AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

'Rocksmith' will teach gamers how to really play guitar

news article released on:

Following the decline in sales for music and rhythm games like 'Guitar Hero' and 'Rock Band,' Ubisoft has announced the launch of its first ever "authentic guitar game," dubbed Rocksmith. Rocksmith will be available for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC and will allow gamers to plug in their real electric guitar and learn how to play via the game. The gameplay will adjust automatically to match ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 72 messages.

Since you do not play the real deal you have no clue.
I've said this time and time again.. To be a real musician there's no shortcuts.

Doesn't matter what instrument you play or want to play.. You have to shut off people who do not have a need to play. and practice everyday for hours a day. Do you understand what I'm try to say?
Bottom line guy.
If you're just doing music to amuse yourself pick-up a Ukelele as far as I'm concerned. Do not expect to be a real musician if you want to press buttons and call yourself a musician. That's not the way it works.
Jeff
AfterDawn Advertisement
Rocksmith is not meant to be a "miracle method" for learning guitar; but a learning tool. The game isnt going to be a musician factory, but it will teach some people the basics, and give some people the spark neccesary to set them on the path of a life of music. Yes, this will be a much easier way to learn than was available 30 years ago, but the fact that its easier doesnt make it wrong. I am a guitarist, but im also excited about a "game" that will allow me to expand on my skills, improve on my weaknesses, and open me up to styles im not used to. A true musician should be excited about a way to get more people to experience the love of music that we have. They shouldnt be chastising people that want to try.
Originally posted by dEwMe:
Wow I just don't see this selling much...

Yea right this will sell awesomely I am sure of it

cy
Serious Beast Unverified new user
Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:
Originally posted by oivas:
This might sell...but I'd really hate seeing guitarists pop up everywhere...we have enough of them anyway, beginners, pros and everything in between...this game might make a pro out of anyone with access to an xbox or a ps3...but,as guitarists, we feel really special that we do stuff that not many others do(yes, I'm aware that there are millions of guitarists out there but it really isn't much compared to the world's non-guitar-playing population)...but thanks to rocksmith, all us guitarists...we're all screwed...big time!
Well guy, really talented musicians are far and few in between.
10x10+6 waanabes does not represent the amount of true musicians

It takes hours, days, years to master your instrument.
Jeff
HAHA! Jeff your just pissed because technology is going to allow people to learn faster than what you had to go through! Sorry dude that's just the way it is... Get with the times ;P
OneMeanDragon Unverified new user
Just another game that dosent support Bass Guitar like the last RB, I personally wont buy this game either.
"HAHA! Jeff your just pissed because technology is going to allow people to learn faster than what you had to go through! Sorry dude that's just the way it is... Get with the times ;P"

Believe what you want to. It takes time and dedication to become a REAL musician. Whether it may be classical, Jazz, funk, Soul or Rock and Roll. Reading music is essential in becoming an accomplished musician. No short cuts like kids try to take today.

Jeff

Cars, Guitars & Radiation.
fatherrock Unverified new user
The difference between GH/RB/power gig and rocksmith given a few
years of game play.

would be like having a kid say..look at my high score on
(fill in some skateboard game) and having the second kid
take the first kid outside and do all his in game tricks
on a real skateboard.

There used to be only 1 choice...pretend to play guitar on the
xbox. Now there is 2... pretend, or learn for real.

Folks can choose what they want, good reasons either way.
But, you really cant compare them, they are 2 completely
different kinds of things.
laughingatidiots Unverified new user
Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:
Originally posted by KillerBug:
Originally posted by oivas:
This might sell...but I'd really hate seeing guitarists pop up everywhere...we have enough of them anyway, beginners, pros and everything in between...this game might make a pro out of anyone with access to an xbox or a ps3...but,as guitarists, we feel really special that we do stuff that not many others do(yes, I'm aware that there are millions of guitarists out there but it really isn't much compared to the world's non-guitar-playing population)...but thanks to rocksmith, all us guitarists...we're all screwed...big time!
Not all guitarists are screwed, only the generic no-talent kind that can easily be replaced by someone who has played a video game for a few hours...and if you know any people who fit that description, then they either need to practice using the video game, or quit torturing their audiences with their poor performance.

I would think that real guitarists would welcome this...it is a video game that uses your favorite controls, and everyone else will take years to catch up. Plus, there will probably be online high score tables; so you can prove that you are better at doing everything than everyone else (or maybe so you can be shamed for your bad playing, it is all up to you).

One thing that they need to do is to create a multisystem lobby for this game...360 and PS3 users should be able to meet up and play together, and if there is a PC version, then that should share the same lobby.
Not so sure about that.
I still jam with my buddy Tony. We both started playing in bands since 1965.
First song I learned..... House of the rising sun.
It would be nice if there were more dedicated musicians. But they're too busy playing with the Xboxes and Playstations. Wonder if they ever get any excersize.
Maybe Sony or Microsoft will come out with software that will pay the person with the most pair shaped body award.
Jeff
If you are going to try and be condescending to people maybe you should learn to spell!!! exercise and I think you mean PEAR shaped bodies
You're a little late pal.

Even a genius like you can make a mistake.

Jeff
ramzeee68 Unverified new user
If anyone HAS used this, can you give me insight? My girlfriend wants to learn how to play but we don't have the money for weekly lessons and thought this might be an interesting alternative (not to mention cost effective). Thanks!
Free online lessons tailored for beginners.
http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

Important things need to be learned that using a smartphone with a phoney neck can't teach you.

Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Nov 2011 @ 5:03

Rocksmith = You plug your own "real" guitar into the XBOX. Thus, its not "pushing buttons". It is a game. It is not the "end all" for teaching guitar. Nobody ever said it was "the answer" for teaching guitar. At least it isnt yet. Not to say that someday there may be more sophisticated software which CAN do it all. But for now, it is a game that may help jump-start interest in playing the guitar. Its all good for everyone. Peace be with you... I hope.
NO! Don't give in to the temptation! This zombie thread only wants....."Braaaainzzz!" *shamble, shamble, GRAB!, gnawgnawgnaw...**
"NO! Don't give in to the temptation! This zombie thread only wants....."Braaaainzzz!" *shamble, shamble, GRAB!, gnawgnawgnaw...**"

Hahahah,what?
Maybe English is your second language.. ;)

Jeff

"Rocksmith = You plug your own "real" guitar into the XBOX. Thus, its not "pushing buttons". It is a game. It is not the "end all" for teaching guitar. Nobody ever said it was "the answer" for teaching guitar. At least it isnt yet. Not to say that someday there may be more sophisticated software which CAN do it all. But for now, it is a game that may help jump-start interest in playing the guitar. Its all good for everyone. Peace be with you... I hope."

Hopefully when you refer to plugging in to the XBox it is an acoustic/electric.

Electric guitar is really jumping the gun.

Oh course the new generation wants fast, fast results without much forethought. It saddens me. :(

Jeff

LetItRaaang Unverified new user
the game is a lot of fun. I ran through like 30 songs on the first day. you can model different cabs and head and guitars and effects and trip out on your sound and hey even if you already know half the songs (you wont, because the set list is pretty modern) every one loves trophies/achievements

Lol that fat gamer cliche. and cmon guys you have to remember that SOME of us are ADULTS. keep all the stereotypical bs and flaming to yourselfs.
LetItRaaang Unverified new user
the game is a lot of fun. I ran through like 30 songs on the first day. you can model different cabs and head and guitars and effects and trip out on your sound and hey even if you already know half the songs (you wont, because the set list is pretty modern) every one loves trophies/achievements

Lol that fat gamer cliche. and cmon guys you have to remember that SOME of us are ADULTS. keep all the stereotypical bs and flaming to yourselfs.
It's simply elitist BS to complain about this game, for making it "too easy", somehow, to learn guitar. Sure, most people won't get anything real from it but a good time - worthy of itself - but a few people, who otherwise might not have, are going to find the game useful to kick-start their talent/desires.

Now, can we let this thread die..?
Sales tanked for this assistant.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/65...ext-year-Forums

Even in it's simplicity helping potential musicians learning how to play the guitar without having to spend endless hours doing scales hasn't gone well for Ubisoft. It seems the attention span of the me generation is about five minutes long.

Folks there is no free ride learning an instrument. It takes time, dedication and practice, practice, practice.

Jeff

well jeff it depends on the person.some people pick up an instrument they have never played before and can play it very well within a short time, others practise an instrument for there whole life and are mediocre at best.

edit:just to let you all know i dont think a video game can teach someone to play guitar.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Mar 2012 @ 1:27

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
jasonnewplay Unverified new user
so, has anyone played this yet? I know it plugs into USB. I plug my guitar into USB on my pc with the. same kind of lead but there's a hell of a part second delay between hitting the strings and the sound coming out the pc speakers. Am wondering if there's any delay playing through the Xbox? Btw sounds like a proper improvement on a guitar hero theme. A game that uses a real instrument as a controller sounds a great idea, but what's it sound like comin out the tv? Anyone?
Dude, start a new thread. This one is nearly a year old.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.