1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Hello. I tried this guide on my soft modded (version 1.1) xBox. In my case the eeprom backup is located under E:\apps\evox\backup. In any event, I know it is the correct eeprom, because when I view it, I get the serial number of my xBox.

Here is where the problem is. After I run the xboxhdm CD (eeprom is in the eepom folder, C: from the backup folder (with shadow.c folder), and E: from the xBox) and create a "new drive" all is ok. Even when I lock the drive with hdlock -a, everything appears fine. When I put the drive in the xBox, I get the 06 error.

From what I've read, that is because the drive isn't locking.

I've tried two drives - a Maxtor DiamondMax 16, 160Gb drive. And also a Seagate 200Gb drive. I checked a compatibility listing, and can't find the Maxtor, but according to a list I saw the Seagate should work.

However - it says the drive can be locked with Config Magic (for xBox version 1.1). How come locking doesn't work with xboxhdm tools? And if I am to use Config Magic, don't I need a working xBox drive first?

I can run Config Magic from my current setup, and unlock (and relock) the existing hard drive. With the new drive not being able to lock - and hence boot, how can I load Config Magic?

Or is the a way to create a boot CD, and boot the xBox with Config Magic as the dashboard?

Or does anyone know where I can find Chimp? Would be willing to try that if need be.

Thanks!

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

No, Error 6 means that it is the WRONG eeprom! The correct eeprom will be elsewhere! It has nothing to do with whether it can be locked (all drives can be locked).

Search for the correct eeprom or make another one from evox dash!

3. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

So the fact that the serial number matches in the Live tool means nothing? That's odd because that's where it says the backup is placed.

I reread the error 6 code, and I made a mistake before. Sorry about that. I was mixing up 5 and 6.

I've read somewhere that there can be an eeprom in the TDATA folder. I guess I'll look there.

On another note - does anyone know why a drive (Maxtor fireball 3) would build, and when the xBox boots up, it just goes to a black screen (no error codes)

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Just make another eeprom in Evox or with a Slayers disc!

5. ssflyboy

ssflyboy Member

Have made a number of different backups with Evox and Slayer discs-once wih configmagic- but in LiveInfo I keep getting a "XBE and region code incorrect" message on the eeprom? Have beta 3 to read 1.6. Does a softmod make a virtual eeprom? The folder your tutorial refers to doesn't show up-and they all save to c:/backup What am I missing chunkhead? Tried to chimp the box but telnet didn't work on my v.1.6. Fark!! Was able to put a new hd in my other modchipped box easily so I am not a total imbecile...

Learning a lot- thinking I may order a chip- are they available in the states after that raid?

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The 1.6 are a pain in the ass. Some just won't work! A chip is the surefire way to get them going. Not sure if you guys can still get them!

You could build an eeprom reader...

7. Rod70

Rod70 Member

Hi, been hanging around for a while and having softmodded my xbox I'm now interested in installing a larger hard drive to save games etc. I've gone through the thread but having an issue creating the 'make-iso-win.bat' in xboxhdm_v1.9. The DOS box will appear and go through the motions but no 'linux.iso' file at the end of it. I'm running Vista Basic so not sure if that has anything to do with it. I've had a punt around the PC and can't find the iso file anywhere other than where it should be. Any ideas? Many thanks.

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Honestly, I haven't run it on Vista yet. Maybe it's got an issue!? Shouldn't though...

It should just be in the main folder like the picture!

9. Rod70

Rod70 Member

Feel a bit silly but sorted it now. Some time agao I uninstalled Roxio due to Vista compatibility issues. It turns out the ISO was made but was showing as a rar file. As I was looking for an ISO file I just glanced over it. Appologies for that. Anyway I burned the ISO to a disc then installed to a six year old 40GB Excellsior Hard Disk I had. Xbox working OK and networked to our Vista Premium Media PC in lounge. I can't get DVD2Xbox to work at moment. I've downloaded v0.7.8 and FTP'd to E/Apps but it's not seen Applications using MC360 Skin. I can browse to the folder contents but thats about it. If anyone can assist I'd be gratefull. Thank you again guys for all the informative stuff here and elsewhere.

10. Rod70

Rod70 Member

I registered with Eurasia.nu and downloaded 0.7.8 R2 which stopped DVD2Xbox locking up. I just pointed the dash to the relevant apps folder in the end. Backed one of my games and now much easier than inserting disc everytime. :)

11. farrantch

farrantch Member

what if your eeprom isnt read by the liveinfo thing?

12. Rod70

Rod70 Member

Make sure you have a recent version of liveinfo that covers firmware version 1.6. Google LiveInfo_Beta_3-Xbox_v1.6-Yoshihiro. The one in the link is Liveinfo 2. :)

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Didn't realise it was the old version, link has been updated!

Cheers!

14. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

I was finally able to upgrade my softmodded Xbox. I used Chimp, and it worked like a charm (on one of my 40Gb drives) Now I have what appear to be 3 unlockable drives. I tried unlocking then with the same boot disk (with the backup eeprom), and they don't appear to unlock. Also tried using Chimp to use the motherboard eeprom. No luck. Anybody have any other ideas?

And for what it's worth - Chimp would display an entirely green screen using Component hookup (making me think it was an Xbox 1.6 (which is a known issue with Chimp I guess). However, when I used the Composite hooking, the screen was fine. Weird.

At least I'm somewhat upgraded. I just hope I don't have 3 paperweights.

15. dan72588

dan72588 Regular member

Hi, before i attempt to upgrade hard drive, I have a softmodded C folder which works perfectly fine for MS dash and a E folder which has my XBMC and emulators. Can I use those folders to make the ISO? Assuming I have C folder named C and E folder named E and add an F folder and an eeprom folder? thanks

16. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Yes!

But much safer and more stable to reinstall everything fresh...

17. Rod70

Rod70 Member

I did this but found XBMC was then playing up (Black Screens) when opening up some file locations. Re-installed XBMC and the problem went away. Much better to do the minimum required then FTP the rest later I think.

18. dan72588

dan72588 Regular member

Ya, just tried it on a dummy hard drive and it is better to do a fresh copy PLUS it takes less time

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I always install fresh! At least you know it'll work...

20. kaydog890

kaydog890 Member

Im doing this now. But it appears to be stuck on "Building C-drive..."
    Any ideas on how long this should take?