1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking help... i cant get it...??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by HAUNTED, May 31, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Reading and handson

Click click click.

2. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

I made a discizion :p

- AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    - ABIT NF7
    - 512 MB DDR 400 ( PC 3200 )
    - GeForce FX 5200 128 MB
    - Seagate 120 GB 7200 Rpm 8 MB Cache
    And I`m gonna OC the AMD Athlon XP 2600+ ( 2,08 Ghz ) to AMD Athlon XP 3200+ ( 2,6 Ghz )
    Thank U all for helping me :)
    Later...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I want to clock over my CPU ( AMD Athlon XP 2000+ ) but my brother says i better wont do it..... i dont know an overclock program for my AMD Athlon XP 2000+. plz react with a link for a overclock program :D[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2004
  3. wheelhumm

wheelhumm Guest

what are some good mobos for OCing that wont drain my wallet? I want to get a different case and mobo and then transfer the parts from my dell, so I have better airflow. I just dont want to spend too much on a mobo for OCing!

4. wheelhumm

wheelhumm Guest

Oh, and I was also wondering if anyone thinks water cooling is worth it. I'm not even old enough to get a learners permit for driving, so I dont really have a lot of cash to work with

5. Praetor

The ASUS A7N8X series or the Abit NF7 series

It's good .. but if you want to get exotic cooling you might as well wait and get a vapor unit :) Since you've got a small budget, just get a solid forced-air cooler and you're set

6. wheelhumm

wheelhumm Guest

thanks for the advice

7. wheelhumm

wheelhumm Guest

I checked newegg.com and it looked like a nice mobo, but I forgot to say that I have a P4 Prescott. All of those mobos are Socket A. I'm sorry I didnt say I had a P4!

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Try the Abit IC7 series for socket 478 although I wouldn't recommend overclocking a Prescott since they've been having heat issues even at stock speeds. It's your money though.

9. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

My dad wuz saying under diner,

"If U`r gonna OC, It`s your own risk to do it"

I said before that i tried to OC, but it didn`t make a good change...my CPU wuz only getting slower, from 1,67 Ghz to 1,25 Ghz... It wuz very stupid :(
    But i wan`t a new Mobo and CPU, In the begin I`m gonna look if I can OC easy, if I can I`m gonna try,
    but i don`t want to OC very much, that`s a huge risk to me, cause i did it only once :D And I`m now gonna buy a AMD Athlon 2600+ :D PS and a fitting Mobo :D

bye

10. wheelhumm

wheelhumm Guest

I guess it would probaly be cheaper and safer for me to just buy a cheap Athlon 2500+ and good mobo. I heard that the Athlon XP Barton 2500+ can OC to 3500+ in seconds(From a review on newegg.com) I definitly should get a new case though. I dont think my old mobo will come out of my dell. Dells have bad airflow anyway.

11. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

i have an Elitegroup K7VTA3 V8.0 motherboard (http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7vta3_8.html).

I am also using an AMD Athlon XP 2700+ CPU with a FSB of 333 mhz. (http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3666675)

Do u think that this CPU and/or motherboard are capable of being overclocked?

If not, do u think I can use the scratching out trick (scratch out the pins next to where it says L1)?

Thx!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Customized PC:

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ CPU
    Elitegroup K7VTA3 v8.0 mobo
    Kingston 512 MB DDR DIMM RAM
    XTASY 9200 SE 128 MB AGP Video Card
    Khypermedia 8x DVD+RW Drive
    Mad Dog 16x DVD-ROM drive
    Maxtor 160 GB Hard Drive
    Seal 32-Bit 4 Channel Sound Card
    [/small]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2004
  12. Praetor

Not really.

Wont do much good because the ECS board doesnt allow you much leeway :(

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

@yugioh2me

If overclocking was an after thought then welcome to the crowd. Most of us started after we'ed already pruchased our boards, but we soon learn that overclocking requires planning ahead. You factor in the board, CPU, heatsink and fan, and the memory to make sure that it can all equally take the stress you want to place on it. As an after thought you have to live with what you have.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

In every dialogue and discourse, we must be able to say to those who take offence, "Of what do you complain?"

Pensees Section III: of the Necessity of the Wager[/small]

14. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

Praetor,

I really dont care if it doesnt allow much improvement, but hey, its still something!

Sophocles,

I get what you are talking about and i still want to overclock my CPU. Do u think that these components (check my sig) can or might handle overclocking? If they can, do u know how much Thx!

Anyways, I just bought a new fan :

Thermaltake TR2-M2 Fan

you can configure it to go up to 5600 RPM
    it has a ife of 80000 hours (9 years)
    its rated current is 0.32AMP
    its started voltage is 7 VDC
    its rated voltage is 12 VDC
    the fan's dimensions are 74X74X15 mm
    its power input is 3.84 w
    the full dimension is 70.6X70X45.3 mm

is this good enough to keep the CPU cool enough if I try to overclock it?

Thx
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Customized PC:

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ CPU
    Elitegroup K7VTA3 v8.0 mobo
    Kingston 512 MB DDR DIMM RAM
    XTASY 9200 SE 128 MB AGP Video Card
    Khypermedia 8x DVD+RW Drive
    Mad Dog 16x DVD-ROM drive
    Maxtor 160 GB Hard Drive
    Seal 32-Bit 4 Channel Sound Card
    [/small]

15. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

[bold]AMD ATHLON 64....[/bold]

Info : the Athlon 64, if u have it, or want to buy it read this first !

After watching in a magazine about PC`s... i saw that you can get all the power from Ur Athlon 64 with LINUX... i recommend it after the tests :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]=AMD Athlon XP 2000+ FSB 266Mhz=
    =ASRock K7S8X USB 2.0 4X USB=
    =Club 3D GeForce 5200 FX 128MB TVOUT=
    =Kingston 512MB DIMM PC2700=
    =Windows XP Professional(illegal)=
    =ON Board C-Media AUDIO Drive=[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2004
  16. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

[bold]I get what you are talking about and i still want to overclock my CPU. Do u think that these components (check my sig) can or might handle overclocking? If they can, do u know how much Thx![/bold]

Surtenly you can.... get in Ur BIOs go to Frequencies and try some things :)( if U know what ur doin' ) and OC it...but not too much, it doesnt make a difference... if it does.. try to OC your memory to, but check Ur temperature for safety )

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

yugioh2me

I think that Praetor's right. Your CPU is capable of being overclocked if your motherboard supported it but your motherboard is only rated for a 333 MHz Frontside bus and you’re running that now as a native spec of your CPU. Headroom with your frontside bus is needed for you to overclock your CPU so unless you can raise it above 333 MHz you're stuck. There are software overclocking solutions but I’m not recommending them. Wish I had better news but well there you have it.

18. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

what kinds of software solutions??