1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

software question

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by antonio11, Feb 3, 2006.

1. antonio11

antonio11 Regular member

anyone knows of a good software that would block all the crap that installs itself on the pc without asking if you want to install it

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

The best way is to create a separate user account with limited access and only log on with an account with administrator rights when you have to do something that requires that level of access, like installing software. That's standard practice on Unix/Linux systems. That's how I have my kids PCs set up, they have limited accounts and can't access the registry or install software. The only problem is that some Windows software refuses to run without administrator access even though it really doesn't need it. You would have to try and and see if there is anything you use that would have problems.

The second suggestion is to run a firewall and virus software and keep current with updates and patches. I also run Opera for browsing and Eudora for email and have way less problems than people running IE and Outlook since much malware is targeted at those rather than the alternatives.

3. antonio11

antonio11 Regular member

what about something that cleans spyware