1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to combine the srt. file with a Video Clip file?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by HolyArrow, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

You haven't installed Textsub, or have you?

2. NitroGSR

NitroGSR Member

i am not sure....but i thought i comes with it in virtualdubmod? or i hv to find it seperately? or shall i say...how do i install the textsub?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  3. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Hmm, if you did a FULL Install of VobSub (not VirtualDubMod) then textsub should be installed, double check or try reinstalling VobSub making sure it's full install (all ticked boxes). Report back and I'll see if I can find a standalone Textsub download (though my memory is vague).

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

TextSub is part of VSFilter (has been for some years now). Simply download vsfilter, rename to vsfilter.vdf and place in the plugin dir. VSFilter also contains VOBSub for VDub as well as both TextSub/VobSub plugins for AVISynth and (auto)directvobsub.

5. pumacub

pumacub Guest

brilliant instructions. super-clear and easy to follow. thanks & cheers!

6. RED1488

RED1488 Guest

I found this thread to be very helful in applying my .srt subtitle file to my .avi video. It only took about 15 min once I got it started. I had some trouble getting my VirtualDubMod/Plugins folder in order but I figured it out. One question I do have is how to go about editing my subtitle file so that the subtitles are larger and lower on the screen. My video has the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen and I would like to put the subtitles on the bottom bar. I do not want to change anything else about them, the timing and everything is great. I just want to make them larger and lower. Thanks for your time.

-RED-

7. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

The black bars you're talking about are not actually part of the video, your video file is probably wide screen and your monitor or TV is not as proportionally wide as the video. So the TV has nothing to display but blackness. So...since the black bars are from the display unit and not the video itself- you cannot put the subtitles into the bars. Only on the video itself.
    Hope that helped. Not so sure about the resizing and stuff though.

8. RED1488

RED1488 Guest

Yes that helps. Now I just need to find out how to make the subtitles more readable. Larger for sure.

9. RED1488

RED1488 Guest

On second thought, is it possible to add a black bar to the bottom of the screen without losing any of the picture? This vid is wider then most widescreens I have seen so it will always have those bars, outside of a movie theater. The subtitles also appear blurry, but that may just be because of the pictures behind them.

10. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Nope...dunno how to add the black bars- maybe someone else can help you out or Google for some help. But if you add the black bars the video WILL be narrower I think..I dunno if it's possible to actually extend the way :\
    Hope you find what you're looking for.

11. creamnom

creamnom Guest

very helpful , thank

12. tharveen

tharveen Member

Method
    1) Do a full install of VobSub and all the other downloads.
    Open up VirtualDubMod and then go to File and Open your AVI file. If it gives a message about VBR then click "NO".
    2) Then click on Video-->Filters-->Add now here- depending on your subtitle file format- if your subs are in srt, sub(text), smi, ssa format then click on textsub, if you have an idx/sub/ifo subtitle add the VobSub filter intead. Now click on open and select your subtitle file. Then click OK and OK again.
    3) Now go to Video-->Full Processing Mode.
    4) Click on Video-->Compression and select either DivX or XviD (depending on which one you downloaded at the start) and click OK.
    5) Finally go to File--> Save As and save your combined .avi file, this will take roughly 3-6 hours to make the finished .avi file. Once done, test out your video to see if the subs are combined (this method should work on whatever format subs you have)

well i did as u say but.. i couldnt find this thing,

1) 2) Then click on Video-->Filters-->Add now here- depending on your subtitle file format- if your subs are in srt, sub(text), smi, ssa format then click on textsub, if you have an idx/sub/ifo subtitle add the VobSub filter intead. Now click on open and select your subtitle file. Then click OK and OK again.

as i click VIDEO and then FILTERS and then ADD i couldnt find n e thing on TEXTSUB or VoSub. pls tell me?

how do i solve this!

cause i got this avi video with this seperate subttitle i want to burn in to my dvd so i could watch it with subtitle!

13. tharveen

tharveen Member

I did made a full installation of Vobsub

but the plugin VobSub is there but not TextSub

wat to do?

14. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

15. Schuck24

Schuck24 Member

Hi I just had a quick question about VDubMod, So Right now I have done everything you said about the .srt file and avi file. I used Filter to add it to the track and the output video file has the subtitles like I wanted. However when I click => Save As and save it as an avi file, the File is so huge! it has gotten to about 20GB before I ran out of space. I am doing this wrong, right?
    Anyway you could help me?

16. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

This has got to have been covered already, but you need to select a codec for compression. By default you get RGB24, which means 3 bytes per pixels which doesn't sound much, but it adds up fast.

17. fnnfnnfnn

fnnfnnfnn Member

I have an srt. file, and you said use the vobsub filter instead, what does that mean?

18. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

2) Then click on Video-->Filters-->Add now here- depending on your subtitle file format- if your subs are in srt, sub(text), smi, ssa format then click on textsub, if you have an idx/sub/ifo subtitle add the VobSub filter intead. Now click on open and select your subtitle file. Then click OK and OK again.

You pick it from the video-->filters-->add now section, it basically instructs the program what kind of sub files you're going to be using and what filter will best understand it and implement the subs (hard code). Not a very in depth explanation, but hope it helped- and if anyone wants to- correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to contribute.

19. shahri50

shahri50 Member

please help me out.although i choose the arabic characters it's still shows the word in some symbols.it doesn't matter which charactr st i choose it just doesn't make a diffrent.please tell me how i can fix this problem.

20. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You could convert your subs to unicode.