 2.3GB HDD with 96MB ram?

11. rundata

rundata Guest

depends do you want a gui? (graphial interface) or do you just want to run daemons on it?

12. rundata

rundata Guest

To be fair tho, you can use any if you just custom install it and dont install too many features, but linux will run on nearly anything anyway lol.

13. Magri101

Magri101 Regular member

question .... if i were to install linux on my pc ..can i go back to Windows again ?

14. rundata

rundata Guest

15. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Member

You can install a Linux as a second OS and be able to boot your computer from either Win or Linux.

You might do some homework on the distribution of your choice before making any attempt to do so, and definately back all your data up in case something catastrophic happens.

Rundata's suggestio to try DSL is a good one,you can either run it Live, off a thumbdrive, or install it on your computer. If you are running it live, you won't be able to save any settings you change.

For more information on Linux distributions, check out Distrowatch. They track nearly all distributions, give reviews and summaires of each and provide all the links to download and support each distro.

Personally, I use Slackware 10.2

16. neronut

neronut Regular member

@rundata
    GUI (KDE or GNOME, I like both)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  17. rundata

rundata Guest

i prefer kde ;)

18. DMW

DMW Regular member

I'm definately not qualified to choose the best Linux, but at the moment I'm happy dual-booting with Windows XP and Kubuntu 5.10.

It's a very beginner orientated Linux which is perfect for me and uses apt-get to install packages with dependencies which I once had a nightmare with in Suse.

I've used Suse, mandrake, PCBSD, Knoppix, Ubuntu, College Linux, Linspire Live CD and finally settled on Kubuntu.

I seem to be sticking with this one longer than the others so it's definatley doig something right......aimed at beginners being the good thing for me :)

EDIT
    There's a test here http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php?select_lang=true&LDC=a75317d14fd7f9274253d9c6eafdc76f

It asks a few questions then recommends a few distros to try. It suggested 4 to me :) all good for beginners apparently lol

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  19. neronut

neronut Regular member

Cool test, It recommended the ones that I had selected myself, lol

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  20. kammakjuj

kammakjuj Member

lol, i also got the same one as I had picked out myself. (Mandriva)
    Maybe I was just lucky...