1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Speed Disconnects

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Glitched, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Glitched

Glitched Guest

Does high speed internet such as roger disconnect after not being active for a few hours

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

They supply you with a cable modem -- as long as that modem is'nt turned off -- you are connected to the Internet. It does not matter if your Pc is ON or OFF.

3. Glitched

Glitched Guest

ohh ic thx for the info

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

not true with all ISPs. My buddy has DSL through Prodigy, and after a certain time of inactivity, his service will disconnect. So call and ask the ISP you are going to sign up with and ask before you join.

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

@djscoop [bold]Not TRue ?????[/bold]

Rogers is not DSL -- and it is in Ontario Canada. and the post did say "" They supply you "" and I am with Rogers too !

Secondly , irregardless of what your friend says --- DSL or ADSL is a bridged network and as long as a bridge (wrongly called a modem) is inserted in that line , the connection is maintained ; the only way to measure inactivity is to remove that bridge ( unpowering the modem )!

Your nitpicking is not appreciated. !

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2006
  6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no flames!!!

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

I do not appreciate being called a [bold]LIAR[bold] ! The thread question was asking about Rogers !

8. ddp

Jeanc1, remember that djscoop is in the states & not canada so some isp's not using dsl might be set differently. i was asked that about dialup with primus by a customer that was being dropped when online for a few hours with no activity or doing a long slow download of a file.

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I am sorry to have upset you so much, ma'am. I was not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that I do know someone who's ISP initiates an auto-disconnect after x hours of inactivity. I didn't know if rogers was cable or dsl, since he doesn't specify. take a chill pill lady...

10. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

@ddp (Moderator)

Dialup are dialup -- this is a cable or DSL hook up this thread is about ! Dialup operates on regular telephone lines -- when a person leaves a PC connected on dialup for long period without activity, it is normal that an ISP will break the connection ; Telephone Central Offices would jam up if too many lines were permanently held creating bottlenecks for other users of telephony !

ADSL or DSL used over the same type of line or thru cable network are totally different ! On regular phone lines, they do not affect a Central Telephony Office -- the signal is split before entering the Telephone Network and hence cannot tied up a line.

When used on Cable system, they are part of a Network as a bridge, and have to be recognized first and allocated a special ID code to become activated -- once this is done , they are on 24/7 -- if they were to be removed , they would require a rebalancing of the whole leg of that Network -- It is an Always On connection that is made, turning the power off that bridge is what would disconnect it.

As for your person using a dialup with Primus -- it could very well be the server she was downloading from that kicked him/her out -- many server have criterias on slowpokes !

In closing , I see this is going to go into semantics -- after all an Afterdawn Addict is without reproach !! <<smiles>>

Kindly render my account INACTIVE -- Thank you and others on here for their help and support !

11. ddp

no addict is above approach. i would ban an addict just as i would do a regular member whether newbie upto senior. take some time off from this site & consider what you asked me to do as it is a pleasure to work with you on this site. what part of canada are you in?

12. djscoop

djscoop Active member

so rather than apologizing for over-reacting, you'd rather have a mod ban you and not be a part of aD anymore...I guess no matter how hard I try I will never understand women...

13. ddp

djscoop, this comment might not have helped "take a chill pill lady".

14. djscoop

djscoop Active member

true, I appologize for the chill pill, I was just so shocked at how much I was lashed out at for my comment about DSL...

15. ddp

i did as she requested

16. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Bummer...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  17. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Just to be clear: yes.
    Highspeed PPPoE (through the telephone line) does.
    Highspeed through RG-58 cable (in Canada, that would be Rogers) does not, as Jeanc1 noted.
    It is important to 'reboot' your cable modem maybe once/month, because some have never rebooted in AGES, LoL - it is the first thing Rogers techsupport will tell you to do ;^)
    Now, technically the typical PPPoE connection will timeout and disconnect after a predetermined user-selectable time period, but to be [bold]picky[/bold] the actual PPPoE modem will not lose its 'synch' with its local distribution centre - only its TCP/IP connection will lapse, and it might be assigned a new IP address when the PPPoE reconnects (unlike cable you need a Username and Password).
    So in a way, the PPPoE modem also maintains a connection anytime it's switched on, too...
    Anyway the question was not specific enough, and therefore cannot be argued about.
    Jeanc1 come back, djscoop is okay - he's a good guy actually. I did not see any insult intended.
    'scoop was just clarifying the issue (as I would have if I had seen it first).
    Where was this originally posted? I got here through Safety Valve and there is no way to tell.
    ddp please put Jeanc1 back, close this thread and there you go.
    Regards

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  18. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

don't blame yourself scoop. i'm sure it had nothing to do with you as to why she lashed out.

19. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

The_OGS -

Please, don't take offence, but it is the mods duty to make the decisions, hence the reason they are assigned as mods and given the required powers..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  20. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

@ Lethal_B
    So what's your point? I certainly never said otherwise.
    I agree with Ireland - he's a moderator, right?
    I'm just asking ddp something, making a suggestion.
    He's a big lad, and makes his own decisions.
    If you don't want Jeanc1 back or have no opinion, just say so.
    Don't belittle me for having an opinion (and offering it).
    I will continue to offer my opinions - don't be overly concerned about mods actually listening to me ;^)