1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does it take to become a AfterDawn Addict ?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by rdmercer1, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I like the idea of AfterDawn closing it's doors for a while. Maybe invites should be issued if you have someone who wishes to join and that member can vouch for them.

Lol.

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

aww, creaky, how often do we drag thread off topic before the original poster's questions have been answered? not very, i don't think. :-(

another good suggestion, jack.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i lurk (ie and never post) on an obscenely unhealthy amount of threads, so i get to see how much crap does goes on. Oh and i forgot to mention, i notice a lot of 'help duplication' in threads, mainly the DVD Shrink Forum, am watching the situation a while longer first to see if it remedies itself

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

okay, let me rephrase that: do i need to correct my posting habits, creakster? i'd rather be chewed out now than banned later. ^.^

5. creaky

nah you know i'm always right behind you, it's all the others that i'm on about :p

here's how i'll explain it... i lurk on a lot of cdfreaks threads (even post on some when i have time) and for instance, it's very rare (admittedly i only lurk in a couple forums) that i see threads go awhol (saw one last week) so when it happens it jumps out at me like a poke in the eye so i can imagine what people must think of too many AD threads. I only don't clamp down on it a fraction as much as i should because my replies would be seen far,far more in (adult) threads, such that it would take the edge of my presence, ie people would see me so often they'd ignore my quips/putdowns and pokes in the eye etc...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

and here i was worried for a moment. *whew*

ultimate solution: give a black '69 dodge charger, a supply of "clean" guns, and the ip address of all the retards.

7. onya

onya Guest

Exellent point of view there...and very workable. Let the mods go through the "ranks" and clean up (Muppicide) whats needed and then re-open the gates. Couple that with a vote to promote, this place would be hard to beat.

8. creaky

- LMAO that's another top comment there :p

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

think closing down the joining system for time here and there is feasible, creaky?

10. onya

onya Guest

Wish I could take credit.....I first saw Janrocks refer to certain members as Muppets. I swear I almost fell of my chair. It just happens to be descriptive enough.. without being overly nasty. Very apt and very humorous. Nice one jan ;)

11. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Interesting posts...

Another variable in the mix is advertising. Soon as you have adverts, and I don't blame Ad for taking the $ to finance the site, then you're into traffic & numbers & click through. So a situation develops where the Ad owners have a different goal than the members...

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'm with you lot on this one

However, I'm also off to bed now (hopefully not with any of you lot) so i'll catchya tomorrow!

(Yeah, it's only like 9.10pm here, but i'm shattered, so whatever, lol)

13. onya

onya Guest

Nightmares can seem real.....

Lucky ba*tard...wish I had half your luck mate! LOL

14. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

True. Just improve it. That's all.
    This idea, I like. And right now, I have nothing to bring it down, unfortunately.

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yeah, i'm sexy with good ideas like that. ^.^ just maybe, the admin will take it into consideration.

16. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

i think, as i said and creaky said, hit the offensive post report button more and youll see an improvement. Creaky didnt say the numbers, but i can safely say i can count that number on my hands, maybe even one hand.

17. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Do I win the button basher prize then?

18. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

You and Dan for sure :)

19. creaky

My addition from here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/322699/2999555

- i agree 100% (don't take it all personally Ireland). I personally have to scroll thru 99% of them especially the long-winded ones, i've always got far too much to do, my poor old brain is far too busy for all this

- I agree very strongly with not being able to withstand randomness (again this is aimed at a few people, and again, see my other quotes)... If i want random i'll chat with friends or read the newspaper or mooch around the internet, my poor old mouse wheel has to work overtime scrolling thru so much forgettable stuff

- this is aimed primarily at some of our older members. For instance, no-one minds the odd 'how are you' in a thread, as long as it's within a post (and a rare occurrence). You will note very very few posts of mine that are random and purely 'chatty'. I'm 'sort of older', and like a random chat as much as the next person. HOWEVER in the right place, NOT on (very) public forums. Good Grief, try to do the 3rd person on this...imagine you go to a brand new site you've never visited before, looking for techie help, from a google search for instance. Imagine how you'd feel, (probably struggling enough with the in's and out of computers as it is) only to fall upon a thread full of mindless chatter. Not a good impression (see my comment further down re cdfreaks). Note how easy it is to end up at Afterdawn from a google search, so we get a lot of newcomers every day, imagine the bad impression so many people must get....

These quotes are from the recent "what does it take to become a AfterDawn Addict ?" thread -

- so people don't like reporting idiocy/rule breaking etc. There are posters who think it's silly and petty. Well guess what, i disagree, and not because i'm one of the idiots who has to clean up the crap. I was a normal poster here once, and even when i first joined, my feelings on all the things i've posted in the reply, were the same, i didn't want to read thru threads and have to put up with idiocy/profanities/childish banter/etc etc etc. Yet some of you bleat, cry, p**s and moan about rules/'injustices' apparently done to you, ie sig rules etc etc etc. GROW UP for goodness sake. If you can't cope, get off the computer, go outside and enjoy the fresh air, talk to yourselves if it helps, but stop cluttering up the forums with mind-numbing idiocy. The kiddies in the console forums are bad enough, but seeing these things in 'adult' forums gets my goat. I was away from AD for 3months, only to come back and see the same old crap.

(the 'crap going on' mentioned here is random chatting btw)

- i'm now out of steam, and some of you will still p**s and moan as if the world's coming to an end. At the end of the day, if you need to chat endlessly, go do it in a pub or something, keep it off these forums. We usually tolerate the odd thread full of mindless crap in case it keeps most the idiocy off other threads/forums, but it doesn't work, and there are posters here with way too much free time on their hands, both to post crap and to moan when their 'freedom' is threatened. When i first came to AD (and thru the following year) I used to have far too much free time so used to be all over the forums, but not with mindless chatter, i put my fingers to good use, ie helping people and reporting all the crap i stumbled across along the way. I wouldn't sift thru endless crap off people at work while dealing with techie problems, nor do i like reading thru thread/helping in threads, to have to step over so much crud along the way.

/rant over

20. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

i guess that the auto promote works to a point, one thing to think about is to have a test or a quiz to see if that member going to that next stage at afterdawn, is well schooled in all areas of afterdawn, that way people would know that the AfterDawn Addict is a person who is desvering of the title.