1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Calibration Errors

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Nephilim, Jul 7, 2004.

1. kickbak

kickbak Member

Firmware is very important.
    Your firmware must have the writing strategy for the media that you are trying to burn too.
    Here is what Nero has to say about calibration errors.
    http://www.nero.com/en/FAQs_Error_Messages.html#9

Dust should be blown out, every now and then.
    Some times simple things are overlooked.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  2. waleedwc

waleedwc Regular member

Didnt see this sticky, I have a Sony Vaio Laptop with a dvd burner DV-U50A, but the thing is that it gives me a calibration error if i change the drive is well? anyone know what i should do?
    Does anyone have a disassembly guide for sony vaio laptops?

3. blaktooth

blaktooth Guest

I have a power calibration error happening, and it is strange because it started happening half way through the spindle of media I have. It's a no-name brand, but I'm used them for quite a while and have had no problems, as long as I burn at 2.4x

I did just update my Nero and immediately started getting the error. I have uninstalled and re-installed the older Nero that came with the drive, but am still getting the error.

I have a Memorex DVD+/-RW True 8x and the firmware is the most recent available.

Any ideas on this?

4. exxitar

exxitar Member

Hey guys im a bit of a noob here lol power calibration meaning? pixel brake up or frezes? any ways i have a memorex burner i used to use memorex media and i notice no problems but then i switched to some generic crap and i got some pixel brake up so i switched to ritek white printable for the first few months no problem then i got a bunch of brake ups on the first 10 minutes of the movie and at the . I started to burn at x4 instead of x8 and it help a bit but now it got worse so i was going to buy a sony burned Dl with all the features x16 speed etc .. but then my friend told me he had a pioneer and he had no problems etc... so i bought one yestereday and i plug it in but ZERO it did not work. so i switch it from where my dvd player was and it worked fine i tried to burn with nero and i got error!! 4 disc shot to hell so i tried to use dvd decrypter and it was doing fine untill 49% in to the burn it said error pioneer blah blah blah, and then it prompt me to retry or cancel so i try retry and it kept doing it for about 40 times, it took 8 min to finish the burn at x8 and it finally finish burning succesfully and i try to view the movie and a perfect copy no skips,pix brakes up or frezes i did 6 more movies that way and they all came out perfect exept for the error on dvd decrypter nag so i had to stay infront of my pc to keep clicking the screen untill it finish the burn so perfect burns but the bloody nag of keep clicking by hte way the fastes burn i ever experienced, my memorex would take 30 min at x8 and 45 min at x4 where this pioneer took 8 min at x8 and 12 at x4. So i continued burning i tried to update the firmware but i got a error saying not succesfull then my original firmware i guess got errased so the darn burner stoped working and i had it with it so i sent it back and got a replacement a LITE-ON so my question here is LITE-ON is it reliable or one of the best ?
    Best Double Layer Deal!
    LiteOn Dual Layer Internal 16x DVD+/RW Driv any thougt? sorry for making this a long story just thought id share this with you guys and any other noob like me lol

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  5. exxitar

exxitar Member

Hey blaktooth my memorex does the same thing i think is cause the drive is worn out or spent or something of teh sort go figure change the drive try a new one like NEC maybe or try the LITE-ON ill be getting my new one by monday and if it is any thing like the pioneer clean crisp free of break ups then it is worth avery penny

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@exxitar

you had your entire replies in bold, not good on the eyes so i edited out the bold quotes

7. exxitar

exxitar Member

my deepest apologies for that creaky wont happen again just wanted to make sure it got read sorry about that mate

8. creaky

no worries

9. alinsdau

alinsdau Member

I had the same thing happen with my drive, Nero gave me a power calibration error. After cleaning up my shorts, I looked online and found the user above mentioning blowing off the lens and that worked. I've burned to these Sony CD-Rs tons of times without trouble and then all of the sudden bam! I threw away the potentially troublesome CD, blew off the lens WITHOUT getting chemical on it and it works again. Thank you!

Aaron
    http://www.aaronlinsdau.com

10. blakroach

blakroach Guest

I know that this is an old thread,but I'm having the same prblems as many in this old thread. No one else describe their problem the way mine is but it could be the same issue, I don't know. But when I insert a blank dvd disc, windows does read it as a cd, but once that happens, I hear a whirring sound for about a minute or two than stops. Admittedly i'm not using high grade media, but up until a couple of days ago I never really have since its just movie backing up that I use these disc for and never had any issues before.My question is that since I've cleaned out the drive, or have I? Do I need to remove the drive to clean it? Two I'll be trying A quality media this weekend, as well. If I come out striking out with those methods does that mean The drive is toast.I've made (burned) a couple of music cd's with no problem. I have a pioneer dvd-rw dvr_106d model drive that I use in conjunction with Nero 6. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

11. roryoss

roryoss Member

mine just stopped burning dvds I still use it to burn cds but it just wont burn a dvd uless i use dvd-r and 2x discs which you cant find anymore any thing above that wont burn even if i slow the burn speed down!

12. spud357c

spud357c Member

I'm not getting power calibration errors on my Pioneer 108 but something is happening on the last several movie burns. I'm using RitekG05 media (have for years) with both Nero and DVD Santa and the same thing happens.
    Movies appear to burn fine with no errors and play fine until the last 5/10 minutes when there is extreme stutter, pixilation, loss of sound and freezing. This happens the same on several players so it has to do with the burn - anyone have any ideas ?

13. creaky

very common problem. use decent burn speeds (not saying you aren't), no multitasking during the burn would be sensible, decent media (again, not saying G05 aren't). oh and burning to the outer edge of discs is not a good idea (for instance the default target size for DVD Shrink is 4464MB or thereabouts, i don't even trust that with my top notch 'Verbatim Taiyo Yuden' discs, i stick to 4300MB religiously

14. waleedwc

waleedwc Regular member

My laptop burner wont burn disks whatever i do, only burns to some old dvd-r that you could find long time ago, like 1x ones, otherwise it wont ever burn a game, any suggestions what could be the problem, it reads all disks fine, but doesnt burn, gives power calibration area error sometimes, currently im using a external burner, thats works perfectly, so it has nothing to do with the system, the burner that isnt working properly is also updated to its latest firmware, it is a sony dw-u50a.

15. creaky

@waleedwc -

'fraid i gotta grouch about the huge sig pic (sizes are in the Rules in my sig). but the rest of this thread should glean the answers re Power Calibration errors...

16. waleedwc

waleedwc Regular member

lol, k i get what you mean, i'll change it soon.

17. booondox

booondox Member

BEFORE YOU TRY ANYTHING ELSE, TRY THIS.

All I had to do was open up the tray of my DVD/CDR burner, blew in it real hard with just my breathing, and it worked. We are talking about an easy fix here. Give it a try.

18. roryoss

roryoss Member

@ creaky

Never had a problem using the full 4464mb setting in shrink ! how would you know if this was the/a problem ?? and
    How do you change the setting from using the max <4464> down to say 4300mb ?? Thanx!

19. creaky

the outer edge of the disc is where the dye is uneven on subpar discs.

If you use DVD Shrink, set target size to 4300MB in Shrink's preferences thus avoiding outer edge and not sacrificing much space

20. blakroach

blakroach Guest

I'm writing to give thanks to all who replied to me, I thought that I had did so previously but looking through the page I see I didn't.My problem was as many suggested was the media that I was using. I found an old dvd-rw disc and burned an iso file I had on my hard drive and it was smooth sailing again. Got some better discs and no more problems. Again thanks to one and all!!