1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Layout improvements at AfterDawn.com

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by cheezy_P, Aug 30, 2006.

1. flyingv

flyingv Guest

Good look guys! We all know how much hard work you put into this site keeping it up. Thanks!!!

2. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

dRD: Good to know you are getting some help. I love this new look.

3. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

dRD, glad you found some help, but I think it would look alot better with smaler tabs at the top, every thing eles looks good.

~Domreis

4. klassic

klassic Regular member

Websites change. People in general dislike change. IE many will dislike the changes. They will take time getting used to. Now onto my feelings...

I agree to make tabs a bit smaller. I think they stand out too much. I don't mind the rounded corners, but the problem is the whole site is squared off except the tabs. It just doesn't flow. Same problem with the black bar. The flow of the page has disappeared. I know for new users you want things to stand out.

I hope you will tighten things up over time.

5. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  6. klassic

klassic Regular member

7. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

hey these improvmets are quite good and are growing through out afterdawn servers :)

8. 21Q

21Q Regular member

when I first say this I said wth, but im good now, still the black bar has to go, the tabs a wee bit smaller and as klassic said
    omg, thought older layout is HORRIBLE

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  9. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

@klassic
    them links are amaysing they have all the links aswell :O is the whole website on there server then ? (of when it was taken)

ogm afterdawn used o have popups :S

10. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

i think that the tabs being big is a good thing especially for noobs and first timers that come to AD, as the Tabs really standout more then the old layout(well of course becuz there bigger now, i know that)

11. zippyd

zippyd Active member

not sure if it's the opacity or the actual color used to highlight whichever tab is selected ie.. forum, news, etc... but it looks a greenish color which doesn't quite fit. Should be more blue in my humble opinion.

But yeah... do like the new tabs.

12. rav009

rav009 Active member

Hmmm, seems like a lot has changed since I have came back (a weeks absence), tabs are huge :p

The colour tag support is great though :)

13. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

i made afterdawn bleed :)

14. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

I still think that we should have the idea where the user gets to swith between the layouts they want, a bit like the colour scheme thing on the profiles page.
    I realy want to see the old AfterDawn back.

15. rav009

rav009 Active member

Same, I MUCH prefere the old aD layout, wheres the my account tab gone???!!!

:-(

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

17. billybob

billybob Regular member

Well, i think it looks pretty cool. i think i prefer the old afterdawn lookout, but its still pretty cool.

The old style will always be remembered in my signature pic :D

18. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

So will we get the old AD back?
    or can we get the toggle between old and new look option?

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

probably no and no....odds are, this is what we have until drd does the total redesign on '08. so let's try to get used to it, eh?

20. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

BluRay: People generally dislike change -- and you and bunch of others are a living proof of that :) But if we'd listened only the people complaining about the changes, we'd still have a frame-based thingy we had back in 1999 with WinAMP skins, no discussion forums and lovely pink menus here and there. People who have been visiting our site ever since 1999 or so, probably do remember the "v1" (the ultra-graphics rich website that was a huge overkill back in an era when 56k modem was the FAST connection to the net) and "v2" (that existed until late 2003, a completely different from v1, with virtually no graphics and no color whatsoever). And every time we've changed the layout, 99% of the feedback has been negative -- until we suggest 6 months later "hey guys, maybe we should go back to the previous layout" and people start telling us how they prefer the new look instead ;-)

That is not saying that we don't listen our user feedback -- actually the new layout was sparked by the user feedback we've been receiving for the last 3 years, people telling us how they like the site but can't find navigational elements of the site and thus, getting lost trying to figure out where to find stuff they are looking for.

So, the new layout stays. We'll evaluate stuff that is important for developing our site -- that includes feedback from our Finnish users, you guys and from the log statistics we see. As I've worked almost 9 years in web development business, been working for companies such as BBC, etc and dealt with web development issues, customer feedback, etc I know from the experience that there are certain calculational rules you can apply to positive vs negative feedback. Usually you multiply the positive feedback by 10 and compare that figure to the complaints and you get an actual satisfaction ratio, as the thumb of rule is that only people who are unhappy, bother commenting :)

But again, thanks for the feedback and I'm sure that the changes now launched wont be the "final" for this version and we will most likely make minor improvements to the layout during the next couple of weeks/months. The tabs will stay bigger, but will they be as big as they are now? Don't know. Tabs are "rounded" and the site is "square", so that might change as well. And gree doesn't fit to the rest of the layout, but it sticks out and makes the navigation more obvious to new users. Will it stay that way? We'll see.