1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod Modding Tutorials

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

I'm still kind of confused on how to put in already-created themes. I open the folder to it in iPod Wizard and the theme is not in the folder. Do you know why? Thanks!

Also, what firmware is the Red Tribal meant for? (the one that you posted in the original post) This is the one that I want to import onto my iPod, and I have already downloaded it.

-edit-

I did the one that's supposed to give you the percentage on the battery and it's all screwed up. The percentage isn't there, and none of the things such as the windows logos are there either. It looks like it just place random objects in random places almost. I don't know why. I restored it and everything (I chose to restore it rather than use iHack) and still, nothing. I even tried iHack and that kept it the same. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2006
  2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

OK jazo, lets get you started with this..

Enter the iPW forums, particularly the 5g theme forums
    ( http://www.ipodwizard.net/forumdisplay.php?f=94 )

Pick a theme that will work with your version of firmware (Most of the themes are labelled with the Updater they should be used with)

Then download the theme.

You will now have a .zip or .rar file containing X amount of bitmap images. Extract the archive using winzip or winrar, and then you will have a folder (a normal folder) which should subsequently contain your bitmap images. If, upon extraction, you have a whole bunch of loose bitmaps, then simply create a folder, and place them in there.

Then, in iPW, select 'load all', and locate the folder filled with bitmap images. This will change the graphics on your Updater to the modified ones. Click 'Write', and then restore/update your iPod.

3. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Okay, I tried this, and It was just all screwy. I did the one that's supposed to give you the percentage on the battery and the windows logos (the one at this link: http://www.ipodwizard.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5022&d=1137009374)and it's all screwed up. The percentage isn't there, and none of the things such as the windows logos are there either. It looks like it just place random objects in random places almost. I don't know why. I restored it and everything (I chose to restore it rather than use iHack) and still, nothing. I even tried iHack and that kept it the same. Any suggestions?

-edit-

Okay, I'm gonna try doing it all over again. I started from scratch again, and found the Red Tribal Folder. I clicked load all on that folder. In iPod wizard none of the new images are there, they are all the same as before I loaded the theme. Not sure what to do. Thanks for keeping me posted, It seems like such a pain in the a$$ to do this, but it's probably just me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2006
  4. Lethal_B

Jazo,

The v1.0 firmware has a total of 308 bmp's. If it has more, then it has been made for the v1.1 software, in which case, ye will have to use a certain program that converts 1.1 bmp's to 1.0 bmp's before you 'Load all'. That particular program is found (& explained) here

http://www.ipodwizard.net/showthread.php?t=6635

When you load a theme by clicking the 'Load all' button, just click the folder they are in, and they will all load.

[edit], here's my theme already loaded onto my (v1.0) Updater if anyone's interested in testing it..

http://rapidshare.de/files/17189911/iPod_Updater_2005-11-17.exe.html

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  5. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

I am running the v1.1.1 firmware, so that shouldn't be the problem. Sorry I'm such a pain in the a$$ to help, LOL.

6. Lethal_B

Try using the 1.0 software, as there will be more pre-made themes for that. Download my version, linked above if you like, which is already modded.

All you do is download a theme for v1.0, extract into a folder then click 'load', and then 'write'. Keep posting if you are still stuck.

7. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Should I use iHack this way or restore the iPod?

8. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Lethal, would you be able to host the actual theme? It will let us make any minor modifications we'd like to make to it, such as changing the font, or possibly an image or two.

9. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Lethal--

Is it your own theme that you created?

[edit] I finally figured it out. Its an awesome theme, Lethal! I'll probably keep this one for awhile now. Thanx soooo much for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2006
  10. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

I was also wondering if there was a way to [bold]simply[/bold] change the battery icon in that theme to the percentage icon, or is it too complicated? thanks again!

Cheers

11. Lethal_B

No, I didn't create any of the themes. I just mixed and matched other people's themes, and implemented the 'Freshbot' writing style. I am currently working on an AfterDawn Theme, and an Xtreme-Source theme, and both are looking good so far.

Ok, I'm gonna answer both of these questions in one hit..

jazo123
    DarkJello
    All you have to do is load the firmware in iPodWizard, and for themes, click 'Save All' instead of 'Load All' and choose a directory on your HDD, and the images from that updater will be saved in that selected place. There, you can edit the images with Paint/Photoshop/Fireworks/Whatever. Once you are done, click 'Load all' again and then write the theme to your firmware.

As for fonts, same applies. Just load the firmware in iPW and you can continue modding them as shown in the second tutorial..

You guys will get there eventually. Ask as many questions as you need until then..

-Super Mario Theme will be uploaded in about 15 minutes-

-lethal-

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  12. Lethal_B

Here is the SuperMarioTheme for v1.0, as promised.

[bold]http://rapidshare.de/files/17280942/SuperMario.V.1.0.zip.html[/bold]

13. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Very nice theme Lethal :) And yes, I'll understand all the fine workings of iPod Wizard eventually. But I'll probably still bug you from time to time ;)

14. iPod_luva

iPod_luva Guest

Is this all worth it???

I mean it all seems complicated and can void ur apple warranty.... You have to restore (unless u use iHack) just for a different theme????

15. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

How could this void the Apple warranty???

16. iPod_luva

iPod_luva Guest

17. iPod_luva

iPod_luva Guest

nevermind you have got me drawn into it now. im adding the percentage on the battery.

PLUS can you use the downgrade feature on iPod wizard to help you downgrade before you put your modded theme on?

18. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

I was wrong...

19. Lethal_B

Yes you can. Click 'Downgrade Firmware' then you can simply update. I am used to using iHack -- both are just as easy.

Nein, my friend. In fact, the downgrade feature in iPW and iHack do the exact same job. With both, all you have to do is select the drive & click download, so it's down to preference and what you are used to.

20. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

That guy on the "do not disconnect" screen is funny as hell, Lethal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.