1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Softmod ISO available

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by shademand, May 6, 2006.

1. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

I don't believe xboxhdm will even create a G drive. First of all, G drives are about the dumbest idea there is, considering there are BIOSes that support having all the space on F. If you're missing space that you should have on F, that's a different issue.

Also, because I'm dumb and couldn't figure out how to get around the LBA48 (137GB) limit, I eventually just switched to using:

UDE1/UDE2 Package For Xboxhdm
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t222993.html
    It's available at the usual places in the xboxhdm section. The update.xbe it requires you'll have to dig around for as far as I know, but it works great.

This mod (I believe) will seriously work on all xbox versions. It is the same as the UDE1/UDE2 memcard exploit I used to use with MechAssault before I learned to hotswap hard drives. It is the only solution I have found so far that will let me mod a 1.6b xbox AND get past the LBA48 limitation. I just always use PBL Metoo as my loader and EvoX M8 as my BIOS.

I had one difficulty that had me wondering about it for a while. All you have to do is put the UDE folder in the linux directory of xboxhdm. That is it. The script will then work. Apparently I don't understand linux enough to know how that's possible, or xboxhdm's creator specifically made xboxhdm look for a UDE folder with a script inside.

2. JRoyle

JRoyle Member

How would I go from shademand's ready made mod, to UDE1/2, on a launch xbox?

3. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

I am not sure what you mean by launch xbox (1.0 maybe?), but here goes.

I assume you made a backup of what came on your xbox's C partition before you applied shademand's package. If you did not, I'm not sure as to exactly which files are needed for UDE1/2 to install correctly.

Anyway, you need to start with a clean C partition (original files from Microsoft) of ANY version of the MS dashboard. Although the official xbox-scene thread for this UDE2 xboxhdm package already says this, if you don't have MS dashboard version 4920, 5659, or 5960, you need to get the update.xbe from one of these dashboard versions or the update.xbe from NFL Fever (I'm assuming there's some original version of NFL Fever you need as opposed to a possibly fixed re-release of it). Once you get this file, you just need to drop it in the UDE\files directory. If you are having trouble finding this file, give me some way of contacting you, and I may be able to greatly help you get it.

Now that the long-winded explaining is over, here are quick, summarized steps:

Extract xboxhdm.
    Extract the UDE1/2 for xboxhdm installer package.
    Put the appropriate update.xbe in the files folder in the UDE folder in the UDE1/2 package (UDE\files).
    Put the UDE folder from the UDE1/2 package into the linux folder of xboxhdm (structure: xboxhdm\linux\UDE).
    Make, burn, and run your iso of xboxhdm.
    At the point where you would normally type xbrowser or xboxhd, type UDE and hit enter.
    Follow the step by step instructions. For a trouble-free install, I recommend PBL-metoo as the loader and Evox M8 as the BIOS, although other combos may work.

There you go, modded. If you want to install a new Dashboard (recommended by me as I hate both Evox and MXM), just replace the contents of E:\Dashboard\ with whatever dashboard you want, ensuring that the main xbe is renamed to default.xbe. If you aren't sure what Dashboard you want, I'll tell you now, you want Xbox Media Center. It is by far the most full-featured, one-stop shop to do anything on the xbox. I like it because you can run all your apps, games, and movies all in one place without switching to other programs. It also has a SMB (Windows File Sharing)/Samba client which kicks ass. I also believe it's the only major Dashboard that gets regular updates as of late. The only thing you may miss out on is Avalaunch's game save downloading feature, but you can just install Avalaunch as a regular app, and run it as needed.

4. JRoyle

JRoyle Member

Alright, after following your instructions, I have Evox up and running and installed PBL-Metoo and Evox M8. My F drive is the same size as before I installed UDE2. What do I do know to get the rest of the space available on my hard drive? Your help is greatly appreciated.

5. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

How much of a space discrepancy are we talking about here? If you prepared the drive with xboxhdm, it should have have a 500MB C-drive, a roughly 4895MB E-drive, 3 750MB cache partitions (X,Y, and Z), and then whatever is left over for F.

That means roughly 7.5 gigs is tied up doing xbox system stuff. Also, since I think the extra 2GB is normally wasted on the 10GB stock drives (as opposed to the 8GB ones), that might also be wasted when you have a much bigger hard drive.

Adding to that, are you sure you know how much usable space your drive really has? For example, my 300GB drive has a little over 3 billion bytes of space (as far as Windows knows about). It therefore has 300 billion/1024/1024/1024 = about 280GB. Hard drive manufacturers are blatantly dishonest in that they use the metric prefixes in their most classic senses (base10) as opposed to what everyone else in the computer industry understands them to mean (base2/binary).

Let me know how big your drive is supposed to be and how big your F partition is being shown to be in Evox, and maybe I can help you further.

6. JRoyle

JRoyle Member

My Hard drive is supposed to be 250GB. I beleive my F drive is about 120GB, but I can't find anywhere to check the total space in Evox. It's reporting 105.808.117.760 free on F, and I have installed 4 games roughly 5 GB each in size, and 1 movie which was about 7 GB. Thanks again for your help.

7. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

I've had issues like yours when switching from a situation where LBA48 wasn't supported (I think using shademand's package and a 250GB hard drive) to where it was. If you were using shademand's package (lba48 not supported) and you copied files to your F partition, it might have messed things up. I don't have a perfect understanding of how filesystems work and how switching your BIOS to see the filesystem as being larger would affect things, but specifically, I've put things on the F partition without lba48 support, replaced my bios with one that supported lba48 so I could use all of my space, and suddenly all the files I had put on the F partition were no longer there (or at least not visible in xbox apps) and my reported space had not changed.

Basically, if you have the extra 20 gigs on your computer, I would recommend backing up your games and movie (and I don't see why'd you'd have a 7GB uncompressed DVD rip on your xbox hard drive, but that's your business), freshly preparing the drive with xboxhdm, freshly installing UDE2 again, checking your free space on F once again, and, if all is right, copying your games and mammoth movie back to the xbox (or compressing the movie to a nice format like divx or xvid first to drop it down to about 1/10th its size)

8. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

At the peril of other readers who might have been benefitting from this discussion, feel free to add me on MSN Messenger at zach-AT(NOSPAM)-tendollarchaw.com so we can more quickly get ideas back and forth.

9. JRoyle

JRoyle Member

I got it working after. I used xboxhdm to setup the hard drive again, then used the UDE installer to install the softmod. The full hard drive is recognized now. Thanks for all your help Magotchi.

10. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

You're welcome.

11. mattias24

mattias24 Member

Well im totally new at this. Ive managed to get softmod working on my new xbox with Xboxhdm but only for a couple of minutes. Then it stopped and i only get the service screen.

I dont have backup of the eeprom.bin from the box. Must I have it? and the harddrive is locked and i cannot unlock it.

So I did everything right with the shademands files to another harddrive. And yes it works perfect on my other chip xbox but not on my new 1 that i´m trying to soft mod. Please help me out

12. mattias24

mattias24 Member

what I mean is that i can see the apps and everything with shademands files when i put the harddrive on my chipped xbox but only as usual the service screen on my new xbox.

13. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

I don't know much about chipped xboxes, but if you read through what we've already talked about, you'll probably be able to figure out how to remod it the way I've been describing.

Also, as far as needing to get access to your xbox without the eeprom or knowing the password, using the hot-swap method is the best (and one of the only) ways to access an xbox without one of those.

14. penner13

penner13 Guest

is there any way to play xbox 360 games on xbox 1 ie. emulator/firmware hack

thx
    penner

15. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

nice unrelated post. Don't waste time asking idiotic questions.
    That would be similar to playing SNES games on Atari 2600. It just wouldn't work. With a 360, the games are coded for the power pc architecture as opposed to x86 like an xbox game is. Theoretically it would be possible to render an xbox 360 game on an xbox, but it would be a waste of time, because the hardware on an xbox is nowhere near powerful enough to render most xbox 360 games at full speed, especially in an emulated fashion.

16. mattias24

mattias24 Member

ty for quick reply but im still confused Ive read all at this forum but still dont get it.
    Well lets explain my problem from the beginning. I have 2 xbox. 1 with a modchip that works perfect. The other I managed to get working with softmod swap method without eeprom as it said. Notice that I dont know what eeprom is, and y it worked for a couple of minutes until I started a game. Next time when i started it I got the service screen. I did not use a original game or gamememory card to softmod it I used xboxhdm.
    So then I thought hey maybe I can fix it. I tried but since I dont have the eeprom from the original xbox I cant even unlock the hd. And I cant swap it because I cant get pass service menu.

Because I cant get pass service screen I then...
    Next thing I downloaded shademands cd and put the c, d folders on a new hd that i made with superdisc first on the chipped xbox. The hd works on the chipped perfect. But when I put hd in orig, xbox I get service screen.

So next thing I used liveInfo program on pc to unlock my orignal xbox hd to get the eeprom. I choosed physical drive 1 where I put the hd and save an eeprom again and thougt hey this must work. Put shademands c,d, folders and the eeprom in right place and made a xbox hd from scratch with xboxhdm with my pc and the hd. Still the same thing:( This method I read after I found out the swapmethod.

So what shall I do? Ive tried several of days with this.
    /Mattias

17. wasted05

wasted05 Guest

so how did u softmod ur xbox hotswap u better have made an ms backup and backed up ur eeprom if u didnt do that...well as my friend would say "shame on you" now u have 2 hotswap again 2 fix ur xbox

18. mattias24

mattias24 Member

No i didnt backup my eeprom since the xbox-scene tutorial didnt said so or at least i didnt read it. But i found this to restore to original but what do i do when i have the backup of c from slayer disc?

copied from the tutorial

Q: Help, I really fux0red something up and my Xbox is broke now. Why is it broken?
    A: I guess I could just say it's broken because you didn't follow directions, but that would be too easy. The Xbox hard drive has a primary (important) partition which is the C:/ drive. This important drive contains the operating system, just like your computer’s C:/ drive does. A softmod will overwrite files in this C:/ drive and basically do it’s own thing, renaming folders and creating new ones, deleting stuff. In other words, whether you did the softmod correctly or your xbox is broken, your C:/ drive is nothing like it was before. If you want to get your Xbox working again, you will need a completely retail C:/ drive that has not been modified in any way. You can get this off of a SlaYer’s disc. The SlaYer’s torrent file can be downloaded at the usual place. After downloading the torrent, use bittorrent to download SlaYer’s. Once SlaYer’s is downloaded, you will notice it is actually a self-extracting archive. It is password protected, so enter this password: sevx2.6. It should extract an ISO file. To get the C files from the ISO, use Qwix to extract the ISO and your files are in /SYSTEM/ALL/C/. Yeah, I know – it’s a lot of work, but it has to be done if you want a completely retail C drive and you didn’t make a backup of yours.

19. wasted05

wasted05 Guest

thats weird because u cant softmod unless u backup ur eeprom

20. mattias24

mattias24 Member