1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hcenc 0.17 released!!

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by L8ter, Feb 6, 2006.

1. L8ter

L8ter Guest

Here is the newest release of hank 315's brainchild!

http://www.bitburners.com/HC_Encoder/

I have just given it a test spin and it's worthy of the update!

wondering if this will be incorporated into the next release of dvd-rb?

here is a changelog

HCgui and HCenc 0.17 - release date 04-02-2006
    - more options for CQ encoding
    - added gop, frames and chapter command as parameters for HCenc
    - create a chapter list based on scene changes
    - frame count starts at 0
    - GUI bug fixes
    - frame serving bug fixed
    - memory error bug fixed
    looks like the majority of the changes are for better use of it's new stand-alone gui!

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thanks L8ter, I rarely use hc but I like to keep it up to date none the less.

3. ebega

ebega Regular member

Please forgive my newbie questions ahead of time, but I'm still getting used to RB/HC. I've installed with RB installer which came with HC 0.15. The only thing I changed in the RB .ini file was the targetsector size and the path name to HC 0.16 and now to 0.17. My question is: Should I be using the .ini file that came with the HC updates? Basically what I am doing is making a separate folder titled HC_017 and extracting all 0.17 files into it, including the .ini file and calling the encoder from this file. Is this correct to do, or should I copy/paste the 0.15 .ini file into the 0.17 file? Sorry if this is confusing in any way, but just to clear things up, I'm not confusing the RB .ini file with the HC .ini file, I'm leaving the RB .ini untouched other than the previously mentioned changes. Thanks in advance.

4. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Just point to the HC_017 executable in RB settings. Make sure to point to the batch file and not the GUI. No other changes are necessary. The target sector size in the RB ini applies to ALL encoders...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  5. L8ter

L8ter Guest

the hc ini file will load parameters to hc only when using the gui(standalone) this is good for encoding demuxed avi's!

as teflonmyksaid as long as youare pointing rebuilder @ hcbatch instead and [bold]not[/bold] the gui hc's infile will not be used by rebuilder!

good luck!

@ mort the next time you encode a large ie >8.5 gb movie givve it a try then compare to cce (of course the time will still be an issue)

btw have you set-up 1.07 yet and is your pc multi threaded??

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

L8ter,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean a large file such as 7.5 gb compressed to fit on a dvd5 or one of those adventures I make when I compress a folder such as 14.0 gb to fit on a dvd9?

I've installed the update but I screwed up when I was building my pc and ordered the wrong cpu. Mine doesn't have hyper threading. I don't think it makes a lot of difference in most situations. I won't be able to take advantage of some of the new features in the new version.

Someday when an unknown relative dies and leaves me bookoo (sp?) money I'll get a dual core cpu. I think I'll go with AMD next time.

7. ebega

ebega Regular member

Thanks for clearing this up for me, I truly appreciate all the help.

8. L8ter

L8ter Guest

I know you love to exp so I figured this is when hc closes the gap according to cce fans but this is also when one would enjoy the time difference as well!

what I actually was reffereng to was a low bitrate scenario since I know not the compression involved in the dvd9 trials I cannot say!
    but take a >8gb file to 4.32 to see a good comparison of hc's quality!

I'm getting speeds closer to cce 3pass w/ the multiple instances of hc running 2pass!

I think I just may stick to intel for the time being when I get around to purchasing a mobo cpu combo I may just go 930 as I can see it's clocking well above 5ghz without wc. somebodies got to play devils advocate :)

9. snoland

snoland Regular member

Excuse my stupidity here, but I have a question. I have been backing up and authoring my own DVD's for quite a while, but just decided to try the DVD-RB. I downloaded the free, with the installer that included the HC .15 I am now seeing that the .17 is released, but can't figure out where the source path is. If I open up the setup under options, I can see the paths to CCE, Rejig, QuEnc, ProCoder, Decoder, and Decomb. I am not finding the path to the Hc. What do I need to change to use the .17? I feel stupid enough, so guys be easy.
    On a side note, I am liking the software and will most likely buy the pro version.

Thanks in advance,
    Shawn

10. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

You have the free version which doesn't officially support HC. All you have to do though is point to the HC executable in any of the other encoders' application path field. Then just use that encoder's mode to encode with HC...

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You can do as teflonmyk suggested or start with a fresh dvd-rb download and install. There's a link to the installer version 0.96 in my sig. You need to install hcenc 0.17 in the dvd-rb encoders folder.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  12. L8ter

L8ter Guest

mort is right in .96 hc is supported and is included but you will have to update to hc 0.17 yourself you will get hc0.15 in the installer!

nest you'll have to open set-up via=> [bold]options, set-up and next to quenc browse for your copy of hc 0.17[/bold]

don't worry imo you'll never miss quenc!

you can select your mode through mode menu be not in a hurry though just choose high quality!

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

L8ter,

I encoded a 7.71 gb folder with hcenc 0.17 and have got to admit the video quality is very good. The bad thing is it took 7 hours. I was going to compare the same folder encoded with cce sp at 3 passes but when I updated rb with the new version it cleared out all my paths in the setup window and I had to do a fresh install of rb and can't get cce sp to work ever since. Cce basic still works fine and I will compare hcenc 0.17 to it at 2 passes. I may pm you if I can't figure out what is going on with rb and cce sp.

14. L8ter

L8ter Guest

7hrs?? is this consistant w/ all your times w/ hc? it takes me sometimes ~3.5hrs and w/ the multple encodes I'm getting closer to 100-130 min times!

jdobbs put in the changelog that this feature could actually slow some p.c.'s?!?!

btw what ver. of ccesp r u using?

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

It took cce basic almost 4 hrs to encode the same folder. This particular folder has angle and interleaving. The norm for my setup for cce basic on a 6.5 - 7 gb folder is between 2 and 2 1/2 hours.

I figured out my problem with cce sp. I have sp v2.67. I'm running the same folder through it now at 3 passes.

16. hallway

hallway Member

The latest version of DVD-RB now supports, and includes, HC 0.17.

As for using newer versions of HC with the free version of DVD-RB, I thought the suggested (by jdobbs) method was to replace the .exe and/or .bat files in the 'HC Encoder' folder. Seems like there is no such folder in the free version though from what others are saying.

17. ebega

ebega Regular member

There is an HC folder in the free version, it is in the folder "encoders". The problem with replacing the .exe file is that the file name is a little different for each version. This of course is easily remedied by changing the name of the new .exe to match the replaced .exe file or by changing the path in the RB .ini file.

18. L8ter

L8ter Guest

the renaming should not be necessary w/ the free version!

the pro version will verify that hc is an original version of hc when selecting the path, but since there is no path for hc and you are using quenc which doesn't have those checks in place you will not need to rename the file extension to .exe

I can simply select hc any version through free ware I keep a copy on hand just for these purposes!

19. snoland

snoland Regular member

I renamed the new file so that it matched the old one, then renamed the old and saved it just in case. Seems to have worked. I could just do a new install, but I am considering the pro anyways.

Thanks...........

20. L8ter

L8ter Guest

what file are you renaming and why? I'm guessing I don't understand!