1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30GB serious problem

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by mmalyszko, Feb 21, 2006.

1. jonhech

jonhech Member

Ivo Silva and the Othes,

Thanks for your assistance. I was able to get my player up and running, although now without anymore contents (something I've already accepted).

Now it's time to rebuild. However, I tried connecting it to my pc and although it can detect the hardware, when I open the Creative Mediasource application, it doesn't recognize it like before.

What should I do?

Jon

2. Morder

Morder Guest

I have tried everything, nothing seems to work. I hate Creative, this was a great product until I ran into a problem and they completely abandoned me.

3. jonhech

jonhech Member

Ok, I answered my own question. All I had to do was to install all the necessary software updates (applications and plug-ins). However, while transferring some files, the hard disk suddenly jammed. Any ideas on how to solve this?

I read in an old thread before to give it 2 hard whacks on the side...apparently it didn't work this time.

Help, please.

4. eclipse78

eclipse78 Member

ive been having similar problems with my jukebox... for some reason my come wont recognize it unless i have windows media format 11 runtime installed (which requires service pack 2... i dont like sp2 cause it kill my internet speed) also none of th creative drivers work with my firmware (2.10.03) is there a way to rollback the firmware?

5. puncoso

puncoso Guest

6. puncoso

puncoso Guest

7. moekyaw

moekyaw Member

Dear mate My mp3 player generic brand it is not working properly 1 months after i bought.So I format that player . How to get that driver to work mp3 player?

8. cander71

cander71 Member

I had the problem of the player getting stuck on the EAX logo and not doing a damn thing. I checked this forum to remind me how to get to rescue mode and did a cleanup. To save you the trouble of searching- hold the play button while using a pushpin to reset, holding the play button until it gets to Rescue Mode. Anyways, cleanup took about 30 minutes or so (60gb, almost 90% used). When done, selected reboot and then it ran through and rebuilt the library. Worked fine after that.

9. brandon79

brandon79 Guest

I want to do this too.. the original firmware worked this way... I wish I could downgrade. Think I could probably transfer files and save games to my PS2..

anybody know how to downgrade the firmware?

10. soniclax3

soniclax3 Guest

my nomad jukebox zen Xtra wont even charge...is it the battery or is it the mp3...is there some way i culd fix the battery

11. random776

random776 Member

ok so i got the updater to respond to the player and all goes smoothly for the most part but than............ it goes through about 90% of the update, reboots the player (it remains at the EAX screen) and doesn't do anything after that, and i left it running for more than 2 hours still nothing. what could i have done wrong?

12. nomad78

nomad78 Member

My Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30g screwed up somehow tonight. I was deleting songs on it and on the last one it just croked. Then it would do the same thing as others mentioned here. I'd turn it on and it would act like it's booting up but just freezes on the loading screen with the background light on.

I found the procedures for recovering from this and saving all the data on the website below. It gets you to the Rescue Mode menu.

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=4794

Expand the "Zen series of players" tab if you have the same model as me.

Note: If I remember correctly the unit came on when I pluged in the AC cord. I just waited for it to finish booting up, at which point it froze up, and continued with the directions.

When the Rescue Mode came up I first hit Clean Up, then Reboot.

BTW I've had mine for about 3.5 years and this isn't the first time something like this has happened. But everytime so far it's miraculously come back from the dead.

Also, I'm working on making a solar charger for it. The 4.8V, 3" x 3.7" panel ought to be able to fit on the back side of it. Not sure if I want it permanently attached though.

13. zappa54

zappa54 Member

Hi,
    I have a Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra. I've been through most of the problems I have read about and have found usefull information on the creative support site. The one thing I was unable to find was how to get the Zen Xtra to restart. It failed to complete the firmware update for play for sure. It froze around 80%. The Message on the computer screen said Updating Firmware Please Wait. After a while I looked at the ZEN display and it showed the link image but no animation of transfer. I listened to see if the hard drive was running and there was no sign of activity. None of the function buttons would work so I hit the reset. The screen went black and the unit would no longer power up or reset to get to restore menu. It was fully charged and connected to USB and AC Power but no signs of life. Its out of warranty and creative won't help. I think they should because it was their software that killed my perfectly working Zen. Anyone have any Ideas of how I might breathe some life back into this unit so I can try once again to reload firnware.

14. hashpoque

hashpoque Member

Hello zappa54!

Exactly the same happened to my Zen Xtra.
    "
    It failed to complete the firmware update for play for sure. It froze around 80%. The Message on the computer screen said Updating Firmware Please Wait. After a while I looked at the ZEN display and it showed the link image but no animation of transfer. I listened to see if the hard drive was running and there was no sign of activity. None of the function buttons would work so I hit the reset. The screen went black and the unit would no longer power up or reset to get to restore menu. It was fully charged and connected to USB and AC Power but no signs of life."

what's the solution?

15. Jahon_K

Jahon_K Member

OK. I created an account only to post here. I've observed you all have the same problem as I do.

Those ones who solved it by installing the new software updates are happy.

But I want something very specific: I want to downgrade the PlayForSure firmware to the previous one. I don't want to make PlayForSure work. I already know how to do that.

I already have WMP9 running on my XPpro PC. I have my original CREATIVE NOMAD Jukebox Zen Xtra CD with the original software.

In creative.com, they say there's NO WAY AT ALL to rollback to the old firmware. I assume that's a market issue that isn't convenient for them. That's why I'm posting. I need to HACK it. And by "hack", I mean illegal, warranty violating, computer genious geek programming.

It's NOT enough to replace the HD, as the firmware isn't installed on it. The firmware is installed on the NOMAD itself, I don't know how to call it, but I think it's the ROM, the root memory with the setup menu and all that.

I've read ALL this thread and many other forums and there's no single site that have answered my question yet. Read those befor answering me.

Best regards and long life to the one who really can help me out.

Jahon Karpsen.

16. coachop

coachop Member

The only way to go back would be to change the motherboard to one that doesn't have the PFS firmware on it.The ROM is the chip on the board.

17. Jahon_K

Jahon_K Member

And where do you think I can buy a new ROM?, would it be possible to phisically unatach the current ROM chip from the motherboard and simply atach a new one and install the first firmware, that which I want for my Xtra?

I'm even daring to do that, if possible. Thanks for your answer

18. coachop

coachop Member

Buy one off Ebay that has a bad hardrive & use that board just confirm before purchase that the firmware was not updated to PFS.

19. megaman5

megaman5 Member

If you are having any problems, know that YOU MUST HAVE WINDOWS MEDIA 10 installed as it is the one with the driver to get your firmware to flash!!!

20. Mez

Mez Active member

Try using Media Monkey to sync. It is more careful than you are. Sometimes it does not delete all the tunes it should in the first sync but it gets them by the second. The free version is pretty nice.

Some other advice, if your player is working fine why upgrade? Only upgrade if it is not working. WHY? Every now and then ALL the compaines including Apple and M$ have put out killer versions. If you did the wrong thing they are toast! A third of all Zunes were wiped out by an early killer version. That is why they never made it. They killed their customer base and word of mouth killed them. M$ should have offered to replace all the ruined players and the Zune might be still viable. Apple put out a killer version this year.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009