1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC hardware sales and good deals (RETAIL or ONLINE sales NOT personal sales) ....

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by greensman, Jun 11, 2008.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

heres the biggest deal in town. this is way to sweet. cant pass this one up no way no how. cant beleive someone would have this so cheap. it might even be considered stealing in some places..slap me silly and get me to the bank....oh you want the link...lol

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008662

you cant beat this anywhere

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Gainward are making ATI cards? since when? £170 for a 4870 is certainly nice...
    The GTX280 slips further down in price I see, it's now finally equal to the cost of two 4850s and getting a dual card motherboard. Still not sold though, too much heat for one card.... :p
    As for the GTX260, as long as the 4870 even exists, let alone if it's cheaper, I'd take the latter.
    Shocking as the cheap 4850 is, it's not in stock yet, but realising how long it'll be before I get a next gen card, I've set my sights on a 4870 not a 4850.

Personally for a 'top brand' 4850, I think this one's pretty good value:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=827816
    and for the 4870:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=836590

£10 extra seems perfectly reasonable for that 'peace of mind'.... :)

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

£10 for the sphhire seems good, but the GB has the same 1 year waranty so IMO id just go for the cheaper one, the sapphire has 2 years.

anyway, i have not had a gfx card for over 6 months,(had 3 now) so to me the cheapest one for me is the best one, BUT i dont particularly liek the stock 4850 cooler, so depending on the his ICEQ price, i might get the stock one and an akasak vortexxx for £130.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

12 months is a retail warranty. OcUK are royal pains in the backside about these, and to be honest, Scan are no better. If in the event the retailer is uninterested in warranty replacements, you go to the manufacturer. Gigabyte have their own RMA system, Powercolor certainly don't, and I don't think companies like Visiontek do either.

I agree that a longer warranty is better though.

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

dang it is out of stock. but like ya said GM thats a good thing at this point...well for me anyway..lol

now i dont mean anything bad when i say this here so please dont take it that way.

what is you guys obsession with these GPU's no matter what thread it is, there has to be a hundred reference's towards a GPU...there is more to a PC than a $400 GPU. i guess its like a guy likeing all of the ODD... lmao

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Because we both want one... lol
    Shaffaaf is soon to buy one, and I will be following suit in the near future. Plus these things are hot buys at the moment with a new PC, so any price cuts we can find will prove useful. We should really start doing it for the US too, I know.

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

haha, becuase i build PCs to GAME on. or i wouldnt bother lol. yeah i dont get the obbsession with a million ODDs for you Burners out there. LOL.

and sam, OcUK in the RMA department have been golden to me, AND i speak to the RMA guys and most of the shop guys on msn, so for ME, i have no problem.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yeah we leave the US out LOL, but im not to clued up about US prices etc. LOL

i cant wait to buy mine, but COD4 maxed with no AA and all texturs to HIGH not EXTRA and i get a constant 60FPS on my HD 2900GT at 1920x1200, so at the moment i am happy, BUT GRID is not so nice, and i need an upgrade for it LOL

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol wel met. I have actually owned four DVD burners in my time, but they've burned less than a dozen DVDs between them, and that's how I like it... :)

OcUK will take RMAs when pushed but it usually means "i want to return x product" "we can't take those, you have to speak to the manufacturer" "It's UK business law to offer a 12 month retail warranty, as quoted... " "Oh, OK then..."
    I get the distinct feeling OcuK prioritise their 'regular customers' so to speak, but the average users get left out somewhat.

I ran COD4 at 2560x1600 all maxed, 4xAA, 16xAF when I had crossfire, and got between 45 and 100fps in the section 'Game Over'. Given the performance of the HD4850, that looks like the sort of performance that can be expected.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rob, think of it this way. Even with all your discussion about DVD burners, the performance gap between a average one and the best one is NOT THAT MUCH.

Now some of us like playing games. That's why we talk about GPUs. The performance gap between older GPUs and newer GPUs is HUGE, and helps feed our addiction.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

first of all the difference in the so called best burner (plextor 710)and a average one there is a big difference in performance.
    second there has only been 2 threads that have talked about drives. the one greensman started and the scan thread i started. we dont go all over every other thread and talk tem up.
    third its just like everything else in the PC world a week after one so called great product is released another is right behind it.
    fourth i didnt mean that as a slam at you guys. i just dont understand the importance of every thread has to wind up being about GPU's thats all. i know you guys like the games thats understandable, but every thread ya go in gets drawn towards GPU's

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

rob, dont take it personally, i certainly didnt, it was ajoke about how much u lot love ur DVD burners, that how we love our gfx cards :p

as i said, to me games for computers is pretty much the only reason why i build computers, not to encode or photoshop etc. its why i have a dual core or quad, why i bought a new monitor why i buy new graphics cards every 4 motnhs rather then upgrading ht mobo or cpu or ODD ever few months. (thtas one of the reasons i always talk about it, becuase i am constantly upgrading mine, and they are, to ME, the most important part for MY needs :) )

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rob, I didn't take it as a slam or anything. Plus, my laptops DVD drive burns my Xbox 360 games just fine, so I dont care as long as it works!

16. proxyRAX

proxyRAX Member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

18. proxyRAX

proxyRAX Member

There is a rebate for the other one, and it is $5 cheaper. Can you point me to the place where it says it shuts down, cause all I find are good reviews.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, my mistake it was the GameXStream 1KW not the ProXStream:
    http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM0NSwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
    The comments about the frankly absurd noise level of the ProXStream are still valid, however.

That's a stonking rebate on that PSU. I hope it comes from OCZ not ZZF though, because if I remember rightly, ZZR seem pretty poor for rebates.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  20. proxyRAX

proxyRAX Member

Interesting. I guess I will think about it. People seem a bit to sensitive about the noise level thing, it is not like you plug your headphones into the power supply...

I'll go see if anyone put up the decibels of it and decide. Seems like a good deal though. Anyway, I will think about it. Corsair does seem more reliable.