1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xcp running in your system

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by victorgon, Feb 13, 2006.

1. victorgon

victorgon Guest

can any one please tell me how to get out of my computer
    sony's invasive drm software call XCP?
    i have that but do not know how to take it from my computer
    can any of you guys please help?
    thank you very much

2. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

there are some removal instructions here...

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html

but as far as i am aware there is only one way to truly be sure its gone, and that would be to back up all the personal stuff you want to keep. Wipe the drives and start again. Not the answer you were looking for I'm sure but I dont think there is another gteed way.

I hope the above link works for you, but be prepared for a system reinstall if it doesnt work.

:(

T

3. orb.fl

orb.fl Guest

I agree with Mr Taz. Wipe the drives. There is a manual uninstall but it might make your operating system unstable and it is kind of complicated and maybe not worth the effort.
    I would stay away from the Sony uninstall, after all they installed the root kit. If you read Sony/Bmg uninstall page especially at the bottom. They mention popular links to anti spyware/virus software. They do not endorse those company’s so you should use them at your own risk. How funny is that. Those company’s don’t install root kits, Sony does.

I will also suggest you buy some type of imaging software and clone your hard drive when you are sure everything is running perfect. That way you can easily do a restore if you mess up your operating system. Just make sure you back up your data as Mr Taz has mentioned. Also go to Mark Russinovich’s blog and learn about Sony’s root kit. He is the one who uncovered it