1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R.I.P. - The thread for dead CD-Rs

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by cd-rw.org, May 21, 2002.

1. SuperG03

SuperG03 Member

Pio2001,

That was my thread originally on hydrogen, and it turns out that the CDR by Taiyo Yuden is perfectly fine. I have tried it in multiple CDR/RW and CD-ROMs and they all come out with a 0 Error using Nero CD Speed, and the CDR/RW drives I verified report C2 Errors. So I guess we can scratch one off the list.

SuperG (DayWalker)

2. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, SuperG3.

Wanted : dead Tayo Yuden, dead gold CDRs.

3. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

To summarize gold CDRs :

1 Mitsui Gold, "it was an audio disc from the beginning of the 4x era, and slowly developed lots of C2 until one day it couldn't be read properly anymore,"

1 Samsung made by CMC : "Mysteriously died after about 4-5 years, it's not really fully dead, but a couple files are already unreadable and the rest reads at 0.5x "

Kodak are unsure, they can be silver+gold.

Anyway, gold is not the ultimate answer. I'm glad I got an external HD to backup MPC instead of burning CDs.

4. westgrveg

westgrveg Guest

Well humidity would in part be the cause of this so yes climate is an issue

5. HiSpeed

HiSpeed Guest

Ok, one more sorry comment on dead CD-R media. I just junked about 200 each of 8X and 12X CD-Rs that were brand new, never had light exposure, chemical exposure, or other than normal room temperature. They would burn ok but then would fail to be recognized in most drives. These are all CMC-Magnetics media, both short and long dye strategies and are all silver/silver. Also, the same CDs (as above) that had data on them for 18-24 monthh are now un-readable. This has to be caused by aging of the CD-R materials. This just sucks.

6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

hi to you all i usualy spend most of my time around the ps2 forum but came here to see if you could help i recently bought 25 infiniti white top cd-r(48x i think) discs(on special localy)to use for data backup and out of the 5 i have used 3 failed data verification after being written at 16x so tried nero6 cd-dvd speed tests nero disc info gave me no info about the brand of discs or any info of any kind so i ran the quality test and got 38500 c2 errors i'm sure this isnt normal so i downloaded cdr identifier from this site and it gave me this info on these discs
    ATIP: 97m 26s 26f
    Disc Manufacturer: SKC Co., Ltd.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)
    just thought i'd let you know

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]cd loader for the v7+ ps2 http://www.geocities.com/jayteemaster2003/

cd loader for v1-6 ps2 http://www.tidusx.cjb.net/[/small]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  7. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

good thing i havent seen no fuji films, i use those alot and they have a very deep green dye. good so far. the ones that died on me were some old school PNY discs, and some memorexs got faded out quickly, so did some HP's.
    Hopefully Fujifilm doesnt go that route.. its all depends on how well you take care of these cd-r's to begin with.

8. parsley5

parsley5 Guest

Just bought a cake of 100 DataWrite disks two weeks ago, burned about ten with no problems, then i started getting errors ranging from power calibration to buffer under runs - Checked the disk and they turn out to be made by CMC, checked the disks i burned last week - Yes, 2 of them dont work anymore. Looks like i've got about 90 coasters (maybe i could sell them on E-bay lol) Should have had a look at this site first, and i'm only going to buy in 25 packs from now on. :)

9. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Ever had a Ritek CD-R go bad? I've got an audio CD (Ritek) made in Febuary of 2003 that none of my CD players (not even the DVD burner in my computer) will play. Extracted all of the tracks with Isobuster (that took a long while) then played the WAV files in Windows Medis Player. Tons of buzz & the speaking voice (it was a sermon CD) was very difficult to understand for 90% of the extracted disc. Most of track 4 cleared up (still buzzy though) as did about half of disc 5. I'll order another copy of that CD & hope the church's duplicator can read the master disc. Oh & the bottom of the CD looks normal plus the disc was kept out of direct light.

I'm surprised the CMC, Lrad Dats & Gigastorage sermon discs still play ok. At least the old ones (from 2003) do but this one disc doesnt.

10. SuperG03

SuperG03 Member

Bratcher,

Run Nero CD-DVD Speed and choose the Disc Quality Section, change the speed to 32x and click start. Once it is finished, please post the screenshot of it. Make sure you use a CD/DVD Burner drive when running this test. If you don't know / have Nero CD Speed, go here: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ and choose the first one to download (it is freeware). Extract and run.

The reason I say this, is because this test will show how many errors the disc really has, and how many are correctable, so we can see just how bad the disc deteriorated during the past 4 years. Thanks.

SuperG03

11. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I have a Plextor CD/DVD burner & if I load any disc in it then Nero's cd/dvd check disc quality start button is greyed out not clickable. No idea why. I can't even check this CD with my CD burner which normally allows me to check CD's. The disc is that bad. Like I said the extracted wav files are full of crackly buzzing on every word & the audio is weak & very difficult to understand.

12. SuperG03

SuperG03 Member

If you have a Plextor, I believe it comes with its own set of tools to check for disc quality. If possible, use that tool and post. Not sure why Nero is not working. When you open up the Nero program, and after you put the disc in the drive, try up at the top drop down box, to switch to the other drive, and then back to the one with the disc in it. Then on the first tab, which is Benchmark, what does it say on the right, under "Disc" Type and Lenght. If something is there, then the disc is being at least recognized. If it is just "-" then something must be severely wrong with the disc. But it is weird that you were still able to "try" and extract the audio, because that would mean that the disc was recognized as an audio CD. Let us know what happens, with Nero or with Plextor Tools.

SuperG03

13. bratcher

bratcher Active member

OK I'll load Plextools on the computer & check the disc out. Nero says the disc is Ritek as does CD Check but it still doesn't play as an audiodisc is any CD player or CD audio players on the computer like WMP or Winamp & yes it is a burned audio CD.

Oh & where do I upload the image for the AD picture to show up?

14. SuperG03

SuperG03 Member

It should be interesting to see what Plextools produces. As far as where to upload the image, I think there are many free hosting sites out there, but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is http://photobucket.com/ You just have to do a free registration and then upload the image.

SuperG03

15. attar

attar Senior member

My Nero tools is the same with an LG burner.
    Run regedit.It's probably blocked out.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ahead\Nero Toolkit\CD Speed\CD Quality]
    "Blocked"="PLEXTOR"

16. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Can it be unblocked? If so then whats the best way to do it & will the CD Quality scan work after I unblock my Plextor DVD drive?

I do my CD & DVD scans with Plextools Professional XL which works 100% of the time but takes awhile to run through all of the tests for a disc & yes I can select just one or more tests as I choose to.

17. attar

attar Senior member

In my case I used Regedit and changed the entry from
    SAMSUNG,TSST,HL-DT-ST,PLEXTOR
    to
    SAMSUNG,TSST,PLEXTOR

The deleted HL-DT-ST referred to my LG burner.

When that was changed I could use all the test features - but the scans were lousy.Which is probably the reason that Nero blocked these drives.
    Either the drives are poor quality (not likely) or the results cannot be trusted to give a true indication of quality.
    I restored the entry and left it at that.
    I never followed up to see if it was the drive firmware or the Tools program that needed updates.
    I believe (I think I read) that the names of the blocked drives change from time to time as Nero gets updated..

Cheers.

18. bratcher

bratcher Active member

In that case I'll stay with my slower Plextools Professional XL testing if I want to check a disc.