1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamada dvx 6600

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Daljinec, Mar 11, 2004.

1. baldrick

baldrick Member

I had problems with LOTR and other divx when it was encoded with 800 horizontal resolution. Also bad interlacing of audio makes movie unwatchable. All this works fine on PC, but not on a player, but it should be understandable. I am more annoyed with subs, because even after converting to srt and renaming and burning on a new cd, sometimes it doesn't work, when it works it is not centered and includes funny characters for EOL, does not include national characters etc..

2. gdhgdh

gdhgdh Member

I've just received a DVX-6600 today, and just upgraded it to the Aug 4th Firmware (6600r4.zip) but I am unable to play any MPEG4 movies created using the M$ MPEG4-v2 codec.

I can hear the sound OK but instead of the video I just get the directory browse screen :(

Old DIV3 and newer XVID content works well, but I have hundreds of "MP42" encoded discs that this player won't even touch, irrelevant of the picture size.

Any ideas? (aside from re-encode my entire collection!)

3. retumies

retumies Member

Just upgraded my DVX-6600's firmware to v4 with some quite strange results. The subtitles work just fine, but for some reason the colors went out of balance.

The picture seems to lack cyan tones, so that everything is very reddish and greenish. So far I have only tried S-video output.

The twisted color balance is clearly visible in player's menus as well. They are not neutral grey anymore but greenish in tone.

Anyone else noticed similar effects on their players?
    -----
    Problem solved: Just needed to reset everything to default settings thru setup menu. Colors came immediately back the way they are meant to be.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  4. themre

themre Member

hi...
    i've just bought yamada 6600, but it didn't supported xvid and i can't load subtitles. and i also updated the latest firmware, but it still doesn't work. does anybody has any page of some older firmware? or anybody has any clue, what could be wrong?

5. nhml

nhml Member

Last friday I have received my new DVX-6600 (89€ with 19% tax and shipping included) and until now everyting I have puted on to watch has been played well(DviX, XviD, DVD).
    I haven’t been capable to watch any movie (Divx or XviD) with subtitles, although I haven’t change any subtitle file to the same name as the file movie or is file extension to SRT.
    Strange is that the latest firmware version at disposal to download from yamada web site is the 4º version and my yamada has the 5º version. Weird.

6. JamesM

JamesM Guest

7. Mikey1

Mikey1 Member

Hi guys, I have been reading this forum for a couple of months now! and I recently bought a dvx-6600 which I have upgraded with the latest firmware so that I can use srt files... everything works fine.
    But... has anone else notices that if you are playing a 4:3 aspect video then you have the top and bottom cut off... (tried on over 10 different tvs, 16:9 and 4:3!!) this isnt so much of a problem on most things, it is when Im watching videos which have been subtitled on the actual video stream (not srt subs)..

The only fix I have found is to watch the videos at 1/2 size, which is pretty annoying, does anyone know of a more elegant way around this?

8. covi

covi Member

Stupid question from a beginner: How the hell I see which FW I have on Yamada 6600 ? I have burned the v4 FW but on the burned CD I have 2 files: one 6000 and one 6600 AVG files. Is that OK ?
    covi

9. nhml

nhml Member

you can see your yamada firware version like this:
    Firmware Info.

1. Press the Open button on your player to open the drive tray
    2. Press the Setup button on your remote control
    3. Move cursor to Preferences
    4. Press the 1 button on your remote control
    5. Press the 3 button on your remote control
    6. Press the 6 button on your remote control
    7. Press the 9 button on your remote control

10. adrabu

adrabu Guest

[bold]YAMADA 6600 subtitles[/bold]
    Pells, in order to view the SRT subtitles, the CD must be closed (not only the session). Besides, you can use a subtitles editor (SubtitleWorkShop is just fine) to split the lines larger than 60 characters.
    If these are done, I guess the only thing to be fixed by a newer Firmare is aboul the LeftAlignment.

HTH.

11. pfeito

pfeito Guest

Well.... they could fix the CD/DVD closed requirement also :\... e.g. I dont close DVD's where I have 200 or 300MB left.

12. sc64

sc64 Member

anyone know a way i can get .sub files to play on the yamada. all the .srt files play fine but subs dont seem to be recognised. i have tried to convert with subrip but no joy.

13. felippe

felippe Member

Same problem with my YAMADA DVX-6600: I can see SRT subtitles but no SUB.

My player firmware is:

Version 05.00.03.05
    SUB - VER 0B.00.00.04

Is this the newest or I have to use the 6600r4.ZIP file for updating?

I red on another forum in F.A.Q.:

"My player displays .srt subtitles but .sub dont work. WHy?

There are a few subtitle formats that have .sub extension.

Open the file with notepad or other ASCII editor and see the format of that file. You'll probably see some strange caracters.
    Those subtitles are a special type of subtitles. It isn't a text file. That's why your yamada doesn't show it.

"These vobsub files are produced by a Virtual Dub filter called VobSub. VobSub is used to "rip" the subtitles off of a DVD into the vobsub files. These files can then be used either to create a permanent hardsub on an encoding or used with DirectVobSub to optionally display them when playing the video" in http://abma.x-maru.org/faq/annotated/support.php#support_vobsub

For example, The Bsplayer doesn't suport those subtitles, neither subtitle_workshop. (at the time i'm writting this faq)

The suported .sub must be in this format:

{ShowFrame}{HideFrame} TEXT

example:
    {2744}{2904}"CINEMA PARAÍSO"
    {2944}{3035}Yes, Salvatore Di Vita.
    ..."

My player firmware is:

Version 05.00.03.05
    SUB - VER 0B.00.00.04

Is this the newest or I have to use the 6600r4.ZIP file for updating?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  14. sc64

sc64 Member

thanks for the post. i have reformatted the subs to srt file extension with vobsub - actually very easy and only takes a few minutes. the srt subs play fine in the yamada.

p.s i think you have the newest firmware - fixes a few issues and certainly improves srt playback.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  15. gtaljan

gtaljan Member

hello,
    I just bought a new yamada dvx6600 player and dont know if its possible to use .sub subtitles with any possible firmware??

16. sc64

sc64 Member

gtaljan

the yamada does not play sub files on divx but i have played a couple of dvds where the subs work ok. dont quite understand how this is but surely some bright spark out there will explain.

if you convert the avi file with subs to .srt format with vobsub the film should play fine - all my files have worked. one thing to note is that if the .srt file name has more than 28 characters the yamada does not seem to recognise them. just change the avi file and srt file to the same name with less than 28 characters and it will play ok.

for the record i noticed a much improved playback of .srt files with the new firmware update from the yamada site.

good luck.

17. adrabu

adrabu Guest

sc64,

could you please enlight me on how did you convert the subtitles using VobSub?
    As a matter of facts, I tried to convert from "sub" to "srt" using ReSync (included in VobSub pack) but it did not work for me - the only ones who work are the "srt"s created via SubtitleWorkShop.
    Thanks

18. LoveHate

LoveHate Member

Hello!

I convert subtitles with one extention to another one with Subtitle Workshop!
    It is easy like to open a bottle of beer :)

Today I bought Yamada DVX-6600, and everything works great. I didn't Update FW, because it shows Eastern Europe subtitles :)
    But I must tell, that is a bit annoying, to Get Small Subtitles on DiVX, XViD CDs, and they are not centered, but they are on the left side of the movie.
    Can anyone help me with this?!? How could I make Largest FONTS in Subtitles, and how could I make them Centered?!?

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  19. adrabu

adrabu Guest

LoveHate,

here's something what can make you happy:
    1. the subs are aligned to the bottom of the frame, thus for any frame ratio different from 4:3, they are shown somewhere at the vert-middle of the screen
    2. the subs do not work with MPEG1 or MPEG2 (SVCD like) movies, so don't bother to close those CDs
    3. the subs aren't shown for some combinations of frameRate, frameSize and audioEncoders, nevertheles the video is DivX or XviD...
    As you can see, you may consider yourself happy if only the LeftAlignment bothers you... :)

20. LoveHate

LoveHate Member

Hello!

It seem's that I'm a lucky person :)
    But I noticed one mixed emotions :) between 2 remote Controlls.
    One is for DVX-6600 and another is for my Amlifier :)
    The problem is, when I want to lower the sound on Amplifier, somehow they dont want to do that, but the same time on DVX-6600 the movie goes to 1 TITLE Back :)
    So I can Add Volume, but cant low it with Remote Controll for amplifier :)

I hope that Yamada will made a new FW with subtitles on the center, and that ALL of yours DVDs will show subtitles :)

Thank you!