1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAQ **Newbies Please Read Before Posting**

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Please read before posting...Your question may already be answered for you...here.

[bold]QU 1 - "How do I transfer music to iTunes?"[/bold]

To be able to play music on your iPod, you will have to import your music into the iTunes library. You can do this is one of three ways-

-[bold]Import tracks already ripped onto your PC. i.e downloaded from P2P networks such as Limewire[/bold]

To import songs of which you already have in a folder on your computer, you will have to locate your folder; (for P2P users, the folder in which your tracks are saved once they have finished downloading).

To add them to your iTunes library one at a time, go [bold]file[/bold]---> [bold]Add file to library[/bold], then locate the folder with your songs in. When you find the song you want to add, double-click it to add it to your library.

To add whole folders of music to the library, go file--->Add folder to library, then locate the folder. Once you have found the folder, click on it once, and hit [bold]OK[/bold] to add the contents of that folder to iTunes.

-[bold]Import tracks from CD[/bold]

It is more than likely you will want to add music from your CD collection to your library. Please read this part carefully, especially if you are fussy about the settings applied to ripping music.

Go [bold]Edit[/bold]---> [bold]Preferences[/bold] then hit the [bold]Advanced[/bold] tab, followed by the [bold]Importing [/bold]tab.

You will be met with a screen like this one.
    [​IMG]

[1]. [bold]You can choose whether you would like iTunes to[/bold]
    -Show songs (will just show you a list of the songs on the cd)
    -Begin Playing Songs
    -Import Songs (will add the files to your library automatically)
    -Import Songs & Eject (will add the files to your library automatically & eject upon completion)

Upon inserting the disc. Choose whichever one suits you best.

[2]. [bold]You can choose which format in which you would like your music to be imported. [/bold]
    -AAC
    -AIFF
    -Apple Lossless
    -MP3
    -WAV

.mp3 is probably the most popular way of importing your songs through iTunes..

[3]. [bold]You can change the settings for the music you wish to import here. [/bold]
    -If you wish to get a lot of music on to your iPod, and are happy enough with OK sound, then adjust them as suitable. However, if you thrive on top quality music, then I wouldn’t advise on using this built-in encoder to rip your music.

Instead, you should use the best music ripper in the world, [bold]Exact Audio Copy. [/bold]

Follow this link to find out how to get it and how to get ripping with it.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/mydeneaclame.cfm

[4]. [bold]”Play Songs while importing” [/bold]
    If you wish to hear your music as you rip it, check this box.

[5]. [bold]”Create File Names with track number”[/bold]
    If you want all your music correctly tagged with the name of the song, artist, album etc, then please check this box.

[6]. [bold]“Use Error Correction When Reading Audio CD’s”[/bold]
    This will scan through your audio CD thoroughly to make sure you have no errors on it. It is very uncommon to get errors on Audio CD’s, and this option drastically slows down importing speed. But if you wish for all your CD’s to face the scan, then check the box.

-[bold]Import tracks downloaded from the iTunes music store.[/bold]

Go [bold]Edit[/bold]--->[bold]Preferences[/bold] and then click on the [bold]store[/bold] tab.

You will be met with this screen
    [​IMG]

[1]. [bold]“Buy & Download Using ‘One Click’”[/bold]
    If you select this option, you can ‘snatch’ download your songs conveniently.

[2]. [bold]“Buy Using A ‘Shopping Cart’”[/bold]
    If you prefer the “shopping basket” method of purchasing online, then select this option. It basically means you can select a whole bunch of songs, add them to your virtual “basket” and then purchase them once you have selected all the ones you want.

[3]. [bold]“Automatically Create Playlists Whan Buying Song Collections”[/bold]
    If you check this box, then iTunes will automatically create a playlist called ‘[bold]purchased music[/bold]’. Uncheck this box if you do not wish to have a separate playlist for iTunes downloads.

[4]. [bold]“Play Songs After Downloading”[/bold]
    The caption on this option is pretty self-explanatory. If you want the songs to begin playing upon successful download completion, then check the box.

[5]. [bold]“Load Complete Preview Before Playing”[/bold]
    This is a handy option which allows you a partial preview of what you are downloading. It is played over a slow network, but it gives you a very strong audio replica of your song..

To actually be able to purchase from the iTunes music store, you need to set up an account, or have one set up for you. For more details, please look here: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/tutorial/segment102084b.html

[bold]QU 2 - "How do I transfer music to my iPod?"[/bold]

Firstly, connect your iPod to your computer via USB/firewire (high speed preferred).

Once you have hooked your iPod up to your PC, it should show up in the [bold]source menu[/bold], like so:
    [​IMG]

Next, click the iPod icon located at the bottom of iTunes
    [​IMG]

You will automatically be led to the [bold]music[/bold] tab in the[bold] iPod options window.[/bold] From here, you can adjust how & what you want your iPod to do upon connection to your PC.
    [​IMG]

[bold]Here is a run-through of the options.[/bold]

[1]. [bold]”Automatically Update All Songs & Playlists” [/bold]
    -If you activate this option, all of the songs on your iTunes will synchronize to your iPod, as soon as you connect.

[2]. [bold]”Automatically Update Selected Playlists Only” [/bold]
    -If you have playlists in your iTunes Library, you can opt to select any of those to update only. If you have playlists, they will be shown in a small box underneath this option. If you check any of those boxes, then those selected playlists will be updated only. If you don’t know how to make/use playlists, please skip to the [bold]“Creating & Using Playlists”[/bold] section.

[3]. [bold]”Manually Manage Songs & Playlists” [/bold]
    -If you don’t want all your songs to update when you connect, then you should select this option. It basically means that you will have to tell your iTunes to update your iPod manually. If you don’t know how to do this:

a). Upon connecting to your PC, right click on your iPod in the [bold]source menu[/bold].
    b). Then Click [bold]Update[/bold] to begin the transfer from iTunes to iPod.

[bold]note:[/bold] once the iPod has finished updating, you will also have to manually [bold]disconnect[/bold] your iPod in order to safely remove it. To do so, right click the iPod in the source menu once more & click [bold]Eject[/bold].

[4]. [bold]”Only Update Checked Songs” [/bold]
    [​IMG]

If you look at the above example, you will notice that iTunes allows you to [bold]check[/bold] and [bold]uncheck songs[/bold]. The song at the bottom is [bold]checked[/bold]. To check & uncheck songs, simply click in that small box. All songs checked whilst this option is selected will transfer to iPod when you update it .

[5]. [bold]”Open iTunes when this iPod is attached.”[/bold]
    This means that iTunes will boot up automatically when you connect your iPod to your PC. Check the box if you wish it to, uncheck it if you don't..

[6]. [bold]”Enable Disk Use” [/bold]
    This option allows your iPod to be used as a portable HDD. Another way you can use your iPod as a portable HDD is to put it into [bold]disk mode[/bold]. To put your iPod into disk mode, you should restart the iPod, then as soon as you see the Apple logo, let go, and then hold down the [bold]Fast Forward[/bold] and [bold]Rewind[/bold] buttons.

[7]. [bold]”Display album Artwork on your iPod”[/bold]
    Check the box if you wish to show album Artwork on your iPod.

To add album artwork to your music (in iTunes),

a). Right-click on a track (or tracks) and select [bold]Get Info.[/bold]
    b). Open the [bold]Artwork[/bold] tab.
    c). Click the [bold]Add[/bold] button.
    (then locate your photos, and you will now have artwork for that track)

[bold]QU 3 - "How do I transfer photos to my iPod?"[/bold]

- Connect your iPod up to you PC via USB/Firewire
    - Right click your iPod in the iTunes source menu, then click on [bold]iPod options[/bold]
    - Hit the [bold]Photos[/bold] tab.
    - Then, choose the folder from which you wish to sync your pictures.

[bold]QU 4 - "How do I put my videos/dvd's on the iPod 5g?"[/bold]

[1] Firstly, you need to convert the videos / DVD's to mp4/h.264. I have another guide dedicated solely to explaining the process.

It can be found here;
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/244629.

Once you have converted them, you need to import them.

Go [bold]File[/bold]==>[bold]Add File To Library[/bold]. Then locate your video, and click [bold]Open[/bold]. You should be able to play your Video in iTunes without any problems.

Now, to get it onto your iPod, Connect your iPod up to your computer, then, right click your iPod in the [bold]Source Menu[/bold] and click on [bold]iPod Options[/bold]. Click on the [bold]Video[/bold] tab. From here, select whether you want to Update all videos, or you can handpick the playlists you wish to sync to your iPod.

After that, just update it, and that's it. Job done.
    (Manual update; right click your iPod in the [bold]Source Menu[/bold] and click [bold]Update[/bold])

[bold]QU 5 - "I have lost my iPod software CD, what was on it, and where can I get the contents of it from?"[/bold]

Don't worry. The CD contains iTunes, and the Apple updater software, but they can both be downloaded direct from the Apple website;

Apple updater Software - http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/
    iTunes - http://www.apple.com/itunes/

[bold]QU 6 - "How Do I make a new playlist?"[/bold]

Go [bold]File[/bold]==>[bold]New Playlist[/bold].

To Rename your Playlist, double click on it in the [bold]Source Menu[/bold].

[bold]QU 7 - "What is Smart Playlisting? How do I Use it?"[/bold]

A Smart Playlist is a song list in iTunes which is updated automatically depending a set of rules (Rules that you can apply to it).

iTunes lets you organize your music library by creating Smart Playlists based on things like like `My Rating`, `Last Played`, `Keywords`, and `Play Count`.

Here is a link which will show you how to create a smart playlist
    http://www.smartplaylists.com/comments.php?id=P16_0_1_0

[bold]QU 8 - "What is a Podcast? How Do I Put Podcasts On My iPod?"[/bold]

A podcast is a web feed of audio or video files placed on the Internet for anyone to subscribe to. They are free, and you can easily subscibe to them through your iTunes;

To be able to subscribe to a podcast-

Click [bold]Podcasts[/bold] in the [bold]Source Menu[/bold]. (If you can't see the Podcasts in the source menu, you may have them disabled. if so, go [bold]Edit[/bold]===>[bold]Preferences[/bold], click on the [bold]Parental Control[/bold] tab, and uncheck the [bold]Disable Podcasts[/bold] box).

Now click on the [bold]Podcast Directory[/bold] (located in the bottom left-hand side of the iTunes interface.

You will be met with a screen like this.
    [​IMG]

The area I have highlighted in the top right-hand corner is the box you use to search for podcasts. The interface is very easy to navigate; Once you have found the podcast you want to download, just click
    [​IMG]
    [bold]Get Episode[/bold].

To unsubscribe from a podcast, click the [bold]unsubscribe[/bold] button in the bottom right-hand side in the [bold]Podcasts[/bold] Screen.

To adjust Podcast Settings and play podcasts on your iPod, go [bold]Edit[/bold]===>[bold]Preferences[/bold], and then hit the [bold]Podcasts[/bold] tab. Here you can adjust the specifics of when you check for new podcasts, how long you keep them for etc. Once you have done that, click on [bold]iPod Preferences[/bold]. Here you can choose whether you want to update your podcasts manually or automatically, and you can also specify which ones you wish to be updated.

[bold]QU 9 - "Are there any other places I can browse for podcasts, besides iTunes?"[/bold]

PodCast.Net is one I highly recommend. It is a great directory in a very well organized interface.

- http://www.podcast.net/

-Others to Try-
    Podcast Bunker - http://www.podcastbunker.com/
    Podcast Central - http://www.podcastcentral.com/
    Yahoo! Podcasts - http://podcasts.yahoo.com/
    Podcast Alley - http://www.podcastalley.com/
    iPodder.org - http://www.ipodder.org/
    The Podcast Network - http://www.thepodcastnetwork.com/

There are many others, if you search you can find them, but the above are the main ones.

[bold]QU 10 - "Is there any way I can change the themes/colours of my Photo/video iPod?"[/bold]

Yes there is. It is a fantastic little application which I highly recommend called iPod Wizard. The homepage of iPod Wizard is here,
    http://www.ipodwizard.net/cmps_index.php

And here is a tut on how to get started with it.. (Written by myself)..

[bold]INTRODUCTION[/bold]

iPod Wizard is a great program allowing you to change themes, fonts and graphics, and can be very rewarding as long as the process is done correctly. It allows you to modify the settings on iPod firmware using the Updater, and subequently implement them onto your iPod.

I am going to give a tutorial here showing clearly (whilst in detail) exactly how to change the [bold]graphics[/bold] on your iPod.

[bold]DISCLAIMER[/bold]

The methods I give in this tutorial are tried & tested by myself, and are safe to use providing they are followed correctly. The methods and techniques are not sanctioned by Apple, and could void your warranty. Follow these steps at your own risk!

[bold]THINGS YOU WILL NEED[/bold]

<1> A Colour iPod (iPod Nano, iPod 4th generation Photo, or iPod Video)
    <2> iPodWizard. The latest version is v1.2, and the download can be found through this link - http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153441
    <3> iPod Firmware/Updater. I recommend you guys use version 1.0, as it is the most stable. The download of iPod Updater 2005-11-17 v1.0 can be found here - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y44N4BER
    <4> iHack - http://www.ipodwizard.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3392&d=1127255814

[bold]NOW TO BEGIN..[/bold]

<1> Extract and load your iPodWizard Software.

<2> Click [bold]"Open Updater"[/bold]
    [​IMG]

<3> Load the iPod Updater that your just downloaded. I recommend v1.0 (2005-11-17), but it should work with any other Updater.

<4> Under the "Firmware" menu, select your model of iPod.
    [​IMG]
    Once you have done that, click "Load".

<5>
    (i) Click on the "Firmware Editor" tab, followed by the "Pictures" (ii) tab. You will now have an 'index' (iii) with a dropdown menu showing you each and every graphic that is written onto your iPod's firmware.
    [​IMG]

We can modify these graphics and write them to the Updater, and once we synchronize our iPod using the Updater, the modifications will appear on the iPod aswell.

[bold]CHANGING THE GRAPHICS[/bold]

There are a couple of methods you can use to modify the graphics.

You can [bold]manually edit[/bold] the bitmap images..

Select an image you would like to modify/replace from the drop-down menu, and click "Save Image" (Located to the right of the interface).

This will save a copy of the image in .bmp (bitmap) format to your HDD. Open the image with an image editing program such as [bold]Photoshop, Macromedia Fireworks[/bold], or even just the basic [bold]MS Paint[/bold] -- and edit the image to whatever you wish.

[​IMG]

Remember though, [bold]Don't change the image’s dimensions![/bold]. Once you have finished, save the modified file and use the iPodWizard "Load Image" function to replace the existing photo in the firmware image. Repeat this process with each graphic you wish to change.

Alternatively, you can load a whole group of bitmap images that have been prepared as a 'Theme'.

To get hold of themes for your particular iPod, the best source to look are the [bold]iPodWizard Themes forums[/bold] - http://www.ipodwizard.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Once you have downloaded a 'theme' (which will consist of a .zip/.rar file filled with bitmap images), then extract them into an empty folder. (Please be sure that the themes you download are created for your firmware version, as the order & number of graphics varies with each update).

Then, click on the "Load All" function in iPW, and load the folder in which you extracted the 'theme'.

[bold]WRITING YOUR THEME TO YOUR FIRMWARE[/bold]

Once you have finished tweaking with your bitmap images, you are almost finished. Click "Write" which is located at the very top in the center.
    [​IMG]

Once the confirmation that the changes you implemented were sucessfully written onto the updater, You can exit iPodWizard.

[bold]TRANSFERRING TO IPOD[/bold]

All you have left to do, is simply connect your iPod to your PC and use the "Restore" feature on the Updater to rewrite the firmware with the modified version.

However, if you don’t want to "Restore" your iPod (Which deletes all content), You will have to patch the Updater with [bold]iHack[/bold]

iHack will set the iPod’s firmware version a small amount below its current level before you run the iPod Software Updater, re-enabling the "Update" button. Open iHack (you will find it at C:/Program Files/iHack/ by default), and click the "Patch..." button while your iPod is connected to your PC and the [bold]disk mode[/bold] feature is enabled. Select your iPod’s drive letter, and iHack will do the rest. Now click the "Update" button, and you will have successfully changed the graphics on your iPod.

[bold]GALLERY[/bold]

This is the sort of thing your can expect to see upon modifying your theme..
    [​IMG]

This guide can be found in more detail here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/323431

If you've any questions on using iPodWizard, don't hesistate to post them in that forum ;-)

[bold]QU 11 - "How do I put AlbumArt on my songs?"[/bold]

Right click any song in iTunes, click [bold]Get Info[/bold], then click the [bold]Artwork[/bold] tab. If you click [bold]Add[/bold], then you can browse through your computer and locate the image you wish to apply as album art for that song.

To change Album art in batches (i.e, if you want to apply the album art for 'Michael Jackson, Essential', then you type that into the search bar). Then, once you have segregated the songs you want to apply the album art to from the rest of your music collection, Click on any one of the songs and then go [bold]Edit[/bold]===>[bold]Select all[/bold]. Then right-click on your highlighted songs and click [bold]Get Info[/bold]. Then simply drag your desired artwork into the [bold]Artwork[/bold] box, and click OK.

To make sure the Artwork displays on your iPod, go [bold]Edit[/bold]===>[bold]Preferences[/bold]===>[bold]iPod(tab)[/bold]===>[bold]Music(tab)[/bold], and make sure that the box that says [bold]Display Album Artwork On Your iPod[/bold] is checked.

[bold]QU 12 - "How do I reset My iPod?"[/bold]

Read this mini-tutorial on the Apple website which explains how to reset each and every version of iPod to date ;-)
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300595 (shuffle)

[bold]QU 13 - "How do I restore My iPod?"[/bold]

This Guide will show you how to restore your iPod on both Windows and Mac operating systems
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983
    (note that restoring your iPod erases all date and rolls the unit back to "factory state")

[bold]QU 14 - "How do I update my iPod software?"[/bold]

To update the firmware on your iPod, connect your iPod to your computer, open up your latest version of the iPod updater software, and once your iPod has initialized, click [bold]Update[/bold].

[bold]QU 15 - "How Can I copy songs from my iPod back to my iTunes/HDD?"[/bold]

Again, I have another tut dedicated to this. If you have any other suggestions or methods, please, feel free to post them in there :)
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/250743

[bold]QU 16 - "My iPod won't start up, whats wrong?"[/bold]

a) Check the hold switch and make sure that it's not on. If you have a remote control plugged into it, make sure that it's hold switch is off as well.
    b) Plug it into a power adapter to charge it. You may have a flat battery, hence the reason it's not booting up.
    c) If you can get the iPod to mount on your computer, restore it with the latest iPod Software Updater that works with your iPod model. ([bold]Start[/bold]--> [bold]All Programs[/bold]--> [bold]iPod[/bold]--> [bold]iPod Updater[/bold] by default).
    Once you have found located it and opened it, click `restore`.

Note that restoring your iPod erases all the data on it, so make sure you have a backup of the data on your iPod.

d) If the iPod won't mount on the computer or charge, you might need to drain the battery out. Stick it to one side until it is flat and then try charging it again.
    e) If all these fail, then your battery is most probably faulty or dead. iPods are notorious for their crappy battery performance, so you should contact Apple and get a new battery fitted. If you are under warranty or Applecare, then this should be free. Otherwise, it will cost you. ;)

[bold]QU 17 - "iPod doesn’t mount, show in iTunes, or in the updater (basically, it doesn’t show at all…). What's Up With that?"[/bold]

a) Make sure you are connected to a high-speed USB 2.0 port, or a FireWire port – the iPod won’t be recognized if it isn’t. For info on if and where your high speed ports are, take a look at your PC manual.
    b) Your iPod might be locked up. You can perform a soft reset by holding down the [bold]Menu[/bold] and [bold]Select[/bold] (middle button in the wheel) for 6 Secs until the Apple logo appears.
    c) If the iPod still won't boot up, reset it and then hold down [bold]Play[/bold] and [bold]Select[/bold] buttons on the to place the iPod in [bold]Disk Mode[/bold]. This forces the iPod to mount. If your iPod only boots up in disk mode, then restore it.

[bold]QU 18 - "The iPod displays a folder with an exclamation point when it starts, what do I do?"[/bold]

a) Charge your iPod, it may be out of power.
    b) Update the iPod with the latest version of the iPod Updater that's compatible with your iPod. An incompatible version of the software may have been installed on your iPod. If updating doesn't work, restore your iPod
    c) This symbol can also appear if the iPod's hard drive was formatted with an incompatible utility - for example, if you've partitioned it with a Windows or Mac disk utility. If you did this, restore your iPod with the iPod Updater .
    d) This symbol can also indicate a dead hard drive. If all else fails, contact Apple.

[bold]QU 19 - "The iPod displays a battery with an exclamation point what's wrong?"[/bold]

a) Charge the iPod.
    b) Be sure you're charging it from a working power source.
    c) Your iPod may be locked up. Try Resetting it..
    d) If your iPod won't charge even after your iPod has been plugged into a power source for a long time, try a different cable. A damaged cable may prevent the iPod from charging.
    e) The battery may be dead. Such a problem requires taking the iPod
    into Apple for repair. (they have notoriously crappy batteries, so you're not alone ;-)

[bold]QU 20 - "The iPod displays a picture of a power adapter and wall plug, what do I do next?"[/bold]

The iPod wants to be plugged into a power outlet and won't proceed until you do so. You see this icon after you've restored your iPod and the iPod needs to update its firmware. This occurs only when you've plugged your iPod into a USB port or un-powered FireWire port (the 4-pin variety of FireWire ports found on some PCs)

[bold]QU 21 - "I Can't get videos to transfer onto my iPod I keep getting error message - why not??"[/bold]

If you are met with warning screen with the message:

"Some of the videos in your iTunes library, inclucing the video '*name of video*' were not copied to your iPod because they cannot be played on this iPod"

then iTunes has detected that one or more of the videos being synced from your iTunes Library are not in the correct format to be played on iPod.

The formats that can be sucessfully played on the iPod 5g are as follows:

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320x240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats.

MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480x480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

To enable you to change your video's to these compatible formats, you will need to convert them.

As I mentioned earlier, have a look at my tutorial on converting your Video and/or DVD Collection to iPod.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/244629.
    (please post specific video questions in there)

[bold]QU 22 - "On My 5g iPod, all my Videos are categorized as 'Movies', is there any way I can change some of them to 'Music Video?"[/bold]

Yes, you can. By default, iTunes puts them in the 'Movies' category. So, to put some of them in the 'Music Video' Category, right click on the Video in the iTunes library, then go [bold]Get Info[/bold], then hit the [bold]Options[/bold] Tab, and then the second option down will be [bold]Video Kind[/bold] Click on that dropdown and change it to Music Video.

[bold]QU 23 - "How do I go about contacting Apple, for whatever reason?"[/bold]

Have a Look here for all of Apple's contact details.
    http://www.apple.com/contact/

[bold]QU 24 - "How do I change the tag information on my music/videos?"[/bold]

All you have to do, is right click on the desired song, ad click on [bold]Get Info[/bold]. Click on the [bold]Info[/bold] Tab and you will be able to edit;

- [bold]Name[/bold] of the song
    - [bold]Artist[/bold]
    - [bold]Album[/bold]
    - [bold]Grouping[/bold]
    - [bold]Composer[/bold]
    - [bold]Comments[/bold]
    - [bold]Genre[/bold]
    - [bold]Year[/bold]
    - [bold]Track No.[/bold]
    - [bold]Disc No.[/bold]
    - And [bold]BPM[/bold]

In my opinion, however, the best tagging program out there is the highly-spoken-of [bold]Tag&Rename[/bold].

It is an extremely handy proggy used to manage the info of your media files. With it you can quickly and easily rename your music collection using the embedded tag data, write new or edit existing tag information, create tags based on file names & get songs information from the likes of freedb & amazon.com servers.

You have to purchase this software to use it fully, but you get a limited free trial allowing you to sample it..

http://www.download.com/Tag-Rename/3000-2141_4-10303224.html

[bold]QU 25 - "I have converted my video into mp4 with a 3rd party application, but It won't import to iTunes. What Now?"[/bold]

This is a common problem asked in here. Try reducing the filename of the video to something short (i.e <10 Letters). Then it will import.

(You can always rename the video to it's previous name once you have imported it).

[bold]QU 26 - "How Do I rename My iPod?"[/bold]

Connect your iPod to your computer. Open [bold]My Computer[/bold] Right click on the iPod hard drive icon, select [bold]Properties[/bold] and then type in the name like you would like for the hard drive.

[bold]QU 27 - "How Do I downgrade my iPod's firmware from Version 1.1 to version 1.0?"[/bold]

The iPod Updater [bold]2006-01-10[/bold] has served us up some real problems. The most notable being video playback issues with videos transcoded with third-party applications.

To remedy this problem, you will need to downgrade your iPod to version 1.0 (Updater 2005-11-17). To do so, you need to follow this guide..
    http://www.ipodhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813

[bold]QU 28 - "How do I put flash movies onto my iPod?"[/bold]

[bold]dkmopq[/bold] has made a great guide dedicated to this topic, which can be found here..
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/310866

[bold]QU 29 - "I have seen a lot of great 'Video to iPod' guides for Windows, but what about Mac.. Are there any guides / programs?"[/bold]

Yes there is. [bold]thelox714[/bold] has made a great guide for Mac users. It will show you how to transfer DVD's/Videos to your iPod using [bold]Handbrake[/bold]. The guide can be found here.. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/298308

All technical issues with this program should be posted in that thread.

[bold]QU 30 - "How Do I run multiple iPods on the same iTunes"[/bold]

This one has been asked many a time, so here goes.

To be able to do this, all you have to do is set iTunes to update each iPod with only certain playlists. They you can put the one iPod's music in one, one in another, and so on..

Once you have created a playlist and filled it with music you wish to add to a particular iPod, then in [bold]iPod Options[/bold], set your iPod to only update that particlar playlist..

[​IMG]

[bold]QU 31 - "How Do I prevent my iPod from auto-syncing when I connect it to my computer?"[/bold]

Upon connecting your iPod to your PC, press & hold [bold]Shift[/bold] + [bold]Ctrl[/bold]. This will stop the iPod from auto synchronizing and your iPod will appear in the source list. [This process will atke anything between 3 and 30 seconds depending on the performance of your PC.

Then you can right click on the iPod icon in the [bold]Source Menu[/bold] and select [bold]iPod Options[/bold], then check the [bold]Manually manage songs and playlists[/bold] box. You can now manage your library without losing any songs on the iPod. :)

[bold]Q32 - "I can't fit as many songs onto my iPod as Apple claim -- why is this?"[/bold]

The number of music files you will be able to fit on your iPod depends on three things.

- Mostly, it will depend on the average track length of your MP3s and on the bitrate at which they are encoded. It may also depend on if your MP3s/AACs are encoded CBR (constant bitrate) or VBR (variable bitrate). Generally, VBR MP3s will be smaller than CBR MP3s.

The number of MP3s that Apple quotes as fitting on each model iPod are based on the following assumptions: 128 Kbps CBR encoded AACs with an average track length of four minutes each. So if you want to fit the stated number of songs onto your iPod, then they will have to be of that description.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.