1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a problem with my audio and video

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by nightmar3, Jan 22, 2006.

1. nightmar3

nightmar3 Member

This keeps on happening randomly happening on my windows xp (which makes me have to do a system restore a day before) Any video or audio played on any player will crash or eventually crashs. When I play vids and music on my windows media player it gives me an error report of an unknow error. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

These are questions that were asked on another forum and answered by myself.

1. What file types are you trying to play back? How are they compressed, and with what codecs? Do all file types behave the same?

avi, mpeg, wmv, every video I play crashes

2. Is the problem with files played from your hard drive, or streaming over the internet? Have you tried playing the files from a different hard drive (assuming you have more than one). If streaming, what browser are you using?

Both are crashing, either as a video on my harddrive or a video streaming online.

3. Have you changed anything since it last worked okay? Changed any settings? Used windows update? Downloaded any new codecs? Installed quicktime or some other media player?

No, I haven't changed anything

4. Is your computer infected with any form of virus or spyware etc? Do you have antivirus software, and antispyware software? Do you have a firewall?

I have Norton, Spybot, Spyware Guard, and Adaware

5. Do the files behave the same in all media players? Which ones do you use? Have you let any of these media players "auto-update" themselves?

It happens on all media players. Windows Media Player, Windows Classic

6. Does it crash the computer entirely, or just stop playing the file?

It stops playing (it doesn't even play at all) the file and gives me an error report and when I press ok it closes.

7. If a file plays for a while then crashes, what happens when you start playing it again? Does it start at all, or does it crash after some time? Does it always crash in the same place?

It doesn't crash in the same place, it just crashs before it plays.

8. Anything else which is probably worth telling us? soundcard? video card?

I have an Ati Radeon 9550 video card, I have a Realtek AC97 sound card

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

the fact that you havent changed anything to do with codecs could actually be the root of the problem.

download a good codec pack like KLcodec and see how things go from there