1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2800+ and Biostar M7VIZ, am I screwed? HELP.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ogrehorde, Feb 3, 2006.

1. ogrehorde

ogrehorde Member

I got a Biostar M7VIZ, and tried putting my new 2800+ on it, but the bios displays it at 800mhz. I have set my mobo manually to use 133 FBS which you have to do manually with the M7VIZ, and still my chip is clocking in nowhere close to where it should. This bios has no way of adjusting multiplier value, or volts...or anything else that involves changing anything with the chip. Only a way to adjust the clock speed which is currently set at 133, and says: "minimal 133 maximal 166". Weird.

Essentially my problem is it's set to 6x multiplier and it should be around 16x. I've ran CrystalCPUID and it displays my original as:

internal clock: 2133.33 mhz
    system clock: 133.33 mhz
    system bus: 266.67
    multiplier: 16.00

And my current as:

internal clock: 796 mhz
    system clock: 132.79 mhz
    system bus: 265.58
    multiplier: 6.00

So...what I want to know is this: no matter what I do it will be set at 6x multiplier? Theres no way for me to adjust it? This mother board which I believe supports well over 3000+ is always bound to 6x multiplier? What the heck? surely theres a way to change it.

I've tried both CrystalCPUID and CPUMSR to adjust the multiplier, and both of them look like they actually make the chnages at first, because I can change the multiplier with either of them to 16x and it shows up as around a 2200 in both. However, I don't believe they're truly making the changes because not only does XP show it as a 796 mhz after I change the multiplier, but it also chnages back as soon as I restart or shut down my computer. If I'm doing something wrong here some help would be appreciated.

Help on how (or IF) I can change my multiplier would be greatly appreciated.

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I have the M7VIG motherboard on another system, and your's just like that one, has a set of jumpers that need to be configured in order for the BIOS to know what frequency to set for the CPU. In this case, it's a block set right next to your RAM slots near the edge of the board. It's called JCLK1. For a FSB setting of 133mhz (266FSB CPU), make sure there are no jumpers being used...all of the pins should be in the "open" state.

Online Manual
    ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/manuals/M7VIZ/M7VIZmanual.pdf

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006