1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft illegal software detection in updates

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by beerlover, Jan 27, 2006.

1. beerlover

beerlover Member

I just heard a rumor that the new MS XP updates contain a program that scans your harddrive for illegal software (example dvd decrypter) and then auto removes it. Much like a virus scan but for illegal software.

Anyone else heard this?

2. umug

umug Regular member

Slightly exaggerated, it would possibly be illegal for Micro$oft to remove anything from your computer without your permission.

Plus is DVD Decrypter illegal to have on your computer anyway? (I installed it for research, I've never used it) ;)

However when updating at the Micro$oft site part of their update process includes checking your computer to see if your current software version of Windows is legal or not and in theory if it is hacked etc. all updates and patches could be refused to you.

[​IMG]

3. christ93

christ93 Regular member

Remove illegal software from MY machine. I dont think so. They do that to enough people, the $ony disaster is gonna seem like a fart in a tornado. I did read tho that if you do have a hacked version of Windows, you will be able to get security patches, but not get any of the free downloads(games and stuff). Thats what the Genuine Microsoft Advantage thing is all about.

As for DVDD being illegal, I guess that depends on how you read the DMCA.

4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

The Micro$oft update validater checks to see if you have a legal copy of Window$ installed, and if so you are allowed to update your windows operating system as well as other microsoft products through the update site. If your copy of windows is pirated or hacked, it will not allow you to update anything from that site. It doesn't remove anything from your computer, nor does it summon Agent Smith to your doorstep, just denies you the ability to update your microsoft product.

5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

who ever told you that about not being able to download up dates if your opperating system was a hacked version or not is full of gass and i meen the stinky kind i know at least 20 people that have hacked or unautherised copys of xp or whatever os so that is a bunch of bull

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thread teleported to relevant forum

7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

From where are they obtaining the updates? I have a friend who has XP and wants to update to service pack 2....

8. beerlover

beerlover Member

My friend came back from a computer convention and the discussion with his peers (which was news to him too) was that in the new Windows updates when you click "yes" you agree to the terms of use.......which nobody reads, barried in it, it says that you agree to allow them to this.

It could all be bull but these guys would know first. We're talking major comp dorks.

9. umug

umug Regular member

They may know computers but I still say BS.

I keep my system up to date, whenever Micro$oft release a patch I install it, and NOTHING has been removed, deleted, uninstalled, or auto removed by them in the process .......... and it never will happen, because it's BS.

[​IMG]

10. rav009

rav009 Active member

i sure hope it is bs umug.

11. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

It's just another bs internet rumour guys, if microsoft even tried this, they would get sued by so many people they'd still be busy schedulling the court cases in the year 2300 ;)

12. rav009

rav009 Active member

I hope so, thats good reasurance Daniel_G but it is posible though unlikely.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  13. umug

umug Regular member

I've been Googling and these rumours started in the year 2000 (and perhaps earlier), so it's not exactly up to date news anymore.

Here's one article of many I've found about updating which might be of interest.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000545.htm

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  14. rav009

rav009 Active member

Ok i think its safe to say its bs now.

15. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

That urban legend has some truth to it, microsoft does keep records of what programs you run on your pc (mru lists, anyone?) for whatever reasons.

16. christ93

christ93 Regular member

You got it Daniel. The mru's log all of the Most Recently Used files. MRUBlaster and CrapCleaner will get rid of them tho. I have MRU Blaster running every 15 minutes. MRUBlaster can be obtained here http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

17. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

I'll stick to cleaning them out by hand, or using Ad Aware SE to do it.

18. christ93

christ93 Regular member

Crap Cleaner can make short work of the MRU's as well. Windows is a bit sluggish after a reboot, but it cleans it out quick.

19. umug

umug Regular member

IMHO I don't think Micro$oft care about or keep records on your MRU's either.

If they did surely they wouldn't release public information on how to remove them.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=142298

20. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

Guess what? You might think they don't care much, but they do get the mru lists from your computer from time to time if you don't clean them out, and trust me, they use them, sometimes for good, but also for bad.
    (microsucks anti spyware vs msn plus, anyone?)

There might be some people here that are now wondering : how do they retrieve those lists without your consent?

The answer : it's actually very simple.

Whenever you send error reports, customer experience improvement reports (lots of people turn this on in msn/windows messenger because they have no idea), every time you get updates from live update, etc, your computer sends those mru lists to them.