1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is There A Way To Reduce Dvd Encoding Time?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Toon1Army, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Toon1Army

Toon1Army Member

i have just finished converting a 800mb movie to dvd, it took 1 hour 3o mins, is there a way that i can reduce the encoding time to 30 mins or just under 1 hour? the specification of my computer are below. it might just be a case of an upgrade but if that is the case what part of the computer would i need to upgrade to increase speed when it comes to dvd encoding? how about if i upgraded the hard drive to a raptor giving me RPM speeds of 10.000 maybe that might cut encoding times by half? cpu? hard drive? memory? software i don’t think there would be any point getting a better cpu as my motherboard can only take up to a 3.4 and i don’t think a 600mhz increase from 2.8 too 3.4 will reduce the encoding times by much.. any answer would help me thank you

2. ireland

ireland Active member

it made a big difference in rip time when i updated from a 2.4 to a 3.4,also check for a bias upgrade for ye system.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  3. Toon1Army

Toon1Army Member

almost forgot......

my spec is

2.8ghz p4 1mb cache 800fsb

drr 400 1gb ram

160gb Samsung spin point ide

msi motherboard (has over clocking features ...over clocked my cpu to 3.2 GHz and there wasn’t much of a difference in encoding speed)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    hi Ireland,

u say that you upgraded from a 2.4 to a 3,4... that’s a 900mhz increase so u would see a change...i think that your times when encoding a dvd are the same as mine

remember im trying to cut hours into minutes? say 45 mins to encode a 800mb movie to dvd. possible?

4. ireland

ireland Active member

blow ye mine time,
    its takes me 8 to 21 min to rip a movie and 8 min using a 8x disk..to burn.using clonedvd and anydvd.and my system drive is a western 7200 rpm..

p/s i just done a movie that total size was 7.93gb 24 min to rip and 8.2 min to burn.
    p4 3.4gh 4g ram and its not over clocked..

5. shawn3905

shawn3905 Guest

This may be a silly question but do you have alot of background stuff running? When I back up I go into task manager and stop anything that doesn't need to be running.... makes a big difference in my time.

good luck

6. ireland

ireland Active member

i will make it easy on ye,
    End It all Utility
    SHUTS DOWN PROGRAMS THAT RUN IN THE BACK GROUND,LIKE MSCONFIG
    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Reviews/r91.html

also check ye dma setting in device mgr.

Checking and setting the DMA settings is an important part of configuring PC for recording DVDs.
    From Microsoft:
    "Basically, DMA or Direct Memory Access is a system that allows devices in your computer to transfer data directly to and from RAM without having to use the CPU as an intermediary. This boosts the performance of your PC significantly as not only the device from which the data is being read responds quickly, but also leaves the most important component, the CPU, free for other critical operations. However, the UDMA or the Ultra direct memory access is further advancement over the DMA technology that uses even higher data transfer rate thereby boosting the overall performance of the PC.
    For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.
    In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device.
    Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).
    If the mini-IDE driver for the device does not support stepping down transfer modes, or if the device is running UDMA mode 0, Windows XP will step down to PIO mode after encountering six or more CRC errors. In this case, a system reboot should restore the original DMA mode settings.

All CRC and timeout errors are logged in the system event log. These types of errors could be caused by improper mounting or improper cabling (for example, 40-pin instead of 80-pin cable). Or such errors could indicate imminent hardware failure, for example, in a hard drive or chipset.

GO HERE TO THE WEB SITE AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/dvdguide005.html

Sometimes the DMA/PIO mode "sticks" and won't change when you try to select DMA.
    You can delete the secondary channel IDE controller from Control Panel. Then reboot your system and the system will reinstall the controller when you reboot. This often fixes this problem.

7. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

Toon1Army,
    From a gooner :)
    I have pretty much the same system and can tell you that it shouldn't take you that long, raptor or not, I do have a raptor btw. I guess you should check for what's running in the background, clean up your system a bit and defrag. A lean machine is a mean machine :)Overclocking will help also. DMA settings was already suggested so check on that too.
    Just my 2c.

8. Toon1Army

Toon1Army Member

This is too all that replied...

in my task manager there are 68 processes running however not 1 of the 68 processes are using my cpu. under the cpu category the digits are displayed as 00 meaning my cpu is not being used by what’s in the background. i downloaded end it all but it’s a tricky and powerful program to use there are processes that i can not end and other processes that are not known to me. the dma has already been done 4 days ago still no change in encoding time. my computer was formatted only a week back and has been cleaned and defragged with Norton system works 2006 but yet the encoding time shows no change.

i did a test on a laptop awhile back i installed Nero 7 and converted a video file into dvd, the whole process took 5 hours and 5 cups of coffe, the hard drive i was using at the time was 4200rpm speed, 2 days later i bought a laptop hard drive at 5200rpm speed and went through the whole encoding process once again, it took 3 hours this time knocking of a FAT 2 hours of the encoding time so maybe its more to do with hardware than tweaks.