1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Guide to Gamecube Backup/Booting

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Icemonkey, Dec 12, 2003.

1. indienemo

indienemo Guest

you havnt said whether your using the PSO method or bios method

2. Siggi1609

Siggi1609 Guest

Ay??? That sounds really complicated. I am using the Cube with the Viper GC and Cobra 1.1
    When I download an ISO (or .GCM, just rename it to .ISO) I can just burn it to mini DVD (using Memorex 4X mini DVD's, Ritek G04 dye, other Ritek's should work too!), I can just play it. Just have to burn with Nero (not Nero Express or other software, don't understand why, but don't care either!) and all works OK. I do have to insert the disc before I power on the Cube, and wait 2-3 seconds before I hit the Direct Boot button, but apart from that it works brilliant. So all that is needed is Bit-Torrent, a DVD Burner, a mini DVD, couldn't be any more straightforward. Full instructions in how to do it available on request (mail@siegfriedtauscher.co.uk). (No need for memory cards, Broadband adaptors, and other dodgy tools)
    Obviously, don't pirat games, just make backups of games you have bought!

3. Caboose87

Caboose87 Guest

Hi guys. I just got PSO in the mail yesterday and tried to do this. When I tried to make a connection to my GameCube with PSUL, it just said "Waiting for connection..." even though I had tried to connect to the server in my game. I tried sevral times without luck (It always just says "waiting for connection:"). When PSO finishes, it just says "We were unable to connect to the network, please press the start button" (or something like that). I have tried with my Gamecube connected directly to my computer and with the GameCube connected to the router. I think I'm having problems on the PC side of things... When I make my I.P what it says in the guide, it gives me a warning when I close the protperties box saying "That static IP is already being used by a computer on the network" and then I click ok and it says under the icon of my ethernet card "aquiring network adress". I'm not sure what kind of cable I'm using to connect (I'll checkt he cable right away and tell you if I find info on it), but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem because I can play PSO online (I'm using a different memory card for this). I think the problem is with the IP adress. How can I resolve this problem? Should I just disconnect every PC except mine from the network and then set my I.P, and after that plug in the rest of the computers (they get their IP automatically, so if one's taken, it'll just use another one).

P.S: Sorry for hte lengthy post, I'm just trying to give as much info as I can so that you guys don't have to waste time saying "Please give us more info". If I missed something please tell me though. Also, don't tell me to get a Viper chip, because I am not the best solderer and I don't want to pay someone else to do it. Taking off the case/modding it is also not very appealing to me. I also don't want to spend alot of money on mini DVD-R's.

Thanks in advance,

Caboose87.

Edit: On the cable it says "CAT.5 Pacth Cable". Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2005
  4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

What are some of the IP addresses the other PC's on your home network using? If they start with 192.168.1.x that could be your problem. The tools I originally mentioned in my tutorial don't seem to work very well with different addresses. If it's not too much trouble, you might have to change the IP addresses of your other PC's to resolve the conflict.

5. Mantine

Mantine Guest

Hmm your right to tell you I am using the PSO method but the problem is that it is supposed to show the message that it has downloaded properly but... it goes like this

10.168.????
    10.168.32 (Connected) No message
    10.168.????
    10.168.????

And it goes on and on so my belief is that it doesnt save why?

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Try using the 192.168.1.x IP addresses to see if that clears the problem up. Also make sure you're not using the Plus version of Phantasy Star Online, it has to be the original version to work.

7. Caboose87

Caboose87 Guest

Thanks for your response IceMonkey =D. I'll try that later. But I was wondering what I should do about the other computers? I think that all of their I.P's start with 192.168.1x. Should I just unplug them all, except for mine, and then try to get it working? Or could I plug them back in afterwards and then they would automatically configure to different adresses? Right now all of the computers on hte network are configured so that they get the I.P automatically.

Edit: Also, I'm sure that I'm using the original version, and not hte plus one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2005
  8. cubico

cubico Member

Hi All!
    I'm Getting Really Upset At All The Bullcrap Help People Are Throwing Around The Net As Of Late In Regards To Gamecube mini DVD-r Mastering!

First Thing, There Is NO Need To Adjust Your Gamecubes Factory Default Laser Settings At ALL Unless You Are Experiencing Read Problems With ORIGINAL Gamecube Discs, In Which Case You Most Likely Have A Dirty Laser That Has Been Compromised With Dust, Carpet Fibres Or Even Maybe A Pubic Hair!! If There Is To Be Any Laser Tweaking, I Would Only Suggest Correcting Your DVD Writer's Disgusting Settings, But I Don't Wish To Sidetrack Anyone At This Point In Time!

Secondly, If You Have A Game File With The Extension *.GCM, Simply Rename It To *.ISO, That's It, DON'T Use Any Bogus Software That Supposedly Corrects Corrupted Or Patched Images.

Thirdly, Use NERO To Burn The Image, Click On 'MAKE DATA DVD' From The
    Nero StartSmart Interface. If It Opens Nero Express, Simply Click On
    The 'NERO' Button To Switch To Nero Burning Rom. Click On 'FILE', 'NEW', Then Click On 'OPEN' In The Bottom Right Corner, Locate Your *.ISO File And Open It, When It Loads And The Burn Compilation Window Appears Make Sure That The 'Finalize DVD' Option Is Selected In The 'BURN' Tab. Click The 'BURN' Button.
    Please Note That It Does NOT Matter What Media Or Speed You Burn At!
    I'll Explain Why This Does NOT Effect The Quality Of The Burn In A Moment.

Fourthly, After Successfully Burning Your Gamecube File, The Best Way I Have Found To Re-Copy The Burnt mini DVD-r Is To Use Alcohol 120%!
    Again, No Need To Worry About The Media And/Or Speed Settings!

Finally, I Will Explain Why You Guys Are Not Able To Boot Your Games,
    It Is Quite Simple, And By Now You Should Have Realised That That DVD Burner You Paid Top Dollar For Is A Piece Of Junk, I Don't Want To Be Harsh About It, But I Too Went Thru This Exact Same Experience Until I Realised I Had To Make A New DVD Burner Purchase! Supposedly NEC And Pioneer Are Your Two Best Choices In Brands, I Have Bought The Pioneer
    DVR-109. Also I Have Burnt These mini DVD'r Discs Successfully At 2X, 4X And 8X On ALL Of The mini DVD-r's That Were Made Available To Me!
    I Have Even Tested My Smudge/Fingerprint Theory And Have Purposely Dirtied A mini DVD-r, Wiped It Clean So That It Leaves A Few Scratches, Ran Heaps Of Applications In The Background, AnyDVD, Norton AntiVirus Hard Drive Virus Scan Whilst I Was Burning, I Even Noticed That The Burner's Buffer Was At 0% At One Stage Which Meant That Burning Had Been Paused Momentarily, And The Disc Was Still Burnt Successfully!! This Blows Those Stupid Theories Away About Turning Buffer Underun Off And That You Can Only Use Select Media To Write To.

Which DVD Burner Did I Own Previously That Gave Me The Unsuccessful Burns That You Guys Are Talking About You Ask?? The LG GSA-4082b, It Was Brand New Out Of The Box, The Third One After Two Replacements!!

I Hope That This Helps At Least One Person Out There, I Don't Wish People To Feel Weary That They Will Spend All This Money Setting Up Their Gamecubes To Run Back-Ups And They Wont Be Successful. You Will Be, ALL My GAMES Work Just Fine, No Glitches, No Slow Downs In Loading, No Sudden Freezes! I Have Re-Scrathed The mini DVD-r I Scratched Just Before Burning, And It Still Loads Perfectly Fine!
    If You Follow These Simple Directions You Wont Make Any Mistakes, I Can Promise That To 99% Of You Guys Out There.

By The Way, This Whole Write Up About Problematic Burns Applies To Dreamcast CD-r's Also, With Which I Have Had A 100% Failure Rate After Parting With My LITE-ON CD Burner And Turning To My LG DVD Burner.

For Those Who Care:
    Win Xp SP2,
    Nero 6.6.0.12 NVE 3.1.0.0,
    AMD 2400,
    512 Mb Of Ram,
    Ouch, What A Dated System!
    ;)

Greetz To Nintendo Australia, Thanx For Listening To My Video Game Music That Took Me 8 Years To Compose.
    I'll Stick To Writing Elevetor Music In The Future!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Michael Q '05.

9. Caboose87

Caboose87 Guest

=( Still can't get it to work. I tried unplugging all of the computers on the network except for mine and the gamecube (leaving the cables for the modem still plugged in though, obviously). I triple checked all of hte IP information, but still nothing. I was wondering if you could tell me exactly what yours looks like? for example:

PC:

IP adress: 192.168.1.x
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: X.X.X.X
    Preffered DNS: X.X.X.X
    Alrtenate DNS X.X.X.X

Gamecube:

IP adress: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask: 1.1.1.1.1

etc. Please tell me everything because some of the stuff you don't mention (like the PC's DNS). What could be some other problems? Are there other ways to connect?

10. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The tutorial mentions all of the TCP/IP information that is required. The PC need only be set with the address 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0. No gateway or dns need be specified. The Gamecube needs to be set at 192.168.1.32 netmask 255.255.255.0 with the option to not shutdown the connection when not in use to be set. Enter 192.168.1.100 as the default gateway on the Gamecube as well as for the primary dns server. Also, which version of Phantasy Star Online are you using?

11. Caboose87

Caboose87 Guest

Ok, thanks, I'll try to get it working again soon. This time I'm gonna try to use the GUI version for the loader. I am 100% sure that I am using Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2, and it is not hte PLUS version. I'll let you know how it goes. If it doesn't work, can I just buy a crossover cable and skip the router and just connect my pc directly to my gamecube? Thanks for your replies,

Caboose87

12. Mantine

Mantine Guest

Aww man are you serious? I have PSO 1+2 Plus I dont know where to find the original if it exists...

13. Caboose87

Caboose87 Guest

@ Mantine:

You can get it for 30 bucks here: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/223859.asp

As for myself, I just tried using so many different combinations of things... I'm just lost right now. I don't know what to do next. Nothing has worked for me. The only thing I have noticed is different times for it to it to get from the connecting screen (the one where you can move that star around) to the connecting to DNS screen, to the error screen (tells me that I couldn't connect). I really want to get this working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Caboose87

14. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

@Caboose87

I've always gotten better resuls with the crossover cable. Extra network equipment between the Gamecube and PC just adds extra overhead and more possible failure points.

@Mantine

It must not be the Plus or III version. Both of those were made after Nintendo became aware of the PSO exploit and have subsequently been patched to prevent this exploit from working.

15. Mantine

Mantine Guest

I see so I must get the original...

Any possibility of any store where they would swap plus for the original?

For example Toys R Us or EBGames that would take the trade?
    They are pretty close to my vicinity.

16. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Good luck finding the original. Not many were made and since the exploit wasn't discovered until after they stopped making them they've since become very rare. You could try eBay but I'd expect you'll have to pay $50+ U.S. for it.

17. Caboose87

Caboose87 Guest

Yeah! I got it to work. I was wondering though how long the loading will take? Because I have Super Mario Sunshine running right now it's at the memory card selection screen and it seems like it has frozen, but Ithink it may be loading? When I look at the echoing the dots stop moving. Also, if you want to buy PSO 1&2, look at one of my previous posts (2-3 posts back I think) and there is a link where you cna buy it.

18. MasterFF

MasterFF Member

I have version 1.0.0.30 of the riping server, does that make a difference? I actually have both versions but is one better than the other?

19. Caboose87

Caboose87 Guest

The latest version is usally the better one for anything.

20. Luckystar

Luckystar Member

Anyone can direct me to the correct thread number that let us play backups with modchips on Gamecube?
    I was like browsing like 10 page and didn't see the correct information i need.
    Or maybe can you make a thread for backups on Viper and Qoob modchips.That's would be nice.