1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP SP2 not work on RAID mobo's?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by integraol, Feb 7, 2006.

1. integraol

integraol Member

I was thinking of getting XP with SP2, however I’ve heard and seen problems with people running a motherboard with a RAID controller.

I have an Abit mobo that has RAID... the 2 main IDE ports I run my DVD and DVD-RW drive each as Masters... and the 2 other IDE ports I have my 2 HDD's each as masters.

I was just told that you just need to turn OFF the RAID so that Windows will work, but if i do that, it will not see my HDD's. But I WANT to keep each drive as a master (utilizing all 4 IDE ports).

Thoughts?

Thanks all!
    J

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

if you dont have a problem then dont try to fix it... stop believing everything you here.

leave your computer alone if it works

3. integraol

integraol Member

there is a problem... it dosent work.
    it comes up saying CAN NOT INSTALL WINDOWS XP BECAUSE OF NO HDD.

regular XP and SP1 both work fine... SP2 is giving me this problem.

4. integraol

integraol Member

btw, i'm running an AMD processor if that makes any diffrence... i know that were were some issues with AMD when XP first came out... lagging at startup and what not.

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  6. integraol

integraol Member

there are'nt 2 IDE ports on the mobo... there are 4... which has 1 drive on it thus making them each Masters.

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

8. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

when windows xp is setting up it says "press f6 to install 3rd part raid software" - thats what you need to do, you need to find the sata driver for your motherboard (your mobo driver cd may have a utility to create a floppy disk with these drivers on)

when youve loaded the driver it will work

9. integraol

integraol Member

pulsar , again... 4 IDE SLOTS... meaning i'm able to have 8 drives all on at the same time.

"when windows xp is setting up it says "press f6 to install 3rd part raid software" - thats what you need to do, you need to find the sata driver for your motherboard (your mobo driver cd may have a utility to create a floppy disk with these drivers on)

when youve loaded the driver it will work"
    SypherTek, yes i've already attempted this... did'nt work... still dosent see the drives on the other 2 IDE slots (the hdd's).
    i've tested this 2 ways so far... if i use an XP CD with SP2 already on it, this happen's.... if i use an XP CD with SP0, it installs fine, then i just add SP2 after that.

Why is that?
    Thanks!
    J

10. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

maybe your sp2 disk is screwed...

if it works using an old disk and then updating to sp2 then do that... i have no idea why one disk would pick the drives up but the other wouldnt... the installer is still EXACTLY the same and has been for every XP version so i dont see how or why it would make a difference. it should only be affected by a different serivce pack once the OS is actually installed not during the set up

11. integraol

integraol Member

hmm, interesting... alright i'll just go with the old XP disk and update...

Thanks for the help!
    J

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member