1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

400gb!? what could u do with some much memory?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Harddrive space not memory.
    2. I can fill 400GB easily. Prolly take me less than two/three months to do. Course im crazy so that factor prolly dont affect everyone.
    3. 400GB isnt that much i run through 480GB in less than one month if i chose to (i did for a bet once) but typically i cycle through half a terabyte every two or three months. You'd be surprised how fast it goes away.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hard drives are often referred to as virtual memory, it's where we have our swap files and paging files but it is secondary storage. Memory is all the shit you see and play with visually on your screen. It allows for adjustments in all kinds of areas in real time, until it runs out, and then it hands the stuff it can't handle off to your hard disk. A faster hard disk translates to faster virtual memory and since the hard disk is often the major bottle neck in a system, which means the faster it is the better it is.

4. Praetor

You mean files on the disc are called virtual memory: I know I might be picky but its a distinction that should be made as I've seen too many people loosely (and incorrectly) interchange the two words :)

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

A minor distinction but a correct one. I stated that, Hard disks are "often referred to as virtual memory" and then cleared it up by going strait to swap and paging files relationship to the hard disk. You however go right ahead and be picky because it keeps me on my toes. Now if it can just get me outside to spend a little more time enjoying my pool instead of my electornics. After all this is suny Florida. Wait! I can't do that my New Plextor PX-712A is expected to arrive at any moment.

I wonder if this is how an alcoholic sounds when they rationalize a reason to have that next drink.

6. Praetor

Im only picky because I once didnt understand the distinction between RAM and harddisk space :p

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I know the distinction but sometimes it's just easier to explain it by presenting the hard disks role in it first.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  8. Praetor

True, good call! :)

9. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

what the hell do u do on ur comp Praetor??...i think i use alot cuz i have 280 gigs (120 and 160 gig)

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Does this mean that this[bold]480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB][/bold]" isn't true? LOL
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  11. Praetor

aXidburn:
    Digital photography stuff, 11MP ... we take about 400-500 shots per session and I need to keep them around for quite some time as my boss and I go over them and sutff. Additionally.... i download. A lot. Enough to get me blacklisted by both local ISPs. Twice.

Sophocles:
    Huh?

12. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

lol

who is we?

13. Praetor

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  14. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

let me ask that again...lol...i mean pictures of what?....400-500 is alloot of pics

15. Praetor

Lets try to stay on topic.

16. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

does anyone know anything about p5 and when its coming out....

17. Praetor

The P5 wont be out until the Prescott has finished its life cycle. The Netburst core has quite a ways to go.

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I can't wait to see what AMD has to offer against the Prescott (once the performance issues are worked out) by the time I'm ready to upgrade.

I've always used Intel silicon, but I've been very impressed with AMD's offerings lately. The FX-53 is one smokin" chip and gets even better when you factor in price.

19. Praetor

So far the Prescott hasnt been anything stellar (from a marketing perspective i think we will be seeing a repeat of the PentiumPro )

20. JSRife

JSRife Guest

My dream Computer would be. A Commodore 64 with 12 inch Monitor.