1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Word problem!

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by iamsam43, Jan 9, 2006.

1. iamsam43

iamsam43 Member

Hey,
    I was typing a document in Microsoft Word when I realized I mistyped somthing in the middle of my document. So I moved the flashing line thing to where my typo was and started to correct it when I realized it was erasing text as I was typing it! If I typed anything where I already had text, it would overwrite it while I was typing it as if my new text was eating my old text as I typed it! Now it was a VERY annoying experience but it wasn't the first time it has happened. It has happened various times on various computers w/ various keyboards. The only things all those incidents had in common was Microsoft XP Professional SP2, and Microsoft Office 2003. Before people have told me it was my keyboard or it was a virus, but I regulerly scan w/ Spybot, ad-aware and kasperspy (all latest defs) so my comps are always clean. And I know it's not my keyboard because I have had the same problem on all sorts of different keyboards! This problem does not happen every time I type in bitween existing text, it happens randomly as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions? Thanx! ;)

2. rav009

rav009 Active member

lol, i would never of thoght that anyone would ever post that but you did, fair play to you iamsam43,i recall the time i had that exact experiece,if you make any typos then youll mess up the whole thing and if you add a word in then youll delete the folowing word,and yes it does not happen everytime.

i have had this exact same thing and im sure it is no virus or spyware etc,thing is i cant recall what i did to fix it all i know is it was very hard to find out and simple to do and once again i dont think for me it was any sort of malware.

i think i had wrote this down some where and ill try to find it, if i dont then sorry it was a long time ago...

3. iamsam43

iamsam43 Member

THANK YOU! I'll just switch over to word perfect if I don't get it working, i've heard it's much better!

4. rundata

rundata Guest

lol all you are doing is pressing the insert key, above delete next to home.

5. iamsam43

iamsam43 Member

I'm definatly not pressing the insert key, but thanks anyway!

6. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

You sure? It sounds like the insert key lol

7. iamsam43

iamsam43 Member

I'm 100% sure I'm not pressing the insert key cuz number one, It only happens in Microsoft Word, and number two it happens when I type another letter or word in front of another word, and insert isn't in any of the words I know. Number three, pressing insert INSERTS things, it doesn't OVERWRITE things. Thanks anyway though.

8. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Pressing the insert key turns OVERTYPE on/off. But sometimes it turns itself on when you click in the middle of a snetence. To turn it off, either click the OVR at the bottom of your screen or just press insert.

9. rav009

rav009 Active member

yeh it works...whats a stupid thing that is,real anoying.

i had anoher way of doing it.

10. FiveIron

FiveIron Member

OMG i honestly thought that this forum had commputer nerds (i.e ppl that kno a lot about computers). i cant beleive someone would ask about the overwrite/insert key, and then suggest its a virus. even better weve got a member (not newbie or junior member) respodning that he/she too had the problem and it was complicated to solve. WOW, u kidding me.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  11. rav009

rav009 Active member

thats what i said in my post..

read it it was very hard to find and easy to fix...

you said weve got a member (not newbie or junior member) respodning that he/she too had the problem and it was complicated to solve. WOW, u kidding me

before you post a f****** stupid reply atleast read it right and have respect for people you k*** head so what is he had a problem thats simple to fix, theres no need to act like that....

12. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

Fiveiron - there is no reason to be an bumhole. i dont see you offering up anything helpful.

**edit: actually i see you have 5-6 threads going asking for help on various microsoft products. we actually have quite a few people here that know m$ products inside out, but i seriously doubt they'll help anyone with an attitude like that.

13. iamsam43

iamsam43 Member

Thanks mkaseatgb, that must be the way to fix it. I really appreciate everyone's help! And I was gonna comment on FiveIron's bumhole comment, but darthnip pretty much covered it!

14. FiveIron

FiveIron Member

the only reason im soo pissed, is that i pst serious complicated problems and NO ONE replies, then i see something soo simple and brainless and theres 10 replies. clearly showing that everyone on this forum are a bunch of morons

15. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Thank you iamsam43 for asking this question. This has happened to me many times. I had no idea why or how to fix. Thank you to those that replied.

@FiveIron Please rethink your comments. I may not be computer savvy, but I am not a MORON. Don't forget that many of us grew up in a world without even calculators, we had to use heads and pencil/paper or rely on slide rulers. Some of us, myself included, have a hard time adjusting to a technical world. It does not, however, make us MORONS.

16. rav009

rav009 Active member

why is this guys acount still active, claims this forums full of morons.

what a d*******.....

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

FiveIron is gone, let's not have him taking up forum space when there are other ppl around here who actually want to help others

18. rav009

rav009 Active member

thanks for that creaky, that guy was a right a hole.

19. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Well I wouldn't have banned him just for calling people morons. Although it was uncalled for.

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i guess he could be allowed back in as long as he behaves..over to you Ketola..