AfterDawn: Tech news

Report: PS4 is codenamed Orbis, no used games allowed

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 28 Mar 2012 11:10 User comments (75)

Report: PS4 is codenamed Orbis, no used games allowed According to Kotaku, the successor to the PlayStation 3 is codenamed "Orbis" and will be released in 2013.
The details "come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publicly about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with us before," says Kotaku.

Orbis in itself does not mean too much, standing for "circle" or "ring" in Latin. The site speculates, however, that it could be called Orbis Vita, which in turn means "the circle of life." The PS Vita, Sony's newly released handheld, could have a large part in the next-generation console if this is true.

Adding to confirmation of "Orbis" is the active developer portal. Just like vita.scedevnet.com is the portal for Vita devs, orbis.scedev.net leads to a working address.

Some bad news on the front of gaming is that the Orbis will not be backwards compatible with PS3 games, nor will it allow used games. The console (and your PSN account) will lock out games already attached to other people's consoles. This rumor is start to steam roll, after sites speculated Microsoft was working on a similar scheme.

The specs were very, very vague, but developers are being told to work on a AMD x64 CPU and a AMD Southern Islands GPU. Says Kotaku: "The PS4's GPU in particular, we're told, will be capable of displaying Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160, which is far in excess of the needs of most current HDTV sets. It'll also be capable of playing 3D games in 1080p (the PS3 could only safely manage 3D at 720p)."

If accurate, the PS Orbis Vita will be released in time for the holidays of 2013.

Previous Next  

75 user comments

128.3.2012 23:31

PS4 = EPIC FAILURE

228.3.2012 23:55

I buy used games a lot so this would kill me. Hope the next xbox isn't the same.

328.3.2012 23:56

Kotaku = EPIC FAILURE

429.3.2012 00:01

They must be crazy

529.3.2012 00:18

2013 release..yeah whatever

629.3.2012 00:51

Yeah you hear a different rumor every other day. So don't hold your breath.

729.3.2012 01:47

Orbis sounds retarded... I'd not buy simply because of the name.

829.3.2012 01:53

And I'm sure if xbox and gay orbis go the non used game route I'm sure that would hurt gamefly & stop. It's annoying now that ea has their ten dollar game pass but who would buy a game knowing that they are stuck with it even if it's crap because it becomes less than an expensive coaster when you cant even trade it in. I'll go straight to pc if this is real.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Mar 2012 @ 1:54

929.3.2012 02:18

Circle of life may refer to being compatable with all previous playstations, kotaku is probably wrong anyway

1029.3.2012 02:40

So Sony going to make us repay for PS1,PS2,PS3 games again from PS Store since we can't transfer it to PS4?

So I guess Sony doesn't care much if we start jail breaking ps3 once again ...

This will not work if Sony releases new handheld every year like Nintendo keep doing and sucks for those who already own psvita and I bet that PSvita will cost 150.00 or 180.00 before the new one comes out~

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Mar 2012 @ 2:44

1129.3.2012 05:10

Originally posted by oneguy:
So what about Wii?? Hope you didn't buy one of those, then!

1229.3.2012 05:58

Originally posted by DarthMopar:
Originally posted by oneguy:
So what about Wii?? Hope you didn't buy one of those, then!
sounds better than Playstation Orbis.

Gamestop
Gamefly
Redbox

will stop renting/selling video games if this true... glad Nintendo not doing this since it was confirmed old wii games will work on their new consoles.

well gamestop might stop selling used games that is but continues to sell new games.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Mar 2012 @ 5:59

1329.3.2012 07:55

I think the new games only is the way to go, but there needs to be better protection against games that suck( %70 of them ).

1429.3.2012 09:05

The answer to sony is simple! dont buy the new games console! Its stupidity in the extreme you pay a lot for your hardware ie ps3 whatever buy legit games discs then are not allowed to buy secondhand games once you are fed up of them? When will sony and microsoft and others stop trying to impose what they like on consumers? and eroding peoples rights , we have had drm and other digital rights built into all manner of goods tvs and blu ray included , enough is enough! boycott the next one they bring out if this is the case!

1529.3.2012 09:50

i think they're doing this because of privacy... next thing to go is pc gaming that works only for your computer even when you have the code license even when you uninstall the game from the first computer that you put the game in.

1629.3.2012 12:18

just like when the Vita was going to use the same thing & a special layer on blurays on PS3 would stop piracy a load of rubbish. will wait for the FACTS probably the same guy who is saying xbox is doing it.

sounds like a old Move code name.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Mar 2012 @ 12:22

1729.3.2012 12:34

So, the mantra for the 'next gen' crowd for our 21st century generation is "not backward compatible"... or should that be pronounced "suck it"?

Again, the consumer has the voice here, yet they do nothing. This Needless Markup approach to pricing electronics (or anything else for that matter) into the stratosphere under the guise of 'what the market will bear' has been targeted at the impressionable youth for eons now. For so long has this marketing ideology worked it has conditioned us to consume & spend on our kids at least into our 40s.

In a manner of speaking, it kind of sways our common sense of descent spending habits. I'm not saying "don't have your toys", but this BS of not "ALLOWING" you to continue to play games you already spilled $60 for, to work on another machine? Which COULD easily accommodate? We're not talking about a turntable playing a CD here.

Why haven't they (Sony, MS, any DVD, VCR manufacturer, etc...) tried to shut down every pawn shop on the planet for profiteering from the resale of the game systems or playback devices of music for the same reason? Their all proprietary devices for that same purpose as well & they have resale value that the vendor is not reaping value from. Same could be said of used car lots as well.

Seems to me there is a lot of selective bartering going on here & they know the law. They want their bottle & can't have it. Most consumers have a computer that blows everything they produce away. All these console manufacturers should should go back to making the games, controllers & take their chances like the rest. Offer their wares bravely at a competitive price for once that might actually stifle the threat of piracy & they could actually see the record profits they so desperately want...

But then who the hell am I... I've only been right 85% of the time.

1829.3.2012 14:56

dont buy it till its hacked then download all the games off the net just like every other console that came out..screw gamestop and "video rental stores" who overcharge for the crap rentals anyways.

1929.3.2012 15:00

It would be absolutely detrimental for sony ps4 sales if they build this ps4 and not allow used games to be played on it as well as backward compatibility of ps3 games. I would say that this will kill sony and also microsoft sales if it were the case. there is no way i would even think about purchasing a ps4 if it could not play used games. foolish idea and will seriously hurt their sales in a big way.

2029.3.2012 16:22

I can understand with the no backwards compatibility, as that would only raise costs. The big reason why the PS3 can't play PS2 games is that they changed the CPU. That's why the ones that had the backward compatibility cost more, they had to put the processor from the PS2 in the PS3. They wont be using the cell processor anymore in future PS consoles. I just hope it's a rumor about the games being tied to your console cause that is just BS. I think if it does happen it will hurt a lot of sales. I know if it is in there next gen consoles I wont be buying them. I'd rather upgrade my HD5850 when the time comes and do all my gaming on the PC. The only way I would buy the console with the anti-used game protection is if game costs went down $20-$30 for new games. If I have to still pay $60+ here's my middle finger saluting you.

2129.3.2012 18:20

Just a rumor guys, If they (sony or microsoft) try to pull this off they will end up losing money, period. Most people simply can't afford the expense. If they wish to stay relevant they will have to compromise or die.

2229.3.2012 19:54

rumours...

2330.3.2012 02:15

What if you don't have internet...how is the ps4 going to check to see if a used game is attached to a psn account?

2430.3.2012 02:17

Originally posted by papaace13:
What if you don't have internet...how is the ps4 going to check to see if a used game is attached to a psn account?
the code inside the disc game and you can't have psn account if you don't have internet in the first place.

2530.3.2012 02:19

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
the code inside the disc game and you can't have psn account if you don't have internet in the first place.
thats my point....they cant check if you have a used game in your console unless the console is connected to the internet...

2630.3.2012 02:24

you can disconnect your internet to run a game if its a used game.so far so are that many rumours its hard to keep up.give it a few days im sure we will hear more rumours.someone should contact sony and find out what are rumours and what is really happening.

2730.3.2012 02:25

unless it saves the code onto the console just like system update with different comes then the internet no needed but people will jail break it to allow it haha... unless they making it where psn is needed just like you said but not everyone has internet.

I mess up with quoting some how it double quote itself ... suck at editing sorry hehe

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
you can disconnect your internet to run a game if its a used game.so far so are that many rumours its hard to keep up.give it a few days im sure we will hear more rumours.someone should contact sony and find out what are rumours and what is really happening.

as long as we still can charge controllers through usb same usb kind... if we have to pay to charge controllers like MS did that for 360 and if they decided to take out wifi and add it back on later, I'll be pissed!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Mar 2012 @ 2:37

2830.3.2012 02:59

I find it strange that people would even think the next lot of consoles would even have a disk drive at all.

I've seen stuff about the next xbox not having one so you will have to buy/download all games you wanted anyway.

This is where it's headed anyway the PC has been doing this for the last 10 or so years. with steam and other downloaders, the PC games in a store can't be installed without steam or some sort of net program requiring the game code to be logged and that's it really, you can only download via that log in or use the game with that log in.

Doing anything else and the game won't work anyway.

It would seem the console people are a bit slow on what will happen with disk games, they will end up going and the game stores will go away as well never to be seeen again, or will only be online stores never to be seen in a shopping mall ever again.

This has happened with Music where music stores are pretty much gone and the only way to get music now is via the net.

Same deal with movies but the movie studios are holding off because they will make less money when they don't have any control over the middle guy with sales of movies.

PC games are pretty much gone these days from game stores and it's only the consoles games that is holding them around the second hand market is just a money makers but I don't see many people buying second hand games anyway I only have 2 second hand games myself everything else is brand new and I've been gaming for a good 25+ years now.

been through it all and nothing really new has happened in gaming for the last 15 or so years, even the monition stuff is old hats was done back in the early 90's the newest thing is that online gaming where it's streamed.

you never really own anything on that platform no matter what you pay all up for the box or games.

2930.3.2012 03:20

Again, I think it's privacy so people can't copy the disc and share it online.
I bet they just doing this just to get people to buy more hard drive and I hope they allow 3rd party still rather than their own hard drive just like ms 360 which is limited which is dumb by the way.

Hard drive companies will make lots of money if this comes true that if console is allowed more than the limit like I stated above.

It would be smart if console comes with hard drive like it always been if they're going to make this rumor is true.

In fact, I think PSvita doesn't come with the memory stick just the one with the first bundle has it.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Mar 2012 @ 3:21

3030.3.2012 04:44

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
There not gonna say crap until they want the info released. I would not say anything either, it's all about having the next big thing or having the edge and they don't want to let the cat out of the bag. I think for a fact the anti-used game is just some BS made up by someone. It would be a huge mistake for Sony MS or Nintendo to ever implement that sort of system.

3130.3.2012 04:47

this will crash the server if they decided to make it downloads only

3230.3.2012 17:15

Now we're all starting to imply that console manufacturers are thinking about incorporating (or asking) that gamers save all their games to a hard drive on their game machines? that's probably not going to go over well either.

Seeing as they want to put tiny assed laptop hard drives on these things, that are limited to 1TB at the moment & this would mean that guys 'could' start trading these around as well. Not to mention the fact all the competition with the "clouds" out there. Yet another beautiful idea just waiting to blow up in their collective corporate faces.

3330.3.2012 19:26

Never bought a PS3. I don't intend to. I won't buy the next generation either. Certainly not from what I'm hearing! Sorry, but not allowing used games is VERY Underhanded. You just put another nail in your coffin $ony!

Probably won't even emulate the PS3 when that's possible. There's only one game I'm interested in anyhow...

And of course this could be a rumor ;)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Mar 2012 @ 7:28

3430.3.2012 21:52

I doubt they're this incredibly stupid. Doing such a thing would push the consumer base to either (a) commit to this crap, or (b) move to PC. Nobody with half a brain is going to continue paying the increasing price for a locked down console when it's getting close to that of a PC. Personally, this BS would definitely push me away from consoles for good. Consoles just can't compete with the open ended-ness of PCs. Consoles were great when they started and gave a good gaming experience to those that couldn't afford a PC. Nowadays though, they're almost as expensive and are still as limited as ever. Shoot, we can't even do stuff like Portal 2 custom maps on console. Microsoft, Sony, and yes, Nintendo are killing the market and can't even see it past their greed. Doing crap like this is just committing to the path and giving the consumer an ultimatum; knowingly take this crap or move up.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Mar 2012 @ 9:53

3530.3.2012 22:46

Hackers alert coming in a near future to unlock PS3 and Xbox.

3631.3.2012 08:18

Gaming stores will be around for a while, not everyone has a ps3. This isn't going to kill the industry, not in the near future.

3731.3.2012 10:19

What if GM or the DMV said you can't buy used cars any more? I am sure this is just rumor at this point. In this economy not allowing people to buy used games would really cripple the video game industry, not help it. I think it would also kill companies like gamefly and gamestop. The trade in element is what is keeping these stores alive. If I had to purchase all my games new, why go to the store when you will probably be able to download it right off the console anyway?

I wont buy these next gen consoles if this is true. Back to PC gaming.

3831.3.2012 14:01

Originally posted by 8686:
What if GM or the DMV said you can't buy used cars any more? I am sure this is just rumor at this point. In this economy not allowing people to buy used games would really cripple the video game industry, not help it. I think it would also kill companies like gamefly and gamestop. The trade in element is what is keeping these stores alive. If I had to purchase all my games new, why go to the store when you will probably be able to download it right off the console anyway?

I wont buy these next gen consoles if this is true. Back to PC gaming.

Who said that you would not be allowed to buy used games? Not everyone will own a ps4 and many people still do not own a ps3, used game sales will not go anywhere anytime soon...

3931.3.2012 17:23

What bothers me the most about no used games is that I just can't take it over to a friends house to play. I play by myself sometimes, but mostly in a group, I don't want to have to take and set up my console to play one game. That would be a regression.

Having resale value is a value that should be accounted for in the price of games. They probably won't drop the price, but they should be cheaper than the usual.

401.4.2012 18:49

I think they got it wrong and it should be the Circle of Failure.

411.4.2012 21:43

Oh you guys didn't hear?

The idea is to push a controversial idea, and guess what? Surprise surprise! We DON'T represent 99% of the gaming community. And, they will execute the idea REGARDLESS of whether the people like it. And, they will like it, eventually. It will become normal.

Just like the government (US) spends our money with zero accountability is 'normal'.

Remember when Microsoft forced Vista down people's throats even when they protested? This is not any different.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Apr 2012 @ 10:00

421.4.2012 21:46

Originally posted by tatsh:

Remember when Microsoft forced Vista down people's throats even when they protested? This is not any different.
Nope. I don't remember. I ran windows XP, and then windows 7. Nothing in between :p Windows 8 probably won't get my thumbs up either. And neither will the so called Orbis...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Apr 2012 @ 9:48

432.4.2012 04:50

I think they may be some truth about the used game scenario because Game and Gamestation went into administration last week briefly. There seems to be an orchestrated effort by the banks to squeeze finances on used game retailers. This would leave supermarkets or large media outlets to sell full priced games only. If Sony and Microsoft go down this route then I could see the new Nintendo Console selling quite well - Or PC's sales with console emulation really excelling. Lets wait and see though.

442.4.2012 10:55

Originally posted by omegaman7:
I ran windows XP, and then windows 7. Nothing in between :p Windows 8 probably won't get my thumbs up either. And neither will the so called Orbis...
Other than IT garbage & was forced to learn Vista, I was right there with you. I'm still kinda dreading 8 for the same reasons previously mentioned & what the hell is Orbis...?

Originally posted by TrinUK:
- Or PC's sales with console emulation really excelling. Lets wait and see though.
I would most certainly like to see this come to fruition. God knows the games were originally developed on computers to begin with. Albeit, more heartier machines than the average home user will readily see in a lifetime, but no reason the console manufacturers couldn't sell a PC emulator at a third of the price of their consoles to the hardcore PC gamer.

You know there would still be a market for their controllers & accessories. So what would be the real problem (of course I probably know the answer, but open the complaint department anyway)?

452.4.2012 11:22

Originally posted by tatsh:
Oh you guys didn't hear?

The idea is to push a controversial idea, and guess what? Surprise surprise! We DON'T represent 99% of the gaming community. And, they will execute the idea REGARDLESS of whether the people like it. And, they will like it, eventually. It will become normal.

Just like the government (US) spends our money with zero accountability is 'normal'.

I don't remember it either because I never used vista. Once again, no one is forcing anything. You can continue to play ps3 until titles run out or go the pc route or just get a ps4 and play both. Its not really that big of a deal.

462.4.2012 17:29
mfx3
Unverified new user

Hope these rumors are just rumors...what a slap in the face to the gaming community. If PS4 doesn't allow for used games, I'll buy the Xbox console. If the next Xbox doesn't allow for used games either, I'll just go outside and start living my life.

472.4.2012 18:06

I just don't believe this crap about "no used games allowed" that violates Fair Use and how would they implement that unless ALL games were digital only?

483.4.2012 04:24

Originally posted by hearme0:
I just don't believe this crap about "no used games allowed" that violates Fair Use and how would they implement that unless ALL games were digital only?
It could be possible if the drive somehow marked the disc with a unique code. Digital online games would be a much easier exercise.

The developers or console makers probably wont see this as a violation of fair use because you can buy rare Neo Geo games for over £1000 and Snatcher on the Mega CD for an average of £180. They feel they are losing out on such sales in the used market and want to have full control of their software/future re-sales when the console life comes to an end. I think the whole idea stinks like sewage treatment paste on toast.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Apr 2012 @ 4:25

497.4.2012 23:13
PatHenry
Unverified new user

This was an anonymous source. Not playing used games would sound like something a game company would do. If they were a publisher. the only reason they would do this is if they are selling the system at a loss.
Don't grasp at rumor straws, the ultimate result is a worthless PR response or stunt.

5010.4.2012 13:29
joejoe28
Unverified new user

wouldn't this kill companies like game fly or electronic boutique? I like renting and buying used games because if they suck, I don't end up wasting so much money.

5112.4.2012 01:33
DivergentFlames
Unverified new user

If Shitbox does this The sales wont be too great but anyways shitbox 720 will be just as good as the ps3

5212.4.2012 05:00

Originally posted by DivergentFlames:
If Shitbox does this The sales wont be too great but anyways shitbox 720 will be just as good as the ps3
I own both consoles and I have to say the 360 is better than the PS3 in quite a few ways but graphically they are very close - some PS3 games do outshine the 360 graphically such as God of War III. The 360 starts up and shuts down faster, Microsoft have added features instead of removing them and the online gaming is far better. Microsoft had a bad start with the RROD but the hardware issues are sorted. Sony on the other hand had a slow sales start with a very pricey unit, removed the Other OS feature - something many of us used not to mention Sony restricted access to certain Hardware components in the other OS. They also had big issues with it's online features including security. Yes the PS3 does have advantages over the 360 but Sony have not done that well in this round. Sony in general is losing billions and they should ask themselves why that is.

Blu Ray was pretty much the main selling feature of the PS3 rather than the gaming console itself. Sony did this to corner the Blu Ray market and kill off HD DVD which they successfully achieved. The PS3 as good and fun as it is - is an over priced disappointment.

5320.6.2012 18:01
DivergentFlames
Unverified new user

Nope your wrong. PS3 is better and xbox is still missing features. Graphically ps3 is better. Xbox's dashboard suck. Microshit never fixed RROD, No Mgs4, FFXlll comes on 2 discs (Because 360 can't handle the graphics and content), 60% failure rate, No 1080p support, Now web browser, And its not even a circle. The only thing ps3 lacks is cross game chat but we still have voice chat. 360 just sucks

5421.6.2012 04:34

Originally posted by DivergentFlames:
Nope your wrong. PS3 is better and xbox is still missing features. Graphically ps3 is better. Xbox's dashboard suck. Microshit never fixed RROD, No Mgs4, FFXlll comes on 2 discs (Because 360 can't handle the graphics and content), 60% failure rate, No 1080p support, Now web browser, And its not even a circle. The only thing ps3 lacks is cross game chat but we still have voice chat. 360 just sucks
LOL.... Sales figures speak for themselves and MS did better. You also conveniently avoided the poor online gaming issues, YLOD, Blu-Ray drive failures, noisy fan/ heat issues in earlier PS3 models (which I experienced) major security issues, Hard disk installation of games which kills disk space!!!! constant annoying updates when you are about to start some games and false advertising/product description of the PS3 (other OS was removed).
RROD was fixed in later 360 machines when they improved heat dissipation so your statement is inaccurate.

FFXIII issue has nothing to do with "can't handle the graphics and content" the 360 has a DVD drive where as the PS3 has Blu Ray which has much BIGGER storage capacity! This eliminates disk swapping.

Constructive criticism should state both machines are great but both had/have faults and failures.

553.8.2012 21:26
rwatt5931
Unverified new user

I won't buy a PS4, because I have a PC. The gaphics, game library,and basically everything else is so much better on a PC.

564.8.2012 10:06

Is just a name

5718.8.2012 21:59
gr4475
Unverified new user

We buy used games because most games SUCK and are boring in a day or 2, so we can sell them or trade them to keep trying to find a good game. No more. Game prices will NOT drop like they do now...the used game market is what drives down the prices of new games. Now the prices will only drop based on slow sells. Imagine waiting 3 years for that game you have been wanting to drop in price, but it is still $50, and you find you HATE it, even though it got great reviews. CHA CHING....

They will kill the used game market...and all the money INDIVIDUALS can make selling used games. THEY WANT TO MAKE 1000 TIMES THE PROFIT! As if they aren't rich enough?????

BOYCOTT THE NEXT XBOX AND THE PS4!! COME ON LET'S CHANGE THIS! THEY GOT TOGETHER TO SCREW US...LET'S SCREW THEM BACK! It's no coincidence that they BOTH are doing this at the same time. If only one of them did it, they would FAIL and they know it. It's a freaking scam...

586.9.2012 13:06
GTX690
Unverified new user

Originally posted by ivymike:
PS4 = EPIC FAILURE
lol what makes this a joke Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160

my GTX690 1000 dollar GPU at 1600p struggles with BF3 ultra settings

how the hell could a console do any better ?

By next year I will neeed to sli my GTX690 just to keep up with high end graphics

597.9.2012 04:36

Originally posted by rwatt5931:
I won't buy a PS4, because I have a PC. The gaphics, game library,and basically everything else is so much better on a PC.
Which is why EVERYONE should PLEASE keep supporting the PC and keep it alive. Apples plan to kill off the PC with the tablet is so obvious.

607.9.2012 08:36
Richwood
Unverified new user

If you can only play the games on the one console, what happens if your console gets stolen or breaks and you need a replacement console? Your entire games collection is useless. You'd assume Sony have thought about this possibility if they are actually considering implementing this restriction.

617.9.2012 10:54

Apple kill off the PC? Not if I have anything to do about it! Crapple can keep dreaming! Final Cut Pro is the only thing I'm moderately intrigued by...

627.10.2012 01:45
Webs
Unverified new user

This is bull. Not a true rumor. You really think Sony would do that? Hell no. If somehow, I don't know how, this will happen, I'm going to the PC or OUYA

6316.10.2012 14:22
TRUGamer
Unverified new user

Well if they do try to make it so that you can't do the Used games thing then it WILL be manageable.

Example: $5 Bucks to unlock a used game via online options.
How so Ever... even doing that is gonna kill their sales.
Sure some idiots will buy it just because, but Germany was once upon a time a REALLY good example of a bunch of people following a shitty idea.

As you can see from the posts here, most of us wont support that kinda Slander.

Sony wake the fuck up.
XBox... learn from this before its too late.

6417.10.2012 08:31

Originally posted by gr4475:
We buy used games because most games SUCK and are boring in a day or 2, so we can sell them or trade them to keep trying to find a good game. No more. Game prices will NOT drop like they do now...the used game market is what drives down the prices of new games. Now the prices will only drop based on slow sells. Imagine waiting 3 years for that game you have been wanting to drop in price, but it is still $50, and you find you HATE it, even though it got great reviews. CHA CHING....

They will kill the used game market...and all the money INDIVIDUALS can make selling used games. THEY WANT TO MAKE 1000 TIMES THE PROFIT! As if they aren't rich enough?????

BOYCOTT THE NEXT XBOX AND THE PS4!! COME ON LET'S CHANGE THIS! THEY GOT TOGETHER TO SCREW US...LET'S SCREW THEM BACK! It's no coincidence that they BOTH are doing this at the same time. If only one of them did it, they would FAIL and they know it. It's a freaking scam...
Ake your knowledge along with a group of braniacs and build your own...

6517.10.2012 13:40

I see now why sites close the comments section after a period of time...

6625.10.2012 05:42

Not a surprised really; just another example of how these companies don't give a flying sukupuoli about their consumers. I hear the Xbox 720 is going to be the same way. Hell, even if you can play used games on your console, you may need to ask the copyright holder for permission before you can sell them; at least in the USA (see Wiley vs. Kirtsaeng). Both the “fair use” and “first sale” doctrines are on trial in the “land of the free and the home of the brave”.

Got to love proprietary ecosystems, even Windows is getting locked down; give it time and the PC platform will be the exact same. Apple is already a closed architecture (OS X Mountain Lion, and the App Store) and MS seems to be fallowing suit with Windows 8. Add the “six strike rule”, and your ISP can kill your internet connection on a whim and it will cost you $35 US a pop if you want to challenge it.

Love or hate Open Source Software, but it seems like OSS might be our only salvation in this one folks. I hate to sound “doom and gloom”, but it is a good idea to plan for the worst. Just remember, poor sales are the best way to pressure juggernauts like Sony and MS to do the right thing. Linux has become a nice alternative for the desktop, and it looks like Valve is going to port Steam to run on it. As a gamer, it might be something to consider; especially if the rumors about the PS4 and Xbox 720 are true.

6725.10.2012 07:16

Quote:
The details "come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publicly about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with us before," says Kotaku.
hmmm sounds like a bunch of rumours to me.

6825.10.2012 09:53

If it is legal to sell used games then it should be possible to play them...if what gamespot does it illegal, then they should be shut down. Customers should not be forced to rebuy their games every time their crummy console burns out on them.

It doesn't really matter to me tho...I went PC back when the PS3 was still a viable console simply because I refused to give Sony any more money (they take a cut of every game sold). When a part of my PC breaks (or more likely, becomes outdated) I'll just replace it...and if I decide to start over with a whole new system, I can reinstall all my old games. Plus, I can install whatever apps I want without having to lose online play.

6925.10.2012 11:16

Originally posted by ThermalUnitAlpha:
Linux has become a nice alternative for the desktop, and it looks like Valve is going to port Steam to run on it. As a gamer, it might be something to consider; especially if the rumors about the PS4 and Xbox 720 are true.

You can't sell Steam games, so how does Linux make it any different to what these consoles are rumoured to be doing? Or are the freeloading Linux users going to lobby for free Steam games too? Seeing as they think the world owes them everything they want, for free.

I gave up gaming last year, after 26 years as a professional games developer, and 36 years as a gamer. The industry attitude stinks as of late (and has done for a while saying that), and I hope it drives itself into the ground. It's just a mass of overpriced, bug-riddled, recycled garbage, that isn't worth the prices they charge.

7025.10.2012 22:58

Quote:

You can't sell Steam games, so how does Linux make it any different to what these consoles are rumoured to be doing? Or are the freeloading Linux users going to lobby for free Steam games too? Seeing as they think the world owes them everything they want, for free.

Linux is Open Source software. There are some freely available distributions of Linux out there, but Linux does not have to be free; just Open Source. In other words, the idea is that the source code is available to its users to view, modify, and redistribute as they see fit. There are paid for Linux distributions available on the market such as RHEL and SLED. The philosophy of these distributions is, pay for support not for the Operating System.

Freely available distros such as Fedora and OpenSuse come with no warranty, either implicit or explicit. Maybe there are some "freeloader" Linux users out there, but they are taking their computers into their own hands just like the rest of us. Linux is a user programmed and user maintained OS.

As far as Linux users "lobbying for free software" I am not going to get into a debate about the philosophy behind Open Source Software and Open Source Evangelism. Both of these subjects are beside the point. The real issue at hand is Open System verses proprietary and Closed Systems.

The PlayStation is a closed ecosystem; all software that runs on it is proprietary. The PC architecture was founded on the principles of an open architecture. There is nothing preventing a user from running proprietary software on the PC. On the other hand, there is nothing preventing anyone with the knowledge base that wants to program software for the PC from doing so, and there is nothing preventing those with the knowledge to create hardware to make devices to run on the PC platform.

Linux on the PC represents a completely open ecosystem. STEAM on Linux gives allows gamers to access a considerable amount of games that they wouldn’t normally have access to. Linux represents a great opportunity for both developers and gamers. Just because Linux is Open Source doesn’t mean the software that runs on it has to be. The fact that Linux is Open Source makes it more accessible for everyone. Being open is a good thing, not a bad one.

7123.11.2012 03:39
Keegs1297
Unverified new user

Originally posted by GTX690:
Originally posted by ivymike:
PS4 = EPIC FAILURE
lol what makes this a joke Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160

my GTX690 1000 dollar GPU at 1600p struggles with BF3 ultra settings

how the hell could a console do any better ?

By next year I will neeed to sli my GTX690 just to keep up with high end graphics

Dude. PC screens are limited to a 1920x1080. New innovations in Televisions make the tvs "UHDTVs" the 8k UHDTV is limited to a 7680x4320. The 4k version is widely available at this point in time. Sold by LG, Sharp, and AU optronics. 4k version is limited to 3860x2160. So the consoles will be able to make higher resolutions. PC moniters are not able to handle that high of resolution.

7224.11.2012 20:26

Quote:

Dude. PC screens are limited to a 1920x1080. New innovations in Televisions make the tvs "UHDTVs" the 8k UHDTV is limited to a 7680x4320. The 4k version is widely available at this point in time. Sold by LG, Sharp, and AU optronics. 4k version is limited to 3860x2160. So the consoles will be able to make higher resolutions. PC moniters are not able to handle that high of resolution.
Hate to throw a monkey wrench into your logic; but your logic needs some work. First and foremost, I do not know where you shop for your "PC screens'. There are multiple examples of monitors with higher resolutions than 1920x1080; 2560x1600 is very common, and I have seen at least one example of a monitor capable of reaching a resolution of 2560x2048. This is hardly 7680x4320; then again there us the issue of pixel density.

More importantly, and more the point, it is both easy and practical to use a modern TV as a computer screen. I personally use a Samsung 32inch as my second monitor, and I am quite happy with it. The next gen consoles may have the advantage in the short run, but in the long run the PC always wins out; it is a matter of expandability.

7324.11.2012 23:33

Keegs1297, ThermalUnitAlpha is right & those tv's you are talking about are not cheap.

7425.11.2012 03:10

Those consoles may run at those resolutions, but they run outdated tech! I guarantee they don't look as good as a PC running highly state of the art GPU's, at 2560 x 1600 :p And frankly, 1920 x 1080 looks plenty fine even at 100". Anything beyond that is overkill for the average consumer.

7525.1.2013 05:20
shredlord
Unverified new user

So...if these rumors are true...the PS4 is a massive piece of edited by ddp. It's a brick.

edited by ddp Sony, I lost faith when the released the worthless slim PS3. No backwards compatibility and updates that take ten hours. Now we can't even play games someone else has touched once. Money-grubbing edited by ddp.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jan 2013 @ 9:11

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive