1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this P5B Motherboard work well with these parts???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Eugene482, Jul 22, 2007.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

because you don't ship? Sorry I didn't understand that.

2. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

By "don't ship" I mean their store is located near our friends' house, I order there, I get it there. That way I can also ask questions about these confusing motherboards. 4 days, and no progress whatsoever. Also, how can motherboard determine if you can use Service pack 1 or not?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's like most PC stores I know, they'll talk you into buying something crap.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh its a brick and mortar store?

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sam stop bashing my mobo, not all of them are badly made.

all nf600 mobos support 1333fsb and give better gaming performance than any 965 chipset mobo. thats what nvidia make them for, intel make theirs to show off their cpus.

p5b dlx gives the highest ocs on the old intel chipsets.

evga 680 seems to be giving the best on nf600.

a dfi lanparty p35 chipset has taken the fsb world record with 672fsb so i guess they will be the ddr3 mobo to have.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I don't like to 'bash' anything that a) I own and am using right now and b) is from a company I've supported for a while, but given the number of issues people have had, and how nobody of the people I know who has a P5N-E has had everything work out of the box, it certainly hasn't started well. Yes, it may perform very well, and mine does, provided I don't go near the BIOS, but there are some questionable things going on in there. If anything I've got off the lightest, but an 80 Celsius chipset heatsink (let alone the core temperature underneath) has me worried.

7. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

It's not like I am gonna go and "I have this CPU and this GPU, now gimme a good and cheap mobo". I am gonna go and say,

"ok, this DS3 Gigabyte, what revision is it? Are you sure? Are you sure? Ok, does it support 1333MHz CPUs? Are you sure? Are you sure? Are you not lying? I will bring it back if you're lying. Here sign this paper saying that if you lie, I will bring it back for the refund. Ok this mobo, does it support windows xp sp1? Are you sure? Show me. Are you sure this is xp sp1? Are you sure? Are you sure? Here sign this paper saying that you're sure and that I can bring it back if you lied"

I want a motherboard, that's why I came here to ask. And so far I haven't gotten any info. I need to make the parts list, and that P5B dx is still on it, that's why I need to find that rv 3.3 to change that p5b.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually that makes you sound like a damn fool, but lol yes that's a good approach.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Or you could record your conversation, just a thought :)

10. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

A question: why does it matter which SP you use with the motherboard? Also, is there a way to install that motherboard, and work with SP1 and then somehow upgrade it to SP2 still using that motherboard? I mean, upgrading to SP2 but not through windows update because it doesn't work >_>

11. REAM

REAM Guest

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, ditch the case/psu.

get yourself either an antec 900, a p182 or a lian-li PC-7+

and for PSU get you self the corsair 520W HX

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I'd go with that.

13. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I'll take a look at that case/PSU.

I've updated to SP2, so atm I am not limited to SP1. Now all I need is a good/not expensive motherboard that supports C2D 1333 fsb.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: Are you serious? That's 2x more expensive than just the case with the included PSU!!!

http://infonec.ca/site/main.php?module=detail&id=309992

http://infonec.ca/site/main.php?module=detail&id=349339

Transparent case is good, but.... [sigh] I'll consider it if there is a motherboard to my tastes that is not $200.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yup, and that's how much they SHOULD cost. I know it was Antec, but cheap power supplies and Power supplies that come with cases are usually a big nono.

15. REAM

REAM Guest

well becuase you are getting a decent "gaming" system. never skimp on the PSU. the cases are the new low standard, but choose a case that suites you, but please dont choose a PSU that comes with a case. they are nearly always generic, and probably wont have the Voltages on the rails to support your GPU.

that psu is regarded as one of the best, and its 620 counter part IMO is the best out. you coudld SLI 8800GTXs on the 620!

most ppl never give a toss about the PSU apart from watts when they look to build upgrade a computer, but they dont realise, the cheaper they go (esp a free one) the more likely it is to have the smell of melting silicon when you power it up.

16. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Alright, thanks.

Now to the Motherboard!

Motherboard!

recommendations? I am not limited to Windows SP1 anymore!

Btw where can I view that I have SP2? I mean I installed like 18 security updates. Oh and I was able to download IE7 through SP2 verification.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you don't like using windows update, you can get the installer for SP2 here:
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html
    As for the mobo, I can't say any more than what I already have, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. Even if it's only v1.3 not 3.3.

18. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You want MORE recomendations? Go with the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, either revision 1.3 or 3.3.

BTW getting stuff shipped to you isn't that bad. Get it from Mwave if you have to.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  20. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member