1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Posts made here don't count towards member level

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Ketola, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Yeah I've noticed that.. maybe something's up. Need to ask a mod about that one.

EDIT : Remember, all the posts in the safety valve now do not count towards your post count.. but I know someone who has never posted in safety valve and should be at least junior by now.. hmm.

-Mike

2. antomic

antomic Regular member

I dont mind being a newbie. As long as you nice moderators, members and addicts help me out with my problems. I think its nice that someone would sacrifice their personal time to hear me go "HELP PLZZZ!" about my problems, dvd r, etc....

Thank you afterdawn. Your cool.

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ antomic: so is there something we can help you with now then

4. antomic

antomic Regular member

for andmerr

Not currently. Check the audio, dvdr, and psp section. I usually hang out there.

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

6. Jaskaran

Jaskaran Regular member

What if you made posts before 1st of April? do they get deducted or do they stay?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

they stay

8. regor

regor Regular member

what about posts made after 1st april?

does your car have 4-wheel-drive?

excuse me... where's my latte?

9. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

lol, regor.. very good!

10. kzm007

kzm007 Regular member

How's the saying go? If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas?

I, for one, have had a very nice time here. I've posted more to this forum than I ever have before, and you people are great. Kudos and thanks! Kegan

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  11. kzm007

kzm007 Regular member

edit: posted twice sorry!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@kzm007 - it is case sensitive, ie quote & /quote

13. regor

regor Regular member

ahhhh... there's my latte!

thanks very much.

14. regor

regor Regular member

Ok here goes, I'm going to get this off my chest.

To start I don't give a rats dropping whether I am a hoot or a howl or a newbie or an oldster --so a specific title other than 'senior' (and that doesn't matter either) is not what I am trying to accomplish with this reply. What matters to me is in principle...

You say that the threads associated with 'safety valve' do not warrant any incremental post levels to another 'higher' advancement --to another plateau or realm or status or symbol or achievement or whatever you want to call it. Yet abundant and relevant posts to a technical forum does. I don't think that is right --notice I didn't use the word 'fair'.

Folks join AD to get info primarily. Then when they see what is being offered they may opt to contribute with special interests. It is all noble. In fact AD wouldn't exist otherwise. However opting to contribute to a forum called 'safety valve' with numerous threads of interest is also noble yet now segragated from the rest of AD because of the lack of technical merit. I do not understand that.

If I were to open threads on IPSec or Mobile IP or IPV6 or SSL VPN or Network Behavioral Anomalies or Network Intrusion Detection and get an abundance of interest and make many posts would it count toward my addiction status? If so, why? Those technical topics have nothing to do with DVD's or Copy Rights or Portable Audio Players....

I figure I'm an afterdawn addict, in priciple, merely by being 'addicted' or 'drawn' to AD. You all can clamour over the inconsistencies of that given the 'savety valve' forum is 'non-technical' but you are wrong. IMHO

and by the way I have an extensive technical backgound in many areas - areas not encountered on AD)

and btw2 - I am not seeking a change in status, I'm merely giving you my opinion, wanted or not :)

Regor

15. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

well i suggest two seperate counters one for the member level and another for total
    i am having a queue of posts thanks to your 3min limit
    even in the saftey valve, they don't even count

16. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

25 posts later and you will not be restricted to how often you can post...

17. regor

regor Regular member

RAILROADS
    Does the statement, "We've always done it like that" ring any bells? Read this email to the end; you'll love it!!

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used?

Because that's the way they built them in England , and English expatriates built the US Railroads.

Why did the English build them like that?

Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

Why did "they" use that gauge then?

Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.

Okay! Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?

Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England , because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads?

Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (and England ) for their legions. The roads have been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads?

Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. The United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. And bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification and wonder what horse's ass came up with it, you may be exactly right, because the Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the back ends of two war horses!

Now, the twist to the story

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs.
    The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory at Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site.

The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains.

The SRBs had to fit through that tunnel.

The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass.

- And -
    You thought being a HORSE'S ASS wasn't important!

18. pimpmex

pimpmex Guest

hey can can a moderater tell me how many post i have in safety valve just curios

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2006
  19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do it yourself by doing a search.

20. regor

regor Regular member

then what happened?