1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temp Drive

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Jay05, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I just want to know a little bit about the temp drive? How does it function and how do you clean it out? is it automatic? Where is it on my hard drive? And what's it used for and how is it cleaned out in my hard drive?

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

temp is a folder that stores files temporarily, i.e if you were encoding an mp3 the file would be temporarily stored in the temp folder. to clear the temp folder go to start > all programs > accessories > system tools > disk clean up

run the disc clean up on your primary hard drive (the one that windows is installed on) and it will give you the option to clear your temporary files as well as your temporary internet files and a few other space saving options

3. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

Do you by any chance mean a ram drive ?

4. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Is there a diff btw temp folder and temp drive?

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

There is a difference !

The O/S has in the REGISTRY a key to direct the Temporary Internet folder (TIF) to be on a drive -- normally where you have installed the O/S.

Various applications sometimes do need a temporary folder to function while they are running -- Example is CloneDVD2, Nero... and many others. That folder is totally independant then the TIF.

=========================

It is beneficial for one to move the TIF when your drive which holds the O/S is small and is getting congested -- In order to do that you can follow this procedure :-

To redirect the Temporary Internet Files (TIF) location to a different drive, follow these steps:

‡ Save and close all running applications
    • Create a folder in the destination drive (say E:\Temporary Internet Files)
    • Click Start, Run and type CONTROL INETCPL.CPL

‡ In the Temporary Internet Files section, click Settings
    • Click Move Folder button and browse to the target folder
    • Click OK
    • Click Yes, when you see the prompt
    "Windows will log you off to finish moving Temporary Internet Files. Do you want to continue ?"

Windows will now copy all the Cookies, temporary internet files to the destination folder and log you off. Log back in for the changes to take effect.

Have a great day !

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2006
  6. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

thanx~