1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i make this faster?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by rav009, Jan 29, 2006.

1. rav009

rav009 Active member

Ok well im happy with the performance of my secondary pc i have 640 ram and a 1.5ghz Intel, on a xp sp2 all works well and fast but theres one thing thats confusing me.

I helped my friend build a pc thats similer spec's as mine but his is a 512 on a 1.3ghz amd it seems to be a bit faster,i thought that intel procesors where faster?, well anyway my friend mentioned a progarm free ram booster xp or somthing like that and seems to do the trick but i havent used it.

Physical memory

Total 656640
    Availible 261508
    system cache 363772

is there a way i could boost this :) ??

you know i just realised that i put some on my thread a while back,
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292257
    (reg optimizers etc)

could theese help?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

if your system has onboard graphics you can boost its performance by getting a graphics card.

As for Intel being faster than AMD... well thats an ongoing debate and as it stands at the moment most would agree that AMD is faster than Intel.

You could try using that ram freeing program as the more memory you have available the faster your pc should run so give it a try

3. rav009

rav009 Active member

yeh ill give that a go tonight.

4. darksanta

darksanta Guest

AMD is faster then Intel, but it doesn't processes as much information at once then Intel. So if you want a faster computer, go with AMD. If you want a computer that could do more at once, go with Intel.

For the RAM, 512 mb is good enough. If you go higher then that, you won't notice a difference, unless you play highend games, like FEAR, Doom 3, or HL2.

The best way to make your computer faster without getting a major hardware upgrade is overclocking. some computers allow you some doesn't. it depends on what BIOS you have. What overclocking is making your go faster then it usally is. but don't go overboard because if you make it work too hard, then the pc would over heat, and some parts would explode. (if you don't beleave me, go on this site and see it yourself http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5393904704265757054)

to overclock your computer, you have to go in your BIOS, you go on it by starting upyour computer, and at the booter, there is a sentince saying "press (button) to start setup" or something like that, it is different butoon for different BIOS. this is where you could change pc settings, including hardware settings if your luckey.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2006
  5. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

while overclocking can help increase the performance of the system it can seriuosly reduce system stability, it can cause errors which prevent your system from booting and it can fry your processor.

dont even attempt overclocking unless you have some expensive low latency ram, a high powered efficient after market cooler and a decent motherboard (you can blow cheap motherboards by overclocking)

6. rav009

rav009 Active member

Yep i have all of thoose that youve just said but i dont think i'll try it, id prefer to use a program like free ram, witch i still havent gotten round to trying.

7. rav009

rav009 Active member

Nah i think ill stick with this one and maybe build a new one in the near future.

The only reason i made this thread was to ask if there is anyway i could boost the performance, i think ill try free ram soon, has any one used it and has any views on it?

8. rav009

rav009 Active member

Ok obviosly you havet done it before, you get the parts you put them where they go and wire it up..thats about it.

i have a good friend who builds them who will give me a hand anyway.

9. rav009

rav009 Active member

Ok anyone here will tell you its better to build your own rather than buying a assembled one as when you buy a assembled pc the company dont expect you to open it up and its rather hard to get parts for it, so if it (and it will) mess's up your in struggle in repairing it.